HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: How do you build wall panels?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default  
    rfsystems, we just finished / finalized that very thing ourselves.

In fact, it's coming down to the wire! This is our first year so we had to start from scratch. ZERO wall panels and such. I just got done redesigning my building #2 (part 2 of the haunt, building 3 is maze only) and when I was done, I figured up that I was saving us over $400 in mats and lots of hardwork! I only cutout 2 hallways, that was it believe it or not. Since we're in small (1,000 sq ft) buildings anyways, I figured why waste space on hallways? I still have 1 hallway, but it crucial to our layout / story / setup.

So, also, never hesitate to redo the layout, or to rethink things. I saved a lot of money by doing it this new way and actually, it's going to be easier and I think I'm liking it BETTER than the original.

Allen is right, btw. You'd be totally surprised on how much more sturdy that thing will be with 4 pies on the corners. I've seen 2x2 panels with luan, 3 vert's and I bounced off of it and it was like a BRICK!. Didn't move. I looked at the backsides and it WAS an H, but when I tried to move it, jees.. nah. wasn 't movin! Had one laying on the floor and it felt very solid! much more than I'd figured. So yeah, you have to build smart. When in doubt, SCREW IT SOME MORE! Add pies / triangles, just get to where YOU feel good about it and you're good to go.

Ohh, I also had an impact wall by itself with very little support. This was one of the big fixes I made. Be sure to try and think of everything. Ceiling height, (may have to build wall panels shorter for some reason), impact, lighting, and the "what if's" Just because it's RARE, doesn't mean it WON'T happen.

Looks like you're getting all kinds of help. Post some pics if you can, when you start construction. We likes pics :P

Dewayne

2. Default  
    Wow all great advice on how to make walls stronger. In the JB Corn book, I saw he used triangles on every panel that was single sided, so that thought is now implanted! Using more screws i didnt think of (dont know why) Thanks to all of you! Now back to Dewayne's progress thread sorry to jack...

Btw man im loving the look of the carports. Having a continuous haunt that goes inside to outside to inside etc will add a unique dynamic to your haunt! Also can't wait to see why a hallway is crucial to your story line, that sounds cool.

3. Cool  
    You can't build wa;l;s out of triangles guys. They wouldnt fit together.

4. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hell House 666 LLC View Post
    You can't build wa;l;s out of triangles guys. They wouldnt fit together.
    What specific triangles are you referring to?

C.
    Last edited by BrotherMysterio; 07-21-2012 at 06:27 PM.

5. Default  
    Hell house, wha are you talking about? this is the third odd/stupid/wrong thing you have said in as many posts.

6. Cool  
    ALAN, OBVIOSLY WALL PANELS HAVE TO BE RECTANGLES. HOW ELSE WOULD YOU MAKE A MAZE?

I'VE BUILT PLENTLY OF WALLS. i JUSST NEEDED TO KNOW A BETTER WAY. SORRY NO ONE HERE COULD HELP.

7. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hell House 666 LLC View Post
    ALAN, OBVIOSLY WALL PANELS HAVE TO BE RECTANGLES. HOW ELSE WOULD YOU MAKE A MAZE?
    It is customary to add plywood triangles to the corners of various framing conventions to strengthen and reinforce the usually rectangular frame. The triangles in question usually have an angle break-down of 90-45-45, ergo, they thus fit neatly into corners based on a 90 angle, which, as it happens, most rectangles do.

That's what was being referred to.

C.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by BrotherMysterio; 07-22-2012 at 12:09 AM.

8. Default  
    One method (couldn't find a pic with plywood)

ps2.jpg

9. Default  
    "ALAN, OBVIOSLY WALL PANELS HAVE TO BE RECTANGLES. HOW ELSE WOULD YOU MAKE A MAZE?

I'VE BUILT PLENTLY OF WALLS. i JUSST NEEDED TO KNOW A BETTER WAY. SORRY NO ONE HERE COULD HELP."

Hell House, in my post I said "You can use plywood triangles on the non skinned side to strengthen the corners" nothing about that says to build triangular wall panels. My name is my screen name, and I sign most of my posts, take a second and look at who you are addressing and bother to spell the name right.
    You're "Sorry no one here could help"? People did help, they tried to help you with an answer to your vague question which could have been easily searched and found an answer for. If ALL the answers posted still have not helped you build a wall panel then you should not build one.
    It is obvious that you are VERY new to haunting and the message boards, why not just read them for a few weeks and get a feel for them, try searching for your questions before you ask them, and if you dont understand an answer you were given then ask questions to clarify instead of assuming they were wrong.
    Try to be courteous to others by not wasting their time. May I ask how old you are, it might help to clarify some behavior?
    Allen H

10. Default  
    I'm guessing he lives in Virginia, english is not his normal language, spanish is sort of, and even that is messed up because he is deaf and about 34 by now and on drugs. But, that is just a guess. Decorating the front porch of his dad's house is a challenge with help from his uncle, freind next door and maybe grandfather?

And for people in altered conciousnesses like this I AM THE MODERATOR EL SUPREMO and you CAN make a rectangle out of two triangles if they are in the same plane and the length and hypotenuse is larger/greater than the width. It just requires screws that are 48 inches long. Then file the ends off if they stick out anywhere. Do not use power tools for any of this screwing or filing, do it all old school for quality.
    Last edited by Greg Chrise; 07-22-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Thread Information