HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Screams vs. Laughter

Hybrid View

1. Default Screams vs. Laughter 
    While I consider myself pretty good at scaring people at my haunt, I realize that there's always going to be some people who just refuse to get scared. These people, I've decided, I'm going to try to make laugh. In fact, I've developed my act that I try to incorporate both scares and comedy into all of my customers. I'll scare them, and then tease them, taunt them, insult them, maybe actually have a short conversation with them in order to make them laugh. My character I'm pretending to be is fairly good at this, being a lonely, insane hillbilly that's only too eager to chat with everybody who comes his way. I've found that the customers generally tend to enjoy this, especially when I manage to strike one of their friend's nerves (mentioning how a guy is hiding behind his girlfriend, for instance).

What's your opinion? Is comedy a good tactic to use in a haunted house, or should actors stick strictly to scaring their guests?

2. Default  
    It is the main tactic for outside entertainment. sounds like you are doing fine. A non speaking non humorous character has a very short usefulness outside, lines can be very long and you will see the same people for long periods of time, improv and comedy will help your longevity with the crowds.

3. Lightbulb  
    Actually, I'm inside the haunt. I'm outside in the sense that I'm working the outside PORTION of the haunt, but I'm not out in the crowd like I thought I was going to be.

4. Default  
    ok, where in the haunt are you? Beginning middle or end?

5. Default  
    Um... I'm fairly close to the end. It may take them another two minutes to get out after going past me.

6. Default  
    In that case I would lay off of the comedy or try to get moved toward the middle. Momentum and building are the way haunts work. Levity close to the end hits an emotional reset switch and will lessen the scariness of the rest of the show. It is good to want to give them something, but what happens in each room affects the rest of the show. Im not saying dont do it, but be cautious.

Thread Information