HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: How to make a Lifesize fiberglass character?

Hybrid View

1. Default How to make a Lifesize fiberglass character? 
    Ok so my friend is an artist and im better at the hands on making of stuff. I have experience making molds of masks and lifecasts and what not. He asked me if I could take one of his drawings and turn it into like a 5 1/2 - 6 foot statue out of fiberglass. My question is how do i go about doing this? Do i have to sculpt a 6 foot monster and make a HUUUUGE mold or what? Any help would be amazing! Id like to have it finished by summer.

Thanks,
    Brady

2. Default  
    You could just sculpt it in Styrofoam/ EPS foam then coat it in fiberglass. You will have to cover the sculpted foam in aluminum foil before coating it with fiberglass. The fiberglass resin will eat the foam if you do not. Or if it doesn't have to be fiberglass you could use something else to coat the foam that wouldn't melt it, but would give you a relatively hard coat.

Louis Brown
    Owner, operator, and dish washer
    at
    DarkWood Manor

3. Default Don't breathe the Fumes. 
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    Investigate the need for a resperator when doing fiberglass. Liver damage? death? Play safe.

4. Default  
    I'd definitely recommend making it out of coated eps over fiberglass if you have that option, you'll be able to do more detail with far less work. Fiberglass you'd definitely want to make a mold first if you want the surface to be uniform. and TOTALLY take jims advice on the respirator... eye protection while you're mixing too. ive heard some horror stories of shop assistants going blind from the catylist. *shudder*

I work with fiberglass quite regularly now, but a year ago i had never touched it. ITS NOT FUN STUFF. at all. in fact, its the only thing about fx work that i hate.

5. Default  
    I have switched almost exclusively to resin, not quite twice the price but NO FUMES!
    Can you show us a picture of the character so we can give better advice?

6. Default  
    Im interested lol! what kind of resin are you using? and just resin or are you imbedding fiberglass or some kind of filler in there to strengthen it? If i can find a viable alternative to fiberglass work i'm totally going to take it. HATE the stuff. (slivers and fumes specifically.)

Thread Information