HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: mold release....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default mold release.... 
    i have cast my first few mask and im noticing on my 2nd pull they are more difficult to pull then my first, is there something that will work as a mold release on the self at walmart. i dont really want to have to buy it online but if i do who has it cheap!! thanks for the help guys!!

2. Default  
    What is the mold made of and what are you casting with?

3. Default sorry should have said that 
    mold is made of Ultra cal 30 and pulling mask latex

4. Default  
    You should not need a release at all for that. Make sure the cast id completely dry and you should be fine.

5. Default cool 
    thanks! i think maybe the 2nd time i had the latex to thin!! Hey Allen should have you new DVD showing up here in the next day or two. really looking forward to it. thanks again!

6. Default  
    Any mold release will inhibit the absorption of the liquid and keep the latex from getting any thicker than a very thin skin. Because any plaster is absorbent, there will always be a little pullback when demolding, especially if there is a lot of texture. It's normal.

7. Default that helps 
    thank you guys

8. Default  
    ALL molds need release agents, except for some silicone applications. Especially if they are not sealed.

Use steric acid. It is normally used as a release agent for GM foam latex. It is available from Alcone. It is cheap and works well for absorption casting.
    www.alconeco.com

Derek B.

9. Default  
    No, they do not. Unless the thousand or so masks I have pulled from my plaster molds have been a fluke.

10. Default  
    If you use a release agent, the molds and the pieces pulled from those molds will be a better quality and last longer, that is why they make it.
    Does your piece have a white dust on the surface when you pull it? That white color is the surface of you mold.

Slush latex it more forgiving. It is great for first timers.

Try your technique in ANY with any other medium and your pieces will not look as good as the sculpture, if you can get them out. Also your molds life will be GREATLY decreased. Who wants to re-sculpt?

I rather pull a thousand pieces from one mold then one piece from a thousands molds.

Thread Information