HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: TransWorld Shoot Me Straight

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. Default Transworld 
    Vendors.. Meet some great new ones and chumbed up with some old ones.. Bought hardly nothing.. Half of last years order dollars wise .. Im with Larry that Unit 70 will get some $$$$ from us...
    I think the show is really very slow and lame.. No offense to anyone but it is a very boring show. I walked the floor a couple of times per day and except for a few vendors I saw very few folks buying the goods.. lots of folks buying up the floor samples on Sunday.. That is real neat to be able to do if you can haul it..
    I do have some advice for all those that sale cash and carry at the show including Jen at Transworld..
    The IRS will be knocking on your door/booth one of these days.. St. Louis will figure it out and go back X number of years and burn each and and every vendor doing such.. Mark my word it will happen I've seen it first hand. You talk about headaches.. I dont think Transworld or the vendors are prepared for that kind of real TERROR....

2. Default  
    We admittedly came in with a lower buy budget this year so it was a little less exciting for us. However, we unexpectedly loved VFX Creative Studios Attack Zombies. Loved those things, finally decided to drop some unplanned quid on one only to discover they were sold out of the year. Congrats to them though, apparently THEY were even surprised! Sometimes the most simple innovative props are the most exciting and coveted.

I would like to mention something though that kind of honks us (and I hope it isn't 'off topic') Seminars. A hefty portion of the reason we come to TW is to hear from the heavyweights in the biz and glean some real insider knowledge and techniques. Not to be that negative guy but for the last two years, we are about 50/50 on the seminars being either GREAT, or a complete waste of time and money. Again, we're not negative people, but after a couple of the seminars we were privately wondering if we could get out money back. But we're nice fellows so we kept our traps shut. I just wonder if a better job couldn't be done vetting the speakers to ensure that they have a solid outline and are also effective communicators. Even the most talented of folks can turn a seminar into a real snoozefest (not to mention money-drainer) if they aren't able to effectively communicate their expertise.

I'm just sayin. The ones that were great, were fantastic and we couldn't write fast enough to keep up. But a couple... yikes...
    Michael Inks
    Geist Entertainment, Inc.
    Visit GEI on Facebook

"If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney

3. Default So some vendors don't panic... 
    Don't want vendors to read too much into the "no wow" this year as "their stuff sucked and don't want it". My business model involves buying $1000- $3000 props that are what I call of two different classes of props. The "hidden prop" that deploys fast, or does the "unexpected". Hidden props I purchased were from Adam of Poison. Dropping clown flailer...$1100 - no one sees it coming...then it is there in their face attacking from above. The torso drop reacher same thing ..will come from hidden place from above. Not "WOW!!" but effective. Told him his stuff fits my needs and he told me it is harder and harder to make animations in that range with several movements. I then trade these off in trading circles to keep my place fresh. Same prop or set up year after year and the customers get bored. I keep adding new inventory AND trading. I keep getting bigger and never the same show twice. I talk a LOT with customers exiting the haunted trail. They tell me which haunts in the area have the exact same layout as the last 3 years. That is why they now go to my place...I'm always changing. Distortions props where actor hides in plain sight almost and does a great unexpected move is part of my arsenal with currently 2 of their "shock" line rotating among fellow frind haunters places.

So...I get a feeling the general consensus is "30% down from 2011". Im guessing it is just that people went to two haunts last year instead of 3. I WILL NOT reign in my show upgrades this year based on last years numbers across the industry. NO WAY IN HELL!!! I'm doublin down and going for broke before I go conservative this fall. My guess is people will be doing MORE looking seeing who is offering the same old show as last year. And if you go with the same as 2012....your 2014 attendance will be a disaster. No my approach is not the blueprint for everyone. Also understand I routinely drop a few hundred thousand dollars to put a crop in the ground and wait for it to rain the right amount. My tolerance for risk has been hammered into my soul for decades...I can live with that, some can't.

So Larry; your prediction that buyers will be out in June & July sounds correct to me; IF people want to have anybody to show up at their door in 2014.

4. Default  
    I glad someone else brought up the Scarefactory DEATH HALL. Most dangerous thing i've seen in awhile being sold out there. It blinded me then hit me in the elbow with a wood door and at the end in the knee with a wood cabinet. REALLY !!!! Stupid design

Robert

5. Default I'll 3rd the hallway 
    usually you will see me chiming in defending Scarefactory whne the 'gang piling" gets rediculous. I'll state that I am outdoors and have had no problems with breakage. Even told dave that this year at the show. But yeah...that hallway....absolutely ASSININE!

I stand corrected. I forgot about the hallway. I did go "WOW!" this year...but in a bad way. Walked through it after I made this years purchase from them.

But since the hallway safety came up I'll add that one spray/mister at Darkness hit the girl in front of me directly in the eye. She was very uncomfortable for long time.

Wicked Farmer
    Last edited by wickedfarmer; 03-12-2013 at 10:32 AM.

6. Default Michael 
    I know I wanted to chill and relax from speaking. I have been speaking for a few years and figured it may be time for some other folks out there that might want to give it a shot. I don't think there was many or the oldies that has talked in the past. I think Larry still did maybe a few more. It did make me feel good there was some people coming up wanting to know why I was not speaking I told them the same thing I wanna relax and honestly I think everything and every subject has been covered by someone. Also I have seen so many times in the past the seminars seem to be infomercials for people trying to sell and push product. I myself have nothing to sell again this is just my opinion! And on the IRS Paul is 100% right and I know this first hand and I don't even do this for the money! Hell I am dealing with it now lol. Its a long drawn out process and your quilty till you prove yourself innocent! I also agree with Allen so many after hour events. No it does not hurt the show but I can say this I hope they made money in 5 years I have never made a dime and many times paid extra charges! I think Jen should combine her party with mine but I don't see that cause I am sure shes making some off her sponsors. I think it may be time to take a step back and breath some new life into the show. I know of several things that would add excitement to the show hopefully we can talk and work on new things to go along with the show. Shane and it's maybe were at a point where we need some changes?

7. Default  
    I have to say the Dead House Designs Trailer was awesome!!! The Scarefactory hallway was dangerous like you guys are saying. I was warned by another haunter before I entered it for the first to walk real slow and to be careful.
    ~Bill Mlinac
    The Deadland Haunted House
    www.facebook.com/Deadlandhauntedhouse
    www.Thedeadland.com

8. Default  
    I understand now Shane, I was going to chat with you for a few at the Ren when I saw you but you just kept walking away waving at me. I thought it was odd but I see you just wanted to relax.
    ~Bill Mlinac
    The Deadland Haunted House
    www.facebook.com/Deadlandhauntedhouse
    www.Thedeadland.com

9. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Slain View Post
    Vendors.. Meet some great new ones and chumbed up with some old ones.. Bought hardly nothing.. Half of last years order dollars wise .. Im with Larry that Unit 70 will get some $$$$ from us...
    I think the show is really very slow and lame.. No offense to anyone but it is a very boring show. I walked the floor a couple of times per day and except for a few vendors I saw very few folks buying the goods.. lots of folks buying up the floor samples on Sunday.. That is real neat to be able to do if you can haul it..
    I do have some advice for all those that sale cash and carry at the show including Jen at Transworld..
    The IRS will be knocking on your door/booth one of these days.. St. Louis will figure it out and go back X number of years and burn each and and every vendor doing such.. Mark my word it will happen I've seen it first hand. You talk about headaches.. I dont think Transworld or the vendors are prepared for that kind of real TERROR....
    Slain why does it matter if its legit and receipts are given its a sale like any other sale.

Jake

10. Default Jake 
    Mike your right a sale is a but did you pay taxes on it? Nope! Many don't and your supposed to. Well for one you got cash and carry you should be paying tax on that and I assure you that no one added tax to the sales then, do you pay taxes on the product there, do you pay the taxes when you get home. Does the vendor charge tax. It really does open a whole lot of issues. Most don't pay tax when they are at the show so your expected to pay when you get back many don't! I would like to see all vendos charge tax on it so I don't to fool with it when I get back. Lots of issues the IRS likes this kind of stuff! Bill man I am sorry I did not talk to many and I don't want you to think I snubbed you at all. Please if I came off that way it was not my intent! Shane and it's next time just come jump in!

Thread Information