HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Claustrophobia DIY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Claustrophobia DIY 
    I would like to make my own Claustrophobia effect, I know so many haunts use them but I hear alot of customers walking out of the haunts talking about that room with the black walls that squeezed you to deathr. As far as I can see it is just made of vinyl fabric and a blower.
    I would think the vinyl would be attached to backing- plywood maybe, the blower in-take and a vent so it doesnt just explode.
    does this sound right? Has anyone esle made one before or know how to?
    Thanks!
    haunt man
    Last edited by Haunt man; 03-01-2012 at 09:06 PM.

2. Default Things to ponder 
    I am going to utilize this effect in our show this year. I will be using a half one. Being pretty good at figuring things out I did some research on making my own. First I need to buy the material. 2nd I need to get it vinyl welded so it doesnt loose air. 3rd I need to buy a fan. By the Time I run around and get all this done I save maybe $150. I'm buying one. It is very tough for me to pay for things I know I can do myself. However, I have learned( and still need to remind myself) that I am way happier, less stressed out, and more productive when sometimes I just write a check. Good luck.

Chaos
    Capt.Chaos
    Fear Asylum Haunted House
    Brookings,SD

fear-asylum.com

3. Default  
    Chaos,
    I do REALLY understand you point. Where do you plan on buying yours? I looked around and the best price I can find for one is around $1500 for a 8footer and a long one (24ft) is about $2000. I thought of maybe using the stuff they make moon bounces because they sell kits to make repairs and all you do is sew it together. plus the blower.

4. Default  
    From past experience, I can't stress enough that the ONLY blower anyone should bbuy is a B-air blower, they are the ONLY ones anyone with an IQ above 1 and knows anything about inflatables, knows B-AIR is the best. Why not make a 4 ft one too?? If EVERYONE has the big black walls, why not do something unique?? Use a TON of chilled fog over a 4' inflatable wall instead and make them Wade through a path. Or buy a clear vinyl and have an actor inside with a heavy strobe taunting them?? If you're handy enough to make youre oown, don't settle for the standard!

5. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by screamforadream View Post
    From past experience, I can't stress enough that the ONLY blower anyone should bbuy is a B-air blower, they are the ONLY ones anyone with an IQ above 1 and knows anything about inflatables, knows B-AIR is the best. Why not make a 4 ft one too?? If EVERYONE has the big black walls, why not do something unique?? Use a TON of chilled fog over a 4' inflatable wall instead and make them Wade through a path. Or buy a clear vinyl and have an actor inside with a heavy strobe taunting them?? If you're handy enough to make youre oown, don't settle for the standard!
    I really like the idea for the clear vinyl, I actually just bought a roll of clear vinyl for some props. I may have to try that... back light it with a strobe, yeah, I'm diggin it!

6. Default Ah hell 
    Alright Bobby. Now ya have me thinking about building my own again. Ours will be about waist high with fog and green lasers above it. People will be "wading" through our sewer. Not tough to build by any means but the issue is I think they vinyl weld these things together. Otherwise if you just sewed them I think they would leak. material is a vinyl tent material about 10 oz. I think. I was going to look into doing a package deal with G.Maser as I need a tent for one of my other business anyway.

Chaos
    Capt.Chaos
    Fear Asylum Haunted House
    Brookings,SD

fear-asylum.com

7. Default  
    I just bought a 16' squeeze room from George Maser 864-761-7223 www.tentsandsigns.com. Real good price.

8. Default  
    Hahaha, sorry about that! ;P

And if you have ever been in any commercial inflatable, (bounce house, slide, etc) you'll notice that anywhere the seams are, there's usually air coming out. THAT IS OKAY. It's supposed to happen! You want a constant flow, otherwise your material could burst, or easily cut. My BIGGEST concern with waist high inflatable material would be patrons shoes ripping the bottoms, so be sure to actually design it with EXTRA vinyl in the middle, so that the bulge is wider, and your customers shoes won't be kicking at the seam, also lessening your concerns about the vinyl welding you may or may not be doing if you DIY.

I was on my phone before, here's the blowers I was talking about, http://www.b-air.com/inflatable/prod...FUHf4Aodmwtr_Q ALOT of 3rd parties sell them for more, and less of advertised price, don't be afraid to shop around for them, Google Shopping is incredible! lol. But do beware of USED fans, if they aren't taken care of there's a much greater chance of an electrical issue or a jammed fan.

If you go full size and have an actor in it, do your plywood frame, and drill maybe1/4" holes across the bottom of the plywood, to act as a vent, and try to make that actor entrance into the piece as tightly sealed as possible, a door snake would come in handy here! lol. Even blood spatter on the inside of it would look creepy with a strobe and clear vinyl, I'd like to make one this year (if there's time), I'm investing in an already made hospital themed attraction, and for the mental ward part I'd like to make it inflatable, so the mental actors can be crazy, i picture a typical crazy guy, a boy dressed in little girls dance clothes and a creepy doll dance partner, my mind is spinning, I really want to take a twist on already existing effects and turn them into something no one has ever seen before!!! =)

9. Default  
    heres a thought, if you go with the clear and put a actor inside youll have to sew their costume together and in to thier shoes as well you will need to find a way to keep theier costume tight altogether. Other wise it will be blown everywhere and just be a mess.
    Great Ideas! im going to have to build this soon! I have one project going right now as soon as wthats done ill move to this and ill keep everyone posted and upload a video when im done!
    Happy haunting!

10. Default  
    Sounds great! Keep us posted!

Thread Information