HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Clown Tarp / Tent

Hybrid View

1. Default Clown Tarp / Tent 
    Does any one know where I can find a red and white striped tarp material to use for a clown room? We currently have our walls painted with these colors but I would like to use something that would last a little while longer than a season. Thanks!

2. Default  
    Try looking up some tent manufacturers or places that sell large tents. They usually have scrap canvas you can buy and make use of. You may need to request the right colors or ask if they have it. Or if it's just white canvas you can paint it. We use a really thin canvas and it's painted with sloppy red stripes ( the klowns use the blood of their victims to paint their tent ) . Canvas can be quite heavy though, you may need to add grommets to hang it and be sure your mounts can support it.

I'm a little curious, how are your wood walls wearing out after only one season ?

3. Default  
    The wood panels themselves are fine. The paint job isn't. We tend to have actors wanting to bang and scratch on them. We could always repaint if need be but I'd like to move toward the tarp like material in the near future.

4. Default  
    Rather than tent suppliers, in Texas there a many awning suppliers. The decorative canvas awnings you see on commercial buildings and there are also those that take the same materials and make boat covers and furniture covers.

Another avenue to try are the people that make the large billboards that are stretched vinyl and printed on large machines. Or the sign companies retire the old vinyl signs and you could paint them yourself to suit.

All of these options are kind of expensive. I can't remember the square footage price and of course there are several different wieghts of fabric to chose from. Still I think going to a more industrial style paint would be cheaper and be les of a hassle than storing heavy tarps, rolling them just right and keeping them from molding in storage.

Since you already have a painted surface, your final coat of paint would be $50 a gallon for great enamels or traffic paint that comes in pretty much clown colors already. It would cover about 225 SF per gallon and cost 23 cents per square foot. The tarps and awnings are going or more like $4.50 to $6 per yard or 50 cents per square foot and they charge labor for tailoring on top of that, probably going after 85cents to $1.20 per square foot. Basically $39.00 per wall covered versus the good paint at $8 per wall covered, with you doing your own labor.

The over all feel of the canvas would be great in overall look. Still you are looking at $2400 per 1000 SF of haunt times 2 in the locations where you have to do both sides of the walls. End possible investment $5,000 versus $1000 per 1000 SF of haunt for paint.

Maybe just a few key scenes could be the canvas to get the look. It can be used as curtains to walk through or jump out from but not the whole haunt?

Still for research there are places in Jacksonville, Tx and Athens, Tx as there was once a big fiberglass boat building business in the area. Most larger sign shops will know who does awnings in your area because they usually get a logo and the tube steel structure gets custom fabricated and has to be set on the building with a small crane.

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

5. Default  
    If you have the money, you might also look into metal roofing or fiberglass siding. It can come in a variety of colors. Honestly this is my goal, had I the funds to actually do it.

6. Default  
    Get in touch with George Maser. He may have what you're looking for.

864-761-7223
    www.tentsandsigns.com
    george@tentsandsigns.com

Thread Information