HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: If this happened our industry would go out of business... read this

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default What did you pay when you started and what was your ticket price? 
    The article makes a point about if the worker productivity improvements were coupled with Cost of Living what the min wage would be. A GREAT discussion point.

That said, what was the ticket price of your haunt when you started selling them?

What was minimum wage at that time?

How much has each increased? Who is further ahead?

Here is some info from the labor dept. It was ten years before the last increase from 1997 to 2007 with two auto increases. Now it has been four years again with no increase.

Apr 1, 1990 $3.80

Apr 1, 1991 $4.25

Oct 1, 1996 $4.75

Sep 1, 1997 $5.15

Jul 24, 2007 $5.85

Jul 24, 2008 $6.55

Jul 24, 2009 $7.25

Bottom line is much of the same target demographic that the minumum wage helps is our customer base. Many kids are living at home and can spend money on haunts like movies, games, and misc. How many haunts out there were down last year? The fact is that many haunts have priced themselves out of reach of many of their customers as discussed on another thread.

As some haunts have said, they pay more than minimum already. Maybe those that are paying exactly minimum are getting what they are paying for?
    Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
    Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Haunted Cave, Fort Wayne Indiana

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.facebook.com/hauntedcave

2. Default  
    I think haunts have had to price their haunts at the high number now just to exist. I talk to a lot of haunters and visit many every year. When you stop and see how many paid actors they have and the insurance cost and the marketing it took to impress the guests with their shows and to attract new guests, it costs a small fortune to do a good show. Nowadays I wouldn't touch the concept of opening a new haunt for under 300k at least it just couldn't compete against a strong haunt with sound business sense. It's not like it used to be with black walls and volunteers, its a real business and like any real business it has real expenses and they need to charge what they charge to continue to exist and try to turn a profit. It's a new era now.

DA

3. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe P View Post
    That we have been so suckered into this mindset that if we make more you spend more. If they make "MORE" withot doing anything to "earn" more then the only thing will happen is all of the cost of living will go up which does nothing but keep the poor in the poor house. Its not just the hourly wage that makes people poor. Its bad choices...lottery, beer, cigs, too many kids 22 inch rims on your honda. So yes take more from me to give them more and guess what you might get their vote (which is all they really want) but you wont be better off. By making me have less (who runs two of his own business and risks my OWN capital to succeed) you wont make anyone else better off. Oh sure they might get more on their EBT or the Govt can pay for some more pet projects to get brownie points, but punishing the maker to cater to the takers will eventually land us all in the poor house! Now thats SCARY! Next year I am doing a themed Haunt called OBAMACARE! Its a haunt where a bunch of blood thirsty mindless Zombies are caring for the old sick and weak. Should be a HOOT
    really? are you so blinded by fox that you just assume poor people make bad choices and with more money they would buy rims and smokes...dude,that is the thinking that cost the gop the election,stop judging people you don't know or understand

4. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by hacksaw the clown View Post
    really? are you so blinded by fox that you just assume poor people make bad choices and with more money they would buy rims and smokes...dude,that is the thinking that cost the gop the election,stop judging people you don't know or understand
    Open your eyes he doesn't need a news network to think for him like the PC minded liberal democrats of today. Open your eyes and the truth is there more often than not people are poor in their own accord.

DA

5. Default  
    my eyes are open,wide at that.i was a union firefighter for 20 years,most poor people are poor because of job loss thru no fault of there own,sickness,age,no education again thru no fault of their own,there is nothing to back up your claim that the poor are poor due to their own accord,NOT from 40 oz beers,smokes,and drugs.turn off fox for christsake.poor people aren't the shitbags you think.rich people,now there are some shady chracters for you,their the real shitbags.anyways this forum isn't the place for this so im done
    Last edited by hacksaw the clown; 03-21-2013 at 09:21 PM.

6. Default  
    Hacksaw,

Im assuming you've never lived in an inner city neighborhood in a big city? If not, do that for a couple months and you'll see much of what these guys say is correct. Nice cars, nice clothes, no job, despite being abled bodied. I used to sit on my front steps and literally watch my tax dollars being abused and they felt entitled to do so. Not all poor people are lazy my parents worked hard and did the best they could as many poor people do but to say rich people are automatically worse is just not true and just as much generalizing as what you accused the other guys of saying.

Allan

7. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDKing View Post
    Hacksaw,

Im assuming you've never lived in an inner city neighborhood in a big city? If not, do that for a couple months and you'll see much of what these guys say is correct. Nice cars, nice clothes, no job, despite being abled bodied. I used to sit on my front steps and literally watch my tax dollars being abused and they felt entitled to do so. Not all poor people are lazy my parents worked hard and did the best they could as many poor people do but to say rich people are automatically worse is just not true and just as much generalizing as what you accused the other guys of saying.

Allan
    Exactly!! Thanks Allan apparently he now thinks rich people are all bad. Only lazy people filled with hate and jealousy and shame because of their inability or willingness to make something if themselves hates rich people for being rich. There is good and bad in both classes of people.

DA

8. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkangel View Post
    Exactly!! Thanks Allan apparently he now thinks rich people are all bad. Only lazy people filled with hate and jealousy and shame because of their inability or willingness to make something if themselves hates rich people for being rich. There is good and bad in both classes of people.

DA
    if you reread my post youll see that I said I was a firefighter for 20,in the city,where I met lots of poor people,there not all bad,in fact I bet some of them go to your haunt don't they. so please,go back to discussing haunts and not your hatred toward the poor.

9. Default  
    Warren Buffet's take (more about how things should work) which I've always loved: "Let's say that it was 24 hours before you were born, and a genie appeared and said, 'What I'm going to do is let you set the rules of the society into which you will be born. You can set the economic rules and the social rules, and whatever rules you set will apply during your lifetime and your children's lifetimes.' And you'll say, 'Well, that's nice, but what's the catch?' And the genie says, 'Here's the catch. You don't know if you're going to be born rich or poor, white or black, male or female, able-bodied or infirm, intelligent or retarded.'

10. Default Dear congress.................. 
    Thank you for hurting us !!!!!! (bunch of losers !!!!!) you dont see them giving up anything or giving anything back..........

Thread Information