HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: How do I get the word out on a budget?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default  
    Have an awesome promo video and push face book. Every like you get will put that promo video on hundreds of ppl's news feeds.

Bobby Arel's "parade advertising" how much hype would you generate by walking two zombies around with chains through a mall? Or a local young bar scene?

The groupon would be awesome for new haunts, set on specific nights, early in the season. Think of the low ticket revenue as advertising costs. My mother told me about a haunt in the area she saw on groupon, so you never know who they will tell.

Target your marketing. If you're after kids and families, don't use bloody savage zombies for your parade, use a cute cuddly mascot creature, and hang out around the kiddie play area of the mall (just be sure somebody is with you so you don't end up looking like a perv lol)

People remember things they see in person, so make a huge impression and you'll be remembered.

2. Default  
    I meant to say ppl remember STRANGE things they see in person. When I was in my early 20's, I saw a guy at the mall walking around with a dildo strapped on his forehead. I asked him what the hell that was about... apparently it was some confidence building thing to talk to hot chicks while wearing that, so he could be more confident while not wearing that, and pick up hot chicks lol. That was at least five years ago... but I will NEVER forget that!

While at universal Hollywood horror nights, I could barely tell you all the scares in the houses, not even 50%. But I can tell you tons of details about the scare zones. I believe that is because you are in more of a normal frame of mind when walking to the next house. Some times I got the crap scared out of me in those zones... THOSE are the moments I remember. Hit ppl when they are in "normal" mode, thinking about regular things... that is the way to create lasting impressions.

In my massage practice I give bizcard magnets, not because I want them to have my number (which is what I tell them) but toestablish a presence in their everyday lives. I can't count the times ppl have called because they were reaching for ice and saw my card!

I plan on going as far as scaring ppl on the street (well my actors at least) then saying when's the last time yi7 were really scared at a haunted house, as I give them the card/flyer. These days everybody is so numb and self absorbed, it seems like you have to ingrain yourself into that selfishness, or snap them out of it for a second. Preferably both.

3. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottylmt View Post
    In my massage practice I give bizcard magnets, not because I want them to have my number (which is what I tell them) but toestablish a presence in their everyday lives. I can't count the times ppl have called because they were reaching for ice and saw my card!

I plan on going as far as scaring ppl on the street (well my actors at least) then saying when's the last time yi7 were really scared at a haunted house, as I give them the card/flyer. These days everybody is so numb and self absorbed, it seems like you have to ingrain yourself into that selfishness, or snap them out of it for a second. Preferably both.
    * . . . tears of pride welling up . . . I'm feeling a little verklempt . . . *

4. Default It requires cultivation! 
    Facebook and Twitter were key for us this year, but the banner in the front did most of the work. I also sent the wife to a Harvest Festival in the neighboring town on one of the nights to pass out flyers. That had great results as well. I might do a few radio spots only because we are in a really rural town and radio is all they have out here (and its cheap - $10 for 60s spot). I posted something fresh on FB and Twitter every day (sometimes twice a day) to draw new followers. There are great apps out there to assist with that. A friend of mine that does consulting showed me one I am adding this year called TweetAdder that actually helps you find others tweeting about Halloween, and helps you narrow your focus to specific areas.

Be religious about your posting and make it interesting. Not just stuff about your hours, etc. Tell stories, carry news about the holidays, post facts about Zombies, Viruses, etc. Soon you will build a following. And it will continue to grow year after year. Yeah, I did say year after year. It has to be cultivated so if you thought you were going to make a big profit year one, sorry. Even though we had a 600% increase in revenues this year, I am still far from a profit, and still in my growing stages (growing meaning both in attendance as well as building the haunt to be bigger and better every year).

Isn't running a business fun!
    Travis "Big T" Russell
    President
    Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

5. Default local search 
    I seen a lot of people mention Google. The whole local search is huge now. We are out in California and we have our door person ask where people found out about the haunt at and the majority of them came from generic Google searches for haunted house. We did some work to get the haunt so it showed up on page 1 of Google for local search terms and we saw about 70% of our visitors coming from that work and once you get it all up there it is fairly affordable depending on who you go with. Look to make sure you have your Google Places listing properly optimized along with Yahoo, Bing and Yelp. We saw great results from those listings and those are one time setups if you pay someone. If you have any questions feel free to hit me up, I did it all for the haunt this year and do this stuff for work so will be more than happy to help anyone with any questions.

6. Default Just a few methods we've used 
    Right now Brooklyn, Haunting in Canastota, New York
    We've been doing a haunted house in connection with the local fire department for six years, after a brief hiatus we are finally back this year (gotta love political reasons). Anyhow, some of the techniques that worked for us in the past in getting the word out were through press releases, word of mouth and parades. I've been in the media industry for more than 12 years, so crafting the press releases were pretty easy. It's always a plus to know what the local papers or stations look for in the releases, yet not giving everything away. In our early years we had a lot of help from those still in high school. Not always the best crowd to work with, but putting them in charge of flyers, around the area and throughout the schools was huge. They used to take stacks to of flyers to school and just hand them out.
    Our haunt has always been geared to the 16 and up crowd, but we were always able to do walk throughs for those younger. One of our biggest though were the local parades. We are located in a small town in Central New York, and every year there are a variety of parades from Old Home Days to Field Days events. We also have the privilege of being in the same town as the Boxing Hall of Fame (Canastota), which has a huge parade every year. In the past we built a mini haunted house on the float, it was basically a pitch black hallway where the actors could reach out at those walking through. As the float would move we'd jump out of fog off the back of it and scare the crowd. When we were stopped for the progression to move, we'd pull people in to walk through it quickly. It made a lasting impression.
    This year we're taking advantage of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and even shooting short teaser trailers leading up to it. We'll still reach out to the papers, tv and radio stations but will rely mostly on word of mouth and social media.

Ken - The Butcher

Thread Information