HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Build Progress...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by BrotherMysterio View Post
    You know, I'm seriously liking the look of these buildings. When you said "carports", I was thinking of something a bit more rinky-dink than that.

What are the dimensions of these buildings, and where did you get them from? Link? What do they look like when they break down and get stored away? (Assuming you need to, of course.)

C.

I'm not sure where Frightener got them but a quick google search pointed me to carportempire.com and they even list prices.

A frames >> http://www.carportempire.com/building-prices/g1-2.php
    O'Shawn McClendon
    Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

2. Default  
    coasttocoastcarports.com But, they actually have a few websites. When I first got a hold of them, it was through a brochure from a dealer locally. Whenever you see one of those round topped carports that say "Starting at $595" , that's usually them.

These are 24 x 41 ft. They really don't need to get taken down and stored away. That's a lot of work! Plus, you'd be putting a lot of new holes where they shouldn't be. Really, in my opinion, these things shouldn't be moved more than once. After that the metal would be having so many holes in the joints they'd be weakened for sure.

They've already gotten much more sturdy since putting up the one side.

I don't have a diagram available to link just yet, but these buildings and the tunnel leaving the house that goes to the buildings will NOT be intersecting. Instead, we have a design of wall systems that patrons can't look out, and people can't see in while people are transitioning from one section to the next. They won't be connected at all. This is what the FM and I agreed upon that'll be safe and legal. He said "Man, as far as i'm concerned we're good. Just get your building permits and zoning and you should be good to go!"

... So here we are! lol.

Dewayne

3. Default  
    Well, let me congratulate you on a brilliant solution. I was seriously having doubts, having seen some rather rinky-dink carports before, but those are quite impressive.

I can't wait to see how this build progresses.

C.

4. Default  
    Thanks, C.

Well, I don't have pics ready, ( i know, stfu and come back when I have em, right? lol) But we got our first end wall done. Still need the gable end of the building done, but not sure what "budget" way we're going about it. We got our 4' forier (sp?) done and about 8 or 9 panels up. I've already started with the foam on the outside. For kicks, before it stormed today I did some carving on the foam.

To cut cost down, we decided to use only 1 sheet of 1/2" foam on the wall panels, only on the outside portion though. I'm doing 2ft blocks center stacked to make it easier. I've got some heatgun work done, but realized that I need a lot more to go.
    Speaking of the foam, I have a question. I've seen talk about hard coating the foam. But what IS the main reason? Once we heat it, the foam gets very hard. Heck, my dremel even had a hard time going back over some of the work because it was so hard. Is it jsut for patron durability? If pat's aren't going to be touching it much, should I just paint it and see how it goes?

Also got some props going as well. I'm trying to replicate one of my favorite scene's in Larry's The Darkness tour. It was the bald dude with a egyption cross necklace over a broken tomb / sarcophagus. I loved that scene so I found a mask I thought was close and made a PVC frame with chicken wire sculpt. He's a little square but I think will look good.

Thanks, I'll get some pics of in a day or so :P

Dewayne

5. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Frightener View Post
    Speaking of the foam, I have a question. I've seen talk about hard coating the foam. But what IS the main reason? Once we heat it, the foam gets very hard. Heck, my dremel even had a hard time going back over some of the work because it was so hard. Is it jsut for patron durability? If pat's aren't going to be touching it much, should I just paint it and see how it goes?
    I idea behind building fake sets (foam walls included) is to reproduce the look and feel of the actual material you're duplicating. The hard coat should give you a bonding surface for your paint as well as acting as a more durable coating than the foam it self.

6. Default  
    Thought I'd post a few pics I took.

100_3376.JPG100_3377.JPG100_3378.JPG100_3379.JPG100_3380.JPG

Not a lot of progress comparatively to you pro's out there, but we got a bit done the other day. We've cut budget so I've had to cut costs. We went down to the half inch foam by itself for the facade and completely cutting out the 2+" foam all together.
    My sister in law works at a hospital. She's been bringing home about 3 or 4 large foam coolers a week. These things are about 1.5 foot by 2 foot in size and over 2 inches thick! I get the lid, bottom and all 4 sides. These will be able to give me some larger boulders inside the first 2 rooms to simulate the rock style caverns.

I have a TON of more work per block, I know. :P

Dewayne

7. Default Metal Buildings 
    There are a number of companies that build these things out here in the south. I had one built for my camper, which has a desk around it (camper is on blocks). They covered the camper and the deck for about $4000. Its a big building, at least 45ft long by 30-40ft wide. I just had a 10x20 metal shop delivered a few months ago and that ran around $4000. Check out Leonard buildings. They can make them any design you want. Not very portable though. I mean you can take these things down and store them but these are solid buildings so it is going to take some work to dismantle them.
    Travis "Big T" Russell
    President
    Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

8. Default  
    Good looking wall panel jig!

C.

9. Default  
    Thanks. Not bad I guess for a first timer :P

10. Default  
    Thanks. Not bad I guess for a first timer :P
    Indeed, and we are going to start building some wall panels, and I'll be using that jig as a reference and general guide for what we are doing.

C.

Thread Information