HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Haunted House Sales Tax? Are you charged a sales tax on admission ticket sales?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default Sales tax on entertainment 
    So sorry to hear some of you are dealing with this already. Sounds like some of the tax rates are extreme. Curious, do you include the sales tax in your price to do you charge it in addition. For example if you currently charge $20 for admission and sales tax is 5.5%, do you charge $21.10 or do you lower your price and charge $18.95 x 5.5% = $20?? I would think you would want to avoid having to give change in coins, but thatís a huge amount to absorb.

Ohio is considering implementing a new sales tax of 5% on entertainment (sporting events, movies, theatre, etc.) they havenít mentioned haunted attractions yet, but it will probably be added when someone figures out that it hasnít been included.

Iím asking the questions to help us prepare for when it happens. Trying to figure out how to budget/plan for it.

Thanks for all the comments.

2. Default  
    Just charge $22 and tell guests that included Ohio state entertainment tax.

3. Default Tax man? We pay no stinking taxes mon 
    State of VA - no sales tax on tickets thank goodness. I think NC does but not sure.
    Travis "Big T" Russell
    President
    Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

4. Default  
    There was talk of a service tax here (Michigan) a few years ago but it didn't go through. That would have affected all entertainment venues I believe. The thing is you never know if they might decide to bring that up again. You would think we all pay enough taxes already.
    Jared Layman

5. Default  
    Kelly, I have been following this pretty close, and I do not believe that it has legs. The people that are raising the most hell about it, are the County Fairs. Fairs are already in a bad shape, due to a combination of the economy, and using the same business model for the last 30 years. I just don't see it happening. Let's hope.

6. Default It's just a matter of time 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goff View Post
    Kelly, I have been following this pretty close, and I do not believe that it has legs. The people that are raising the most hell about it, are the County Fairs. Fairs are already in a bad shape, due to a combination of the economy, and using the same business model for the last 30 years. I just don't see it happening. Let's hope.
    It's coming I hate to tell you it's not if but when the tax man will come for you too it's like that pretty much anywhere where there is a modest population so if you haven't had to pay yet consider yourself lucky and get ready for it.

Jake

7. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathwing View Post
    It's coming I hate to tell you it's not if but when the tax man will come for you too it's like that pretty much anywhere where there is a modest population so if you haven't had to pay yet consider yourself lucky and get ready for it.

Jake
    I agree Jake, it is just a matter of time. All of our taxes are going to go way up, from many different angles. I think that this time around the State sales tax won't get anywhere.

8. Default Im shocked 
    That some states has still has no tax. I agree it's coming no way out of it! Shane and it's all good things must come to an end!

9. Default Blame it on the tax man! 
    Here in NC we are not required to pay amusement tax for tickets to our corn maze or our Zipline tour, however we are required to pay the state a 3% amusement tax on the haunted attraction tickets. We have absorbed this tax for 27 years, but starting this year we are passing this to the customer. I made this decision while standing in line at a Disney ticket booth last month when I read at the bottom of the ticket board was a notice that prices did not include tax.

The customer is used to paying tax, by passing it on we just gave our bottom line a 3% boost. I have discussed this with other haunts in our market and they are going to do the same.
    Tony Wohlgemuth,
    Comes up with the fun stuff!
    Kersey Valley, Inc.
    www.KerseyValley.com

10. Default Expanded Sales tax all but dead in Ohio 
    It's looking like the sales tax won't be happening anytime soon.

http://www.limaohio.com/opinion/edit...9bb30f31a.html

Thread Information