HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: The Ballad of a First Time Haunt...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 55
  1. Default  
    #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by BrotherMysterio View Post
    Whose famous last words, and is the radio station backing you up, and do they have any clout?
    Oh that was just me venting my spleen. I didn't expect to be hit with that walking into work yesterday morning. I have the full support of the radio station, but I wouldn't want them to try to pull any power plays over something like this. I just got to keep going with my mantra, "All will be well."

    (Also, second floor-plan . . . good use of a Central Corridor, and I like that you have a whole back area, freeing up the front floor space for a proper haunt.)

    C.
    Thanks, I just want to make sure I get the most bang for my buck in terms of floor space....


    TC
     

  2. Default  
    #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by rfsystems View Post
    There is going to be a lot of things that dont go as planed, in my experience... this is only the begining. I hate to say that, but it take patients. Focus on the things you can control, but stay after that FM, you'll get there.
    Thanks. I know it's not going to be a walk on the beach, and most of the blame rests on my own shoulders for not keeping after the sales staff to get this going sooner, I was just really thinking I'd be able to get things going by now....

    Oh well, soldiering on!

    TC
     

  3. Default Well, it was fun while it lasted.... 
    #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    33
    Well, finally met with the Fire Inspector tonight. Long story short, there's a ton of exposed wiring and outlets above the drop ceiling that needs to be taken care of before I should even consider building there. From what I understand, that sort of thing is usually taken care of by the tenants, at least at this mall, and there's no way my bosses would pay to fix the wiring in a space we'd be giving up in 3 months time (basically fixing it for the next tenant). So it comes down to whether or not the mall will fix it and can get it fixed in the next 2-3 months, or I find a new space in the next week or so.


    I guess I start looking ahead to next year.


    TC
     

  4. Default  
    #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    540
    That sux TC.

    Keep your head up. I had to wait a year... sorta. I know it stinks. But think, it could be a blessing in disguise.

    Here's a thought, ask exactly "WHO" can fix the wires? Does it have to be someone they tell you, or can you hire someone yourself to get it done. I mean, if they're just loose wires or wires that need moving, any electrician can usually take care of it properly. Since it's a haunt, I'd ask "What if it's ugly?" Like, well, i'm not an electrician, but I guess I'm just saying, observe all possibilities before you give up. Make sure you can't just hire someone yourself to get rid of the hazard, and who knows, maybe work out a deal with the electrician to advertise his business for a better deal and see if he can wait till season for some of his pay.


    I'm very VERY tired, I'm just talking out my wazooo right now, I guess I'm just trying to say, look at everything and keep your head up.


    Good luck.

    Dewayne
     

  5. Default  
    #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    613
    Quote Originally Posted by Frightener View Post
    Here's a thought, ask exactly "WHO" can fix the wires? Does it have to be someone they tell you, or can you hire someone yourself to get it done. I mean, if they're just loose wires or wires that need moving, any electrician can usually take care of it properly. Since it's a haunt, I'd ask "What if it's ugly?" Like, well, i'm not an electrician, but I guess I'm just saying, observe all possibilities before you give up. Make sure you can't just hire someone yourself to get rid of the hazard, and who knows, maybe work out a deal with the electrician to advertise his business for a better deal and see if he can wait till season for some of his pay.
    If I was an electrician, I would gladly spend an afternoon tidying up some wires in exchange for lots of free advertising spots. Just sayin'.

    Quote Originally Posted by turkeycreaux View Post
    Well, finally met with the Fire Inspector tonight. Long story short, there's a ton of exposed wiring and outlets above the drop ceiling that needs to be taken care of before I should even consider building there. From what I understand, that sort of thing is usually taken care of by the tenants, at least at this mall, and there's no way my bosses would pay to fix the wiring in a space we'd be giving up in 3 months time (basically fixing it for the next tenant). So it comes down to whether or not the mall will fix it and can get it fixed in the next 2-3 months, or I find a new space in the next week or so.
    Not surprising if it turns out that the FM is a haunt virgin. He doesn't want to get dinged for anything on his watch that he doesn't quite understand. That tends to make things difficult when he has to explain to his higher-ups why the whole affair went to hell in a hand-basket on his watch, and he doesn't have any solid, reasonable answers. Pickle is going thru a similar thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by turkeycreaux View Post
    I guess I start looking ahead to next year.
    Honestly, that may not be a bad idea. If you were just idly considering this haunt as just a fun thing and thought about throwing it together at the last minute, I wouldn't comment on it one way or the other. But you and your team are serious about doing this, and I know you'd seriously invest time and energy making it happen for next year, and doing it right.

    Besides, you guys could find another location, only to have the same thing happen. And if you spend the next two months with these same kinds of shenanigans, with no haunt or promotion to show for it, then your higher-ups will start to question the soundness of this idea, and more particularly, your thinking.

    Right now, you haven't spent any significant money on this, you've handled yourself with great aplomb and diplomacy, and shown you can be a real leader. I'm sure your bosses are liking that. They would probably like it even more if you came up with a solution that still makes a promotion happen and side steps all of this pointless and expensive silliness, and here is such a solution.

    In a word: do a Halloween Masquerade Ball. Have a simple walk-thru (your haunt in it's infancy) as an adjunct to the ball, off in a corner of the venue, so you get to test design ideas and whatnot in a rather forgiving environment (tipsy socialites tend to have fun anywhere doing anything), but at the same time you are making use of the opportunity, and testing the soundless of your promotional idea. A pro-haunter I know used to do stuff like this all the time at Country Clubs and whatnot, and believe me, you save yourself a lot of hassle that way.

    Just something to think about for this year, and it sets you up beautifully for next year.

    C.
     

  6. Default  
    #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by BrotherMysterio View Post
    Not surprising if it turns out that the FM is a haunt virgin. He doesn't want to get dinged for anything on his watch that he doesn't quite understand. That tends to make things difficult when he has to explain to his higher-ups why the whole affair went to hell in a hand-basket on his watch, and he doesn't have any solid, reasonable answers. Pickle is going thru a similar thing.
    Yeah, he is. In fact, he had to call a another fire station to find out where to find the specific information for Haunts.


    Honestly, that may not be a bad idea. If you were just idly considering this haunt as just a fun thing and thought about throwing it together at the last minute, I wouldn't comment on it one way or the other. But you and your team are serious about doing this, and I know you'd seriously invest time and energy making it happen for next year, and doing it right.

    Besides, you guys could find another location, only to have the same thing happen. And if you spend the next two months with these same kinds of shenanigans, with no haunt or promotion to show for it, then your higher-ups will start to question the soundness of this idea, and more particularly, your thinking.

    Right now, you haven't spent any significant money on this, you've handled yourself with great aplomb and diplomacy, and shown you can be a real leader. I'm sure your bosses are liking that. They would probably like it even more if you came up with a solution that still makes a promotion happen and side steps all of this pointless and expensive silliness, and here is such a solution.

    In a word: do a Halloween Masquerade Ball. Have a simple walk-thru (your haunt in it's infancy) as an adjunct to the ball, off in a corner of the venue, so you get to test design ideas and whatnot in a rather forgiving environment (tipsy socialites tend to have fun anywhere doing anything), but at the same time you are making use of the opportunity, and testing the soundless of your promotional idea. A pro-haunter I know used to do stuff like this all the time at Country Clubs and whatnot, and believe me, you save yourself a lot of hassle that way.

    Just something to think about for this year, and it sets you up beautifully for next year.

    C.

    Thanks! And I appreciate everyone's help and support over the last couple of week. This is a great community, and I plan on sticking around, getting ideas for next year and offering suggestions when I can.

    Unless something miraculous happens, (my contact at the mall said she would look into the problem and "get back to me") this is indeed the end of the haunt for the year. I let the bosses know what was going on and I suggested holding off until next year. They agreed with my position, so we'll be focusing on making that happen. I like the idea of a masquerade, but I don't know if we'd find an available venue in time. I'll bring it up with the bosses at the staff meeting tomorrow.

    I really lucked out though, because we were waiting on getting the contract for the space, none of the salespeople made any sales on it yet, so we're not letting down any sponsors or charities by cancelling the haunt. I do feel bad for my "Hauntelligencia", as they had come up with some excellent ideas, and were really excited about getting to work. Hopefully I can keep them as enthused until next year.


    TC



    TC
     

  7. Default  
    #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Frightener View Post
    That sux TC.

    Keep your head up. I had to wait a year... sorta. I know it stinks. But think, it could be a blessing in disguise.

    Here's a thought, ask exactly "WHO" can fix the wires? Does it have to be someone they tell you, or can you hire someone yourself to get it done. I mean, if they're just loose wires or wires that need moving, any electrician can usually take care of it properly. Since it's a haunt, I'd ask "What if it's ugly?" Like, well, i'm not an electrician, but I guess I'm just saying, observe all possibilities before you give up. Make sure you can't just hire someone yourself to get rid of the hazard, and who knows, maybe work out a deal with the electrician to advertise his business for a better deal and see if he can wait till season for some of his pay.


    I'm very VERY tired, I'm just talking out my wazooo right now, I guess I'm just trying to say, look at everything and keep your head up.


    Good luck.

    Dewayne
    Thanks, I'm feeling it's better off this way. It was very ambitious for me to get a haunt completed in the amount of time I had. I'll get on the sales people's backs to find me a location sooner for next year, so if this sort of thing happens again, we can find out about it sooner. It also allows me to focus more time on the project my mother-in-law wants me to work on for my father-in-law, which she wants done by the end of September.

    We could use any electrician we liked, the big sticking point is that basically, even if we did it as an ad trade with a local electrician, we're doing the mall a favor by fixing this problem for their next tennents. A favor for a mall that's unwilling to give the radio station any more than a year's contract for our sales office, even though we're willing to sign up for a much longer period. That's what's sticking in the craw of my superiors, and I don't blame them in the least.


    TC
     

  8. Default  
    #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    613
    Longer response forthcoming, but so far you've made a very wise decision. You just saved yourself a lot of hassle and aggravation (not to mention possibly your job).

    Hold a pizza party for your Hauntelligencia (I like that word!) as a way of thanks, possibly continue brainstorming, and capturing there ideas so you can use them for next year.

    Also, important, fight the temptation to jump on any opportunities that look like "something miraculous happening". Fight that temptation hard. Just think how great the mall location looked at the time, and how reasonable the second location looked after that. Once you secure a location, you are only a quarter of the way there, and the FM can still close you down on opening night for any BS reason. If you want something miraculous to happen, it already did! You got away clean from a messy situation and are now in a better place, especially for next year.

    More in a bit.

    C.
     

  9. Default first time... 
    #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Atlantic City (area), NJ
    Posts
    180
    Hey TC,

    Just wanted to say...I feel your pain! I was shot down by the zoning board two seasons ago after I was told by "insiders" it was a "done deal". That was after I poured nearly $18,000. into architects, engineers, attorneys, etc. Than our other deal fell apart at another location because the local volunteer fire dept. haunt "higher ups" had people on the zoning board which rallied the troops to shoot us down because of total bullshit reasons (they absolutely just didn't want the competition, even though I reached out to them to ask them to work together & I'd DONATE $1. from every ticket!) & of course this was AFTER a large investment of time & money. So guess what... we put them on notice of possible litigation against them and shut THEIR ass down. Now that was two years shot! Now to this season...we finally find a great place....but postponed by planning dept. 3 times until we finally we our approval on June 21st! Since than its been off to the races but like you I have come up against one thing after another! Now remember this isn't my first rodeo...been a general contractor for more than 22 yrs. but i have NEVER seen fear like I saw in the eyes of this building dept. when I rolled out my prints! If I could only get scares like that in the haunt! lol I've wanted to pull the plug a few times now in frustration but I have a great team with great organization and things are just rolling now (although we've been building/prepping for over a year in my shop) We are going to attempt to get this up & running this year (even if we open late) because of the huge investment already spent, the advertising already paid for & a team that is practically working around the clock! But I've let them know if its not ready "ITS NOT OPENING! I guess than I'll sit back, chill for a year, grow my own real cobwebs & wait for next year! lol But for now we are full throttle...we have a 30,000' sq. ft fit out in front of us and it starts NOW!

    PS: TC , hang in there...I know its frustrating...but start planning NOW for next year! In the end I think you'll see ALL things happen for a reason!

    PSS: I am going to attempt to post pics & maybe vids of the build but I am on a time crunch & theres not going to be a lot of time to dilly dally! Gonna do what I can though!
    P.
     

  10. Default  
    #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    540
    pickle, I'd love to see some pics / video! I'll keep an eye out for it.


    Dewayne
     

Thread Information
Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •