HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: HauntCon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default  
    Couple things...

One that is my point if its his show he should start threads and keep people informed. He does not... its not about anyone one forum its about any and all forums they have the ability to promote. This is a serious mistake on his part it shows lack of interest on his part, which translates over to vendors or buyers not showing much interest either. MHC which now has tons of people coming does the opposite which just goes to show ... see my point.

I also agree that you can compete with any show if you put forth the effort. We live in a digital world and in that world not much money is needed but effort is ... Hauntcon at least in my opinion shows very little effort. If they want this show to continue they need to put out MAX effort GO ALL OUT which will show potential vendors they are serious about helping them make sales. Just my view point.

Larry

2. Default  
    What I seem to be getting out of this is that Hauntcon didn't promote on these forums therefore they don't put effort into their show. Seems a bit extreme. Whereas those who attended have said that attendance was good. As a marketing person, I do agree that you should get your message out everywhere and anywhere you can, especially using means that are free. But missing one way to get the word out does not imply "little effort".
    Mike Quill
    Fear Town Haunted House

3. Default  
    I don't think Transworld has a thread on that forum (hauntforum)
    because its dominated by home haunters and haunt enthusiasts.

Not many pro haunts of significance post over there.

DA

4. Default  
    Leonard did promote Hauntcon heavily on Twitter. He seems to really be into Twiiter. I wish I could've attended.

5. Default  
    Can anyone READ? I said clear as day that I didn't see anything anywhere ... Haunt Forums are for home haunters. Twitter that is a joke no one is following Twitter other than celebs or sports stars. And sorry to be deliver the bad news no one pays attention to facebook either... people only pay attention to their own facebook page. I'm NOT saying because he didn't promote on any one thing I'm saying the sum of everything out there... one guy pointed out that even on the home haunter sites Leonard did NOT start the threads himself it was started by others. As for TW having threads OMG give me a break, you had zillions of people talking about it for months they didn't need to start one. You had everyone from vendors starting threads about new products they are bringing, to Shanes party thread to hundreds more. Hauntcon had no presence at the TW show, very little marketing, and all I'm saying is at the very least he could personally try to promote the show himself for FREE but that wasn't even done. The show is down to almost no vendors and I'm saying they need to get on the ball if this show is going to make it. I think anyone with half a brain would agree with that... only a moron who doesn't understand how to spell cat or dog when it comes to marketing wouldn't agree.

MHC is on the ball, even this EHC or this West Coast thing you hear more about those shows than Hauntcon. I want Hauntcon to succeed but Leonard needs to get off his coach and work harder.

Larry

6. Default  
    As I understand it, hauntcon had no presence at Transworld because Leonard was told he's not welcome anywhere near Transworld because they found out about his email blasts that Transworld deemed negative.

Transworld is crucial to reaching the industry.

DA

7. Default Bottom Line 
    The bottom line is that attendance was up and those who went enjoyed the show. It was a good location for it, good tours, good education. I'm yet to really hear anything negative from someone who was at the show. Debating their marketing is kind of irrelevant.
    Mike Quill
    Fear Town Haunted House

8. Default  
    Honestly any better marketing and they would have outgrown their venue. So they nailed how many they could handle. Also the Hauntcon audience is not the transworld audience. There is an overlap, but it is rather small. So marketing at transworldwould not help as much with getting happy atendees. I hate it when a show over promises, it is always a let down. Very glad they did not do that. The forums the show was on are more his audience and as a vendor I love that it is diferent people.
    Allen H

9. Default  
    I think their venue was small because they aren't getting vendor support any longer... I want to see Hauntcon succeed. I like the idea of traveling to different cities each you and exposing to the entire industry new haunts, new cities, and new fresh idea's each year. But the show is shrunk now to the point it doesn't even need a show floor and I just wonder out loud here if it would be better off dumping that element all together. Otherwise the show specifically Leonard needs to get on the bike and go all out to promote the show to the entire industry. I stand by what I said that he doesn't even come close to reaching out to the industry to drive in buyers not also vendors.

When the show started it had lots of vendors now not so much... I'm also NOT buying into they can't get them because of Transworld. You can get them 110% but you have to put forth a much better effort than he does now.

The effort in my opinion on a scale of 1-10 is below a 5... take away Transworld money and what effort do they make ??? I would say 10 plus all the way. MHC same thing their effort is 10 plus and the results speak for themselves. I like the CONCEPT of Hauntcon better than I like MHC because an MHC style show is stationed in one spot and is limited to the haunts it can showcase, so I hope Hauntcon either gets on or off the bus!

Larry

10. Default  
    I didn't go to Hauntcon even though it was only 3 hours away from me due to commercial business deadlines. Still, I have been able to objectively see how it works, and it is what it is. There is no reason to advertise nationally for something that comes into a region once over 10 years, recruits all the local haunts to participate and uses social media to inform people that are already your contacts.

The places he is chosing are small and it isn't enough for a big vendor to make a buck but for the brand new guy who wants a responce about his products, the booth cost is super reasonable and it is all doable. Starting out one might rather want their products to be sold and delivered even in person instead of thinking globally right off the bat when you only have 50 of something.

The parties, the seminars, the haunt tours all have a following. Many of my local haunts do consider this the show they want to attend no matter where in the country it is because of the unpressured pace and low attendance allows lots of one on one contact with people.

He hits regions that are already a large community that is already connected, it isn't just pick out a city and try to make it work. Its more like back in the Myspace days, there was an article about a band that had a van and a trailer with their instruments and would myspace the next town and get 300 people in a small bar. That to them was a successful number for what they had to offer, what merchandise they had to sell while at the location and what minimums they collected from the door. End of story, it wasn't a get famous or discovered thing, it was make a living kind of thing and I think this article might have come to me from the old Haunted attraction days.

Why spend big bucks and go through all the motions nationally when you are working limited capacity venues? Everything doesn't have to be super hyped or in competition with something else.

So the local haunt community and a few of the local stars become the hosts of the event in a way and it is all nice. Those that do make it their business to travel get that same welcoming in all the other towns. So it isn't about neon signs and Las Vegas adds, it becomes as simple as smiling at freinds even though you have nothing to say as you walk by. Real freinds, not networking victims and drinking buddies.

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Thread Information