HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Zoning question..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Zoning question.. 
    If a 6+ acre property is type:residential, does that eliminate it from our uses in the haunt industry?

I found an awesome plot of land with a desperate seller, who im thinking of proposing a profit sharing first year with potential buying if it goes well.

The land is totally treed and would be great for a haunted trail. But im wondering since its residential if that automatically negates the idea?

2. Default  
    And here is the link to it in case you want to take a look.

Just off an interstate highway, and there's an electrical station just next door which is on the left on the map pic. Pretty awesome for a haunt but I wouldn't want it for a home lol.

3. Default  
    You will have to talk to the city about the possibility of rezoning the lot. If it's a rural location I'd think you'd have a better chance than say if it were in the middle of a neighborhood.

In most, if not all, cases being on a residential lot prevents you from operating any form of business on your land... Which obviously makes running a haunt a bit hard.

4. Default  
    That's not great news

Thanks for the reply anyway tho.

5. Default  
    Well don't get disgruntled yet... Talk to the city and see what they say. It's not unheard of to get property rezoned!

6. Default zoning... 
    Yeah try talking to the city first....sometimes when a single family home on a spot lot (not in a neighborhood) isn't run down or not bringing in the tax revenue it should they can be talked into changing it to a new zone that will. Property here has done just that & now the properties are selling for 5 times what they were! So negotiate your deal prior to getting zoning changed. Worth a shot! Just my two cents. Good luck.

P.

7. Default  
    How would I get that question answered, seeing as im not the owner of the property?

Also, is there some type of TEMPORARY exemption anybody has heard of that I can discuss, so we could do one event?

Thanks guys

8. Default temporary.... 
    Hey Scotty,
    Here in NJ we do have what they call a "temporary event" that is approved for "X" amount of days & is voted on by city committee. You can look into that, as far as trying to change zoning...you usually can apply on behalf of the owner with owners consent to the zoning board. It would be good for the owner to actually attend the mtg. & speak to them showing his support &/or reasons for the change (ie: increased tax revenue/rateable, turning the area into a positive viable commercial establishment vs. existing, etc.) Good luck.

P.

9. Default  
    You or the owner should be able to get answers if you explain what you're wanting to do... Just talk to the city!

As far as temporary exemption... Just talk to the city!

Noticing a trend yet?

10. Default  
    Yes I am definitely noticing a trend!

That's great news about the temp license in nj. Actually inspiring news all around.

Ok one major question... when everybody here says talk to the city, I think my problem is Idk WHO. City planning commission? City council? Also who are these building inspectors I need to ask about codes? (That is prob an unrelated question)

Thanks again for all the ideas guys.

Thread Information