HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Money Back Haunt LLC. (BS scheme or good marketing?)

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by carnagecrew View Post
    I'm going to have to go with a scam on this as well. I mean, I think they run a legit business, and while the money back company themselves I don't think is a scam, I think they are sugar coating you scamming your own customers. You might make a couple bucks the first year - but when word gets out its a separate attraction that you have to do something completely outrageous to get through ( not being so scared you don't make it out, which to me is what a money back haunt implies) People will catch on, and stop coming.
    BINGO....I talked with one of them for 10 minutes (he talked at me). I am really hoping this just falls flat on its face and no one bites. It appears it is not what is advertised to the public....a money back haunt....but puke or something else unrelated to haunting. I have too good a reputation and word of mouth BRINGS people to my place. Why in hell would I jeapordise that and want to make my customers leave feeling they were duped.

Wicked Farmer

2. Default  
    Let's face it, haunted houses are designed for our customers to walk through (or ride, if a hay ride). Sense when are we NOT going to let people finish? Unless someone pulls a weapon or physically stops me from attending the attraction, I'm finishing. If they ask me to eat or drink something...then no way -I'll eat (and drink) before I go; or ask me to swim, walk through knee deep mud or manure, climb a 20 rope, etc. We are not an "eat gross stuff industry" or a "ruin your clothes and get a work out industry" -we are haunted attractions. Unless I advertise those other features, I'm not going to require my customers to do them.

I talked to the money back people and they claim there is no trickery, etc. I don't know how else they can do it. In the end, if the customer feels they were scammed or tricked, then watch out because with social media -your haunt will be know as the big scam and that will take some time to recover from. You will have one good weekend and then nothing but damage control after that.

I offer money back as a promo (as noted in an earlier post). If you want to know how I do it send me a note and I will explain.

jeslich@gmail.com

3. Default  
    They do not own any patent on the idea. They have a patent pending on "The Money Back Challenge." I have already informed them that I am challenging the patent. In order to receive a patent on this idea, it must be a new or novel concept. I have informed them that in 2000 and several other years myself and my former partner created the first successful money back haunt in the states. And yes, there was a challenge involved. So by them claiming this idea as their own, it is a completely false statement. My lawyer is turning in all our advertising, all media coverage, copies of all our web pages, articles from around the web and our financial records from each year. Along with past approved Service marks and Trademarks. I do not believe they will ever get the Trademark approved.

The concept works for a couple of years then fades off. I would not recommend anyone doing this idea or for sure not paying a fee to learn how. I can explain exactly how it was done to great success without paying for a territory or license.

Howie "Slobber" Erlich
    Slobber Entertainment, LLC.

4. Default  
    ^ Yes to everything John said!

The only way you could do this would be like "Fear Factory LIVE" and award cash prizes if they can do the challenge, other than that your customers will be pissed.
    If they have a trademark there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON THEY CAN'T RELEASE FULL DETAILS.
    Owner of The Fear Experience Haunted House in Cleveland, Ohio, voted the #1 haunted house in Ohio, and #14 in America by Funtober. The Fear Experience Haunted House was called the premier haunted attraction in northeast ohio by cleveland.com and #1 in cleveland by metromix.

5. Default Agree with all of you especially Shane 
    This will only hurt those that get into this and then the rest of us sometime later. I said it as soon as I heard they were in the show on Thursday before I even got on the floor.

Maybe we should sue the green guys for attempting to sell something that appears to be similar to a haunted house but is actually a fear factor show (who should also sue them ).

These guys claimed they were not part of the Haunted Castle in Kentucky, but it sounds identical to what they are selling. So it seems to me that they are taking someone else's idea and trying to sell it. The Haunted Castle is in Hustonville, Kentucky and it is these guys who have done this for a few years that should be suing the green guys.

Check out their challenge web page http://www.hustonville.com/panicroom.html for yourself. I called and talke to the guys in Kentucky and he said the three challenges were 1. lay in a casket that has snakes released into it for a few minutes, 2. lay in another casket that has rats released into it, 3. eat something that was brought in from the stockyard that was edible but not very palatable. Now anyone that feels the need to spend money on this idea owes me a beer for finders fee !

A few years ago I learned about trademarks and patents when a guy called me from another similar named haunt and discussed his claim to the name of each of our haunts. It was a trademark in "logo only", or "service mark" as the words were too common just like these green guys. The following comes directly from the United States Trademark website.

Notice the words in the disclaimer below about "no claim is made ..."

Registration Number 4076575
    Registration Date December 27, 2011
    Owner (REGISTRANT) Tennessee Community Enrichment, Inc. CORPORATION TENNESSEE 360 Willow Bough Lane Old Hickory TENNESSEE 37138
    Disclaimer NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "MONEY BACK" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN
    Type of Mark SERVICE MARK
    Register PRINCIPAL
    Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

AND here is the other one

Filing Date June 21, 2011
    Current Filing Basis 1A
    Original Filing Basis 1A
    Published for Opposition October 4, 2011
    Registration Number 4074303
    Registration Date December 20, 2011
    Owner (REGISTRANT) Tennessee Community Enrichment, Inc. CORPORATION TENNESSEE 360 Willow Bough Lane Old Hickory TENNESSEE 37138
    Disclaimer NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "MONEY BACK" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN
    Type of Mark SERVICE MARK
    Register PRINCIPAL
    Live/Dead Indicator LIVE
    Attached Images
    Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
    Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Haunted Cave, Fort Wayne Indiana

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.facebook.com/hauntedcave

6. Default  
    The Biggest Scam i've ever seen at Transworld and they should have been thrown out of the show. People like this give our industry a bad name with the public and on top of that, they were STUPID enough to come to the industries show and try to scam all there fellow haunters, they should be black balled out of the industry. They are just a group of ASSHOLES

Robert J Dudzieck
    All Seasons Entertainment LLC
    Fright Factory
    The Dead Zone

7. Default  
    THESE GUYS LIED THROUGH THEIR TEETH!
    a service mark means nothing, it means you can't use their "logo" or anything really really close.
    Owner of The Fear Experience Haunted House in Cleveland, Ohio, voted the #1 haunted house in Ohio, and #14 in America by Funtober. The Fear Experience Haunted House was called the premier haunted attraction in northeast ohio by cleveland.com and #1 in cleveland by metromix.

8. Default  
    Somebody at Transworld recommended that I visit www.HauntScam.com for more information on this awesome money-making opportunity
    Last edited by Dark Attraction; 03-14-2012 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Parse link

9. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrorknight View Post
    The Biggest Scam i've ever seen at Transworld and they should have been thrown out of the show. People like this give our industry a bad name with the public and on top of that, they were STUPID enough to come to the industries show and try to scam all there fellow haunters, they should be black balled out of the industry. They are just a group of ASSHOLES

Robert J Dudzieck
    All Seasons Entertainment LLC
    Fright Factory
    The Dead Zone

Come on Robert, this isn't like you. Tell us how you REALLY feel!

Good talking with you last week!

Allan

10. Default  
    Hi everyone. I'm the owner of Money Back Haunts, LLC. I developed this idea at my own Haunted Attraction 3 years ago. I feel I'm in a witch hunt here so I'll try not to get too involved with the attacks. If you don't like the idea, that's ok, but what I do works, and it gives customers a reason to spend more money at your Haunt for entertainment, and it has people returning to my Haunted Attraction. The numbers don't lie. With the License, I'm giving Haunts the "boost" they need in Marketing Efforts and Draw. Once they're there, provide them a great experience, including your Haunt, and they'll return - the idea is quite simple, yet effective.

It's not for everyone but it's certainly not a scam. This is an idea that I've adapted and developed and yes, hold all Trademarks for my naming rights. I went to the extent of protecting myself because I know how valuable this System can be because I've seen it work at my place. If it's not for you, that's ok, but we're gonna help alot of Attractions this year. Big and Small. I understand people are skeptical, but "scam" is a little harsh and completely inaccurate.

This idea is about entertainment (we're all in the entertainment industry) and at my Haunt, people want it. Year after Year. And my numbers prove it.

I'll be happy to explain it in more detail and feel free to email me with any specific questions at Chris[MENTION=21092]MoneyBackHaunts.com[/MENTION]. But again, I'm a Haunt owner, like you, who is trying to share my successes with others around the Industry. I'm a Haunter first and am not here to "scam" anyone. I hope after more Haunts use my License this year, others will see the benefits of it, like I have seen at my own Haunt.

Thread Information