HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: TransWorld Shoot Me Straight

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
  1. Default costumes from booth 
    Hello tried to buy several costumes from your booth . But staff said could not sell till close of show sunday
    We were leaving early sunday morning .especially want the orange jumpsuit
    60.00 bucks is what show price was i belive .please let us know how we can get these
    As dont see them listed on the web page thanks and had a great time in st louis will be back again next year .

2. Default  
    Great I loved the time line photos of the darkness, then you go on the tour and see it in perspective. I don't know about any body else but I like to see the process of construction and then the finished product.

Phatman

3. Default  
    An onsite build off would be cool but would you just end up having a long line sitting there all day staring at the build off? That sounds congested. Maybe it could be done in the off hours, or the day before. I honestly wouldn't give up on the interactive haunted house yet, but I would tweak it. It was pretty bad this year, but I liked it the last couple years. I don't understand if you are saying its a waste of time for vendors or the buyers walking through it?

Instead of making the interactive haunted house a build off, you might just make another stage or something and do set build demos kind of like the make up demos. You could even do just like 1 or 2 sets and have several people work on it at different scheduled times. Then give that schedule to people so they could see the people they want to see working on the sets.
    Jared Layman

4. Default  
    First off I want to thank everyone who has posted comments (both positive and negative) about the Interactive Haunt, I appreciate constructive criticism as it helps me grow as an artist, an individual, and business person.

I wanted to take a moment to explain how the IHH works.

A few years ago TransWorld approached me with the idea of building the “Interactive Haunted House” on the show floor. Knowing full well what our time constraints were and the challenge of coordinating all of the participating vendor products into the themes we chose, I met with our team and they were all up for the challenge. The first year proved to be the most difficult as it was our first attempt at it, building wall panels at a local vendors shop in St. Louis (thank you by the way), dealing with local building and fire inspectors, explaining the first time idea to vendors, and detailing, decorating, running sound and lighting all on the show floor while trying to meet the tight deadlines we had.

We also found out how quickly scenes can change (and suffer) when vendors show up without the promised items for the scenes.

TransWorld owns the IHH, we are given a small budget to build it for them. The idea is to auction it off each year in hopes of making the budget back to be used for the next year. We quickly found out the first year that by building a “micro-haunt” we would be effectively unable to make the money back so year two we decided to approach it with separated scenes like we did this year (our 3rd year)

We now build the wall panels for the scenes at our shop in Massachusetts however, ALL of the scenes are painted and detailed right on the show floor in St. Louis each year as well as all the wiring for sound, lighting and air.

We usually design the scenes to be square to aid in the ease of set up because of our tight time restrictions (Approx. 36 hours to set up)
    We had 65 participating vendors this past year (imagine the amount of phone calls it takes to coordinate all of this) the goal of the IHH is to give examples of how the vendor products can be used in different themed environments. I know for a fact the IHH has led to major increases in sales for several vendors and that’s the #1 reason TW offers it each year, to give their vendors more visibility and another avenue to help increase sales.

My team and I do not get paid to design and build the IHH, we do it because of the passion for this industry and wanting to give back to the vendors who work so hard to help all of us. For me, it gives me a chance to teach my team how to stay focused, organized and meet deadlines so it’s a win win there.

We will continue to build the IHH as long as TW continues to ask us to do so and I will continue to learn from the input everyone gives here and via email.

I have posted a few pictures at the following link:
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7154929&type=1

Thanks again and I wish you all a safe and successful season!

Mike “Tattoo” Krausert

P.S. I love the idea of a scene build off as well!
    Mike "Tattoo" Krausert

Director of Operations

Nightmare New England
    www.nightmarenewengland.com

Spookyworld
    www.spookyworld.com

President - Bad Boys Scenic Design

5. Default  
    I would also like to say that seeing some of the props displayed that way helps you actually find them on the show floor a little easier. I don't know why but walking the show floor the last 2 years, I have missed several cool things in vendor booths. Seeing them in the interactive haunted house with a name attached actually helps. I think getting rid of the interactive haunted house is a bad idea.

Also, once again, what was the Price is Fright everyone is talking about? I didn't see it at the or advertised, what exactly was it?
    Last edited by mindtumor; 03-15-2013 at 02:03 PM.
    Jared Layman

6. Default  
    Thanks Mike that helps understand what you have to deal with. It did not seem that you had as much participation frome the vendors this year. There were what seemed to be lower cost props than normal. I did not know you were not paid to do IHH, and that is surprising when you see how much time your crew puts in to building it.

Phatman

7. Default Ihh 
    Thought you guys did a Fantastic job on the IHH and it was truly well detailed
    And one of the highlights of the show for us Thanks for being there and cant wait too see the IHH
    Nezt year for sure again .
    PS can you tell us what vendor had the barrel prop in first room that maid that killer sound coming from it .thanks
    And keep up the great incredible work for 2014

8. Default  
    A lot of these events are extensions of the Tradeshow because they give us another look at products. The IHH to me is so much work - to me it has a vibe like the Darkzone - another way to show certain products in a natural setting, and some extra free show space for the vendors to display a few more items than they have room for. I am sure the vendors and Transworld are very happy you do it, major kudos to Tattoo and his crew.. Thank you for working so hard! I was a part of the Price is Fright, but it was John LaFlamboy and the Zombie Armys baby. They really rocked it.. lots of work went into building the games, the staging, and once again vendor coordination. The funny thing was I was up on stage and saw one of the props and went... "oh yeah I was going to get that" so the first thing Sunday I went to Creative Visions and picked it up. It worked on me!

FYI: The Price is Fright was a Gameshow like the Price is Right where haunters guessed prices and played games like the show.

Shanes party and The Darkness tours were also showcases for products and fun things for folks to do. There are maybe 6000 people or so who come to this show, it seems like there are a lot of events but in reality there may not be enough!

Anyway thanks to everyone who works so hard on these events and tours to provide education and fun for us.... A lot of work for little to no return in most cases. Many attendees will never go to these events and that is fine - as long as they go to the most important one of all and support our vendors.... the one that runs all day for 3 1/2 days... The Show Floor!

Thanks!
    Ben Armstrong
    NETHERWORLD HAUNTED HOUSE
    www.Fearworld.com
    www.NetherworldNetwork.com

9. Default  
    I actually seal more deals after hours than at the show. Dinners, parties and city museum are the very best place to network even if it is a buyers show. The big deals are made by networking and not on the show floor.
    Lordgrimley.com for the very best items on the net.

10. Default  
    I don't think the point is to rip on these events but highlight the fact that from a vendors point of view that the show focus should be on putting buyers and sellers together not distract them with MHC style events every time you sneeze. I don't think the single issue is one party, or one event or one this or that its like the show seems to be moving way to much to an MHC style event and less on the main point. I think MHC does a great job incredible job and making the show to attend for parties, tours, events, and whatever else... lets not duplicate that show. Lets not create a perception that we want to be everything to everyone thereby losing your identity as the place to bring your check books and get some new equipment. The focus at least in my opinion is EDUCATION opportunities to make haunts smarter business people so they can make more money there by spending more money with vendors. We lose that opportunity when we focus way to much on entertaining people.

Now you also have Halloween Extreme or whatever that is ... hey make that the fun stop not the main show. No one is saying don't have fun but creating so many distractions and spreading yourself so thin everything gets weaker in the process like education. I didn't see to many people attending seminars this year maybe because they attended some other thing who knows. But we have an opportunity to really make an impact on these business we need to take it... that helps the industry as a whole and especially vendors.

I could creating after hour focus groups where vendors come and buyers tell them their problems with products, shipping, due dates, or how to build things different or give them idea's... you are going to tell me that would help the industry more than the Price is Fright? See in my book OPPORTUNITY LOST!

I could give vendors 10 truck loads of issues like making their products to wide, or welding on brackets on the inside of the frame rather than the outside, or whatever... see just opportunity lost to make the entire industry smarter!

On another subject... Interactive Haunt.

I think I made mention that I think and believe a lot of people work hard to put it together, there are many constraints especially with time needed... I think overall we've learned it can't be done on the level we'd like to see. Vendors are now bringing very very very detailed booths, and the interactive haunt falls way below that, additionally the show is very small and buyer walk the show multiple times there just isn't a need to showcase their products outside their booths.

I think we need something different something that really showcases vendors products... like a giant DEMO stage with TV screens right in the middle of the floor maybe. Let Vendors sign up for these demos and put on something that is truly interactive and educational at the same time. If we are to devote so many resources to something lets make it really work for the vendor and the buyers.

That is my two cents.

Larry

Thread Information