I won’t speculate why some haunts are up and many are down, but there are some issues that have made this season more challenging:
- The political scene in some states (Ohio is a battleground state) has made it very difficult or expensive to purchase electronic media. It’s unfair that politicians can lock up so much air time causing prices to soar and limiting the availability of commercials to the private business sector.
- The economy is still very challenging. Unemployment is still high and many people who have jobs are underemployed.
- The cost of living is up; food and gasoline are at all time highs; limiting the amount of disposable income available to spend on entertainment. The entertainment industry (movies) has had a tough time this fall too.
- The weather has sucked. In our state (Ohio); it has rained 21 of 30 days this month.
- Hurricane Sandy has impacted 13 states leading up to the past weekend, which normally the weekend before Halloween was our best weekend for attendance. Please keep our friends who are suffering in these areas in your thoughts and prayers.
- There were only four weekends in October this year.
All that being said, I thought we were doing pretty good as we were up about 20% going into this past weekend. The cold/wind/rain started last Friday and hasn’t stopped since and so we were down about 40% this past weekend. We’re open this coming weekend and hopefully we can recover some lost sales.
I hope this provides some thought starters for discuss in the group.