HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Mask making question...

Hybrid View

1. Default Mask making question... 
    In Allen's latest dvd, Dynamic Haunted Attraction Design (Im 54 min in, AWESOME so far, review forthcoming ) there are some burlap masks resembling the old slipknot masks, or even a more intense version of the guy from strangers.

Im super impressed by those, and am wondering how he achieved such detail, especially the darkness and apparent dinginess of the material. Is there a tutorial of those, or similar masks out there?

Im assuming you get a burlap sack, hack away at it, string it up with a leather shoelace in the back, darken parts of it with spray paint... but am I missing anything, like lining for comfort? Or something to harden it and help keep its shape? Maybe some grease?

I made a strangers mask for halloween, and it kept my nose compressed down the whole night. How does one avoid that?

Dumb move I forgot to check if Allen makes a mask dvd. I'll do that now...

Thanks

2. Default  
    I have a mask from Allen very similar to that and he has latex on the inside of it not sure what else he does with it but comfortable with the latex and don't just have burlap rubbing against your face.

Kyle Guillette
    Kyle Guillette

3. Default  
    Scotty,
    I can save you the time and trouble of replicating my work by simply selling you a mask. They are $100 each and very soon I am listing about 20 for sale (Late august). I give tips on almost everything but the Deranged masks are one of my main income streams and I am already seeing them replicated for sale by other vendors. I have not and most likely will not do a full tutorial on Deranged masks until I have moved on from that stream.
    I do show the same courtesy by not doing tutorials replicating specific vendors products....unless they are flat out raping people. I will tell you that every technique and material I use to make them are shown on my youtube channel tutorials. As well as basic mask making skills.

"Im assuming you get a burlap sack, hack away at it, string it up with a leather shoelace in the back, darken parts of it with spray paint... but am I missing anything, like lining for comfort? Or something to harden it and help keep its shape? Maybe some grease?"

You can start with a burlap bag, just make sure it is not reinforced or was used to carry insulation ever. Laces will pull through burlap (it has a loose weave) unless you reinforce the hole. I use grommets and a grommet press. Keep vision, hearing, ventilation, and breathing in mind when making masks (that is where most mask companies fail). Spray paint actually off gasses for a long time and it may bother some actors skin so I would avoid it. Please dont use grease or any other industrial compounds to stain masks, make sure they are safe to use for the make up or garment industry as skin contact is a great way to absorb poisons and irritants. Who knows what is in some of those. Be safe.
    Allen H
    here is alink to my youtube channel which has a multitude of appropriate tutorials.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

4. Default  
    Allen, thanks for the knowledge as usual. Those masks are awesome! They aren't in line with my infected zombie theme tho so im more interested for personal use. I think they'd be absolutely wicked with contact lenses!

5. Default  
    I'm trying to figure out what personal use is? Family portraits, avoiding exposure to the sun, recreational head warming?

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

6. Default  
    Actually, I'm considering robbing a bank in case I decide to start an INDOOR haunt!

Seriously though my son is 8 and he still likes it when I dress up for halloween. Plus occasionally I like to scare my friends and family, mainly my fiancÚ

Searching google images, I found almost exactly what I had pictured I wanted after seeing Allen's work! I wasn't trying to rip you off Allen, I was just inquiring about the basic how to.

Scarecrow-Halloween-Mask.jpg

Its crazy he even has the lenses. Pretty cool.

Thread Information