HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Gift Shop I need a bit of help in deciding what to sell.

Hybrid View

1. Default Gift Shop I need a bit of help in deciding what to sell. 
    I am in the process of building my gift shop. I will take any and all suggestions on items to stock. I am going to the Party Halloween Expo here in a few weeks. I would like to go with a bit more knowledge as to what to buy. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Sue:lol:

2. Default Alot of great ideas 
    Sue I would like to discuss this with you and help you with some great ideas. I sent you a p.m.
    Thanks
    Damon
    Damon Carson

3. Default Talking about 
    We have been talking about doing a new line of items that would be strictly sold for Haunted House giftshops. Why I sent you a p.m. Send me an email or contact me so we can talk more about it!
    Thanks
    Damon
    www.frightmasters.weebly.com
    Damon Carson

4. Default  
    Logo items sold very well for us this year
    Like a midget at a urinal, you gotta be on your toes

http://www.wellstownshiphauntedhouse.com

5. Smile Custom Hat 
    Someone on this forum might like to make these custom hats for selling in your haunt store. The hats have holes in it with hair strands popping out. The hair stands up as if the wearer was scared stiff. Your haunt logo can be on the front.

Also, if you can, make custom hats like these:

The cap (baseball caps) resembles the back of a cracked and aged skull.
    Or, the cap can have tentacles hanging out that look like they burst out of the wearers head.
    Or, the cap can have hair going around the edge and an exposed brain as the cap.

Just posting ideas for you. I hope they help.2013-01-06 13.06.14.jpg
    RIP

~The Imagineer~

Andrew de Ruiter

Download part 1 of Andrew's Black Book of ideas for haunts here:
    http://www.epubbud.com/book.php?g=EGQDK8HZ

6. Default  
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I'm excited !!!

Sue

7. Default Costume store results 
    We were in a 55,000 sq ft building for two years. We used about 30,000 for our haunt which dumped everyone into a 10,000 sq ft costume store. So customers were forced to walk through the costume store on their way out of the haunt. The costume store opened at noon daily during October and stayed open until the haunt closed on weekends.

We observed the majority of our customers didnít even look at the thousands of merchandise items we had on display. Some teens would try on wigs and hats, pose for pictures, then drop the items on the floor on their way out. We did sell some merchandise, but we had to have 3 Ė 5 employees working the floor with such large crowds of people exiting the haunt at the same time. We actually sold more merchandise to people who stopped in during day hours to purchase costumes. We handed out bounce-back coupons as people were exiting the costume store and some people would stop back during the day to purchase items.

Weíve since moved to a smaller space and tried just selling some of our most popular items, but even still we didnít make enough to cover the labor needed to staff the small store. This past season we just sold a few left over costumes, hats and makeup. Our biggest sellers were our haunt t-shirts, glow necklaces and soft drinks.

Weíre located within a mile of two costume stores; so it just wasnít worth the effort for us to have a costume store. It was very surprising to us to watch people walk out of the haunt and walk directly past Halloween costumes, props and accessories without even looking at them. It seemed our customers were either running out of the exit of the haunt and out the door, laughing as they exited the haunt and talking with their friends or in a daze as they exited the building. We estimated only about 5% of our haunt customers even noticed we had merchandise for sale. Canít explain it. Our prices were lower than what the local costume stores were selling items.

Best of luck with your decision, but I would suggest starting small and adding to it if it works in your location. It might be helpful if you donít already have costume stores in your area. Also Wal-Mart and Party City both have very large Halloween costume displays too.

Kelly

8. Default  
    Anything that is really CHEAP! That sells best!

Larry

9. Default Haunted Keepsakes 
    I do custom stuff in small or large lots for the Haunt community. www.hauntedkeepsakes.com

Let me know if you have any questions.

Scaren Karen

Thread Information