HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Huge problem at Michigan Haunts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Default Huge problem at Michigan Haunts 
    I may be the only one from Michigan who will admit this, but I am open to any suggestions. My haunt which by this time in the season is usually very busy is instead very slow.

We did more advertising than we have in a few years. We have always had a great reputation. The word of mouth is great about this years show. All posted reviews and polls have us as one of the best attractions. The weather has been ok not great but we have seen much worse in the past. We are in a ten year established location. Our price is lower than almost every other haunt in the area. I have some of the best actors in the industry and with all that being said we are struggling to pay the bills.

The beginning of the season started out pretty good, up 23% from last year. But the last 2 weekends have been pathetic. I, for the first time in our history had to let some of our cast and crew go this week. Pretty much anybody that we didn't absolutely need. I usually have to hire more people by now.

I have heard about and from several other local attractions that they are in the same boat. Some of them have actually had to close early on some nights (Friday's & Saturday's) by 10:00 because they have no customers.

My projection for the season is to be down about 30% from last year which was not a stellar season either by any means.

So I guess I am wondering is this just a Michigan thing or this is happening in other parts of the country as well? Does anyone have any ideas why, other than the obvious poor economy?

I have never been this frustrated and unsure of the future. I know we still have our best days ahead of us but it's hard to imagine we can make up the difference and still pull off a decent year.

Puzzled and depressed,
    1986-1997 (Mutilation Mansion,) 1998 (Screamers Haunted House,) 1999 (Evil Intention Haunted House,) 2000-2001 Concept Creator/Business Partner (Urban Legends Haunted House,) 2002 Floor Plan Designer and Consultant for a (Haunted Barn) Owners had city challenges & were never able to open, 2002 Floor Plan Designer/Construction (Fright Nights Haunted House) 2003-2012 Now retired Owner (Deadly Intentions Haunted Attraction)

2. Default  
    Man I'm sorry about your struggles. Do you think it might be due to the Tigers in the playoffs?

Jake

3. Default  
    Not really. So far the games have been pretty much over by the time we open! Thanks though!
    1986-1997 (Mutilation Mansion,) 1998 (Screamers Haunted House,) 1999 (Evil Intention Haunted House,) 2000-2001 Concept Creator/Business Partner (Urban Legends Haunted House,) 2002 Floor Plan Designer and Consultant for a (Haunted Barn) Owners had city challenges & were never able to open, 2002 Floor Plan Designer/Construction (Fright Nights Haunted House) 2003-2012 Now retired Owner (Deadly Intentions Haunted Attraction)

4. Default  
    Sorry to hear it, sent you a pm Howie.

5. Default  
    Howie, look at the nights games were. The Rangers killed us the past two years. Even if the games are over they still drank during the game or want to talk about it. I bet it is the games. The Cardinals kicked Larry's but last year too.

6. Default No teams to worry about here! 
    Man am I glad we dont have any teams around here ...... except the Panthers maybe ..... wait, are they a team?
    Travis "Big T" Russell
    President
    Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

7. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen H View Post
    Howie, look at the nights games were. The Rangers killed us the past two years. Even if the games are over they still drank during the game or want to talk about it. I bet it is the games. The Cardinals kicked Larry's but last year too.
    this.

Time doesn't much matter, money was spent, beers were swilled, if they stopped anywhere on the way home it was a sportsbar.

Follow up because I would wager that the remaining Friday and Saturdays without games will outpace last years same date comparison. People who have it on their "agenda" to come see you will still do it. At least I hope this is the case, hope you make up for the sputter.

8. Default  
    I know I'm going a bit off topic... I thought I was up on my MI haunts, but I can't figure out who the "haunt with the gimmick" is? Anyone want to PM me?

9. Default SC 
    Gaffney, South Carolin, during the summer - Marathon Key, Florida during the wintera
    Haunts around me in South Carolina are down 50%. But on the other hand dozens of new haunted trails have appeared. Our past exit surveys say if you go to a good haunt you will go to three over halloween. If you start out at a lousy haunt - you just stay home.
    George Maser 864-761-7223, www.tentsandsigns.com. george@tentsandsigns.com. For the fastest response please call! (I talk much better than I type)

10. Wink Lets just say! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Tiki Studios View Post
    I know I'm going a bit off topic... I thought I was up on my MI haunts, but I can't figure out who the "haunt with the gimmick" is? Anyone want to PM me?

Lets just say there is only haunt in Pontiac MI that says you can win double your money back if you defeat the wizard (HA HA HA HA HA HA HA) oh did I say that?

Good luck finding the wizard

Thread Information