HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: The Ballad of a First Time Haunt...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Warfield View Post
    Use boxes instead, a whole roomfull of them. (Returned items unable to be delivered from outer Space)
    Some of the boxes have real people in them (who need no costumes) they just move their box around.
    Some boxes are filled with deadly creatures from long lost galaxys, or maybe Impalas? (Buick specials?)
    Jim, scarily enough, I was on that same wavelength with my ideas for the cursed warehouse, the majority of my sets were going to be boxes and pallets. I'll be putting that one away for a rainy day.

As per Brother M's request, here's my first draft layout of the haunt. I know this will change as I need to get exact measurements of the changing rooms and those pointed walls, plus what the FM will have to say, plus plus, it's only a first draft. Details to follow:

hauntmap1.jpg

The Yellow areas are my exit corridors.
    The Green Areas are possible hidey hole locations.
    The Blue spaces are the unused dressing rooms. You'll note that one is not colored blue and has what looks to be a toilet in it. That's where I was thinking of having a little joke, patrons walking in on a clown "using the facilities". A tension breaker before the next scare.
    The Reddish dots are doors to the corridors and between scenes.
    The Orange is the back door that leads to the warehouse, where the break area/make up/wardrobe will be.
    The Purple Dots are areas where I was thinking of putting curtains/streamers/etc, to help separate areas.
    The Grey areas are those pointed walls, unusable space. I was thinking of lining the ones on the right side of the space with mirrors.

Areas 5 & 6 are the ones I was contemplating joining for the large open Pac-Maze/queue. I don't have any real thoughts yet what to do in each scene quite yet, just some random ideas to bounce off my Hauntelligencia when we meet on Friday.

Again, this is my first attempt at a layout, so feedback is appreciated. Thoughts/questions?

TC

2. Default  
    Here's take two on a layout, this time trying to incorporate the central corridor and reversing the direction, going clockwise through the haunt. I was able to add two more rooms, but I don't think I'm crazy about the space usage. I'm definitely going to have to work on it more.

hauntmap2.jpg

Some new additions.

Blue area - display window. I want to use it some way without giving away scares. in the previous layout, I thought about using it to highlight the "Chicken Exit". Now I might just use it to build anticipation.
    Yellow area - those are my corridors.
    Red area - thought of using a pepper's ghost effect there, possibly with an ape.

This will not be the final layout, obviously, I'm not even sure how close it will be to this. Just playing with space at this point.

TC

3. Default  
    If this is a Ballad, no one has mentioned which song we are supposed to be humming as the narrator reads the posts.

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

4. Default  
    Oh, and watch writing that word Pee to the Eye to the Cee to the Kay to the EEE to the Ell over and over or he will pop up! I hate it when that happens.

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

5. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Chrise View Post
    If this is a Ballad, no one has mentioned which song we are supposed to be humming as the narrator reads the posts.
    "Karn Evil #9" by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer.

"Come inside, the show's about to start,
    guaranteed to blow your head apart...."

TC

6. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by turkeycreaux View Post
    "come inside, the show's about to start,
    guaranteed to blow your head apart...."
    see the show!!! . . .

7. Default  
    This might give you some ideas. He has a bunch of similar videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EHkh...hannel&list=UL

8. Default  
    GAH! Trying to arrange a time to meet with the Fire Inspector is going to make me go insane(r)!

I've been trying to meet with him for the last two weeks to go look at the space and see what I need to do on my end. He keeps rescheduling the appointments. Then, last Thursday, he tells me that I need to speak with another person. So I call the other person, "Oh, he's off duty for the day." So I call back on Monday, "Oh, he's not scheduled for duty until Wednesday." So I call today, finally speak with him, "Oh, you really want the guy you were first talking with, he won't be in til Friday." I could have spoken with him YESTERDAY, had I known. But no, I have to wait til Friday now, the one day I'll be unable to meet with him unless he can meet me after 6:30pm.

On top of that, we're still waiting for the mall owners to give us our contract so I can get keys to the place.

"Let's put a haunted house together, it'll be FUN!" - Famous last words.

TC

9. Default just wait 
    There is going to be a lot of things that dont go as planed, in my experience... this is only the begining. I hate to say that, but it take patients. Focus on the things you can control, but stay after that FM, you'll get there.

10. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by turkeycreaux View Post
    "Let's put a haunted house together, it'll be FUN!" - Famous last words.
    Whose famous last words, and is the radio station backing you up, and do they have any clout?

(Also, second floor-plan . . . good use of a Central Corridor, and I like that you have a whole back area, freeing up the front floor space for a proper haunt.)

C.

Thread Information