HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: scareLA convention

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default  
    All of these shows are welcome to promote away or send me emails and I'll add them to our page devoted to tradeshows. But I got no email asking. I would agree poor promotion on their part. My tradeshow page gets tons of hits... actually same goes triple for Leonard and Hauntcon he in my opinion doesn't get very aggressive either with Hauntcon.

You have people who want to make money and they think the key to doing that is to spend as little as possible... WRONG!

Lastly this show was poorly thought out... haunt owners can't make a show in August right before their haunts open! So I would assume this show is really for enthusiasts. Larry

2. Default I popped my cherry guys!!!! 
    I JUST GOT BACK!!!

This show was my first ever. I learned soooo much and saw so many awesome things. There was one vendor showing animatronics, everyone else was showing masks, prosthetics, makeup, paint, things of that nature. It was busy in my opinion. It took about 45 minutes to see all of the vendors just to walking time. When I stopped to talk to them I spent about an hour at one booth just talking to the guy. He was explaining everything about his silicone masks. He let me try one on it was so awesome. I took a video and I'll post it on youtube and put a link on here. These things were beautiful! The prosthetics were cool. They seeming pretty standard nothing mind blowing. Dapper Caddaver was there OHHHHHH!!! I saw his props and the body parts they looked great! I had always wanted to see them in person and now I have. OH Sid Haig was there. I think thats how you spell his name. The clown guy from House of a 1000 corpses. He is pretty mellow from what I saw. Very animated. I didn't have the money to get his autograph on a picture but It was cool just to meet him. I also met Eric Fox from FaceOff. That dude is so chill. I wanted to pick his brain but he had a huge line waiting to take pictures with him. Butch Dihary was there from ContoursFX and I had registered for a class to take with him but I missed it because of family issues but I'll look for that oppurtunity again. His work is soo amazing. He had a little booth you can see is artwork, it was so amazing!

You know I had a great time. I learned so much. And as far as marketing it they did a great job. Remember Larry, LA is a big place, we like Halloween stuff too. We can have our own haunt convention. Besides you never want to come play with use you just want to stay in St. Louis.

I loved it, it taught me so much, and it won't be my last. GOD I CAN'T WAIT TO GET STARTED!!! WOOHOO!
    Its A Verbal Orgy on Steroids!

3. Default  
    Just FYI... if that show was in St Louis I would have gone no doubt about it. If I lived in LA I would have gone to that show, Monsterpoloza, during October I'd hit Universal and Knotts and the list goes on. I think you missed the point... people who own and operate haunted houses can't fly to LA in August to either speak or exhibit or to just attend.

I'm sure you had a blast I would have to if I was in LA. As for me not wanting to leave STL... well we are trying to get our three haunts open, plus build 4 for other people plus a mini golf. Kinda hard to leave! LOL

Either way I'm glad you had fun! Please post some pictures!!!

Larry

4. Default  
    absolutely! And please don't misinterpret anything I said as hostile. I still want to get to STL and go to Transworld. My wife is talking about her and I going this next year. So I might actually get to meet you finally. Either way I did have fun. I also understand that August is very late for HAUNT OPERATORS becuase you guys are already building and getting ready. I even told the ticket girl at the counter that once I got there.

5. Default  
    From all my friends on Twitter and on Facebook that went/are going, it was a very good success with a large turnout and awesome panels and classes. Good for them. If I weren't flying overseas tomorrow, I would have been there myself.

-=CoasterBP

6. Default  
    Someone post a report and some pictures!!!

We tried to help this show put it up on our facebook!

If they had asked we would have added to our tradeshow list but no one did.

Larry

7. Default  

heres the best video to give you the all around just of the convention. I only took pictures with my family and one video of me wearing a mask. Not very helpful.

8. Default  

9. Default Congrats Scare LA 
    According to the posted videos it looked like a good turn out! There have been posts talking about how it wasn't marketed and how the pro haunters would not go to which I would say yes and no..or no and yes. Obviously it was not marketed to the pro haunters. It is in August where we are all too busy prepping for our shows. We are not going to take time away from set-up, marketing and production of our own attractions which are our livelihoods. As far as a motivational time, again motivation is something at this time of the year if you don't have it, you'll be out of business.

From the video they had people attend, LA is a big market. Looking at the vendors it was obviously geared to haunt enthusiasts. Individual haunted houses were vendors. Haunts do not promote themselves at TW because TW attendees will be busy in October! For home haunters and enthusiasts August is a good time to motivate them. If the vendors had cash and carry or smaller items you might even get your stuff before October 31st, but again a pro haunter needs stuff by August, Sept. at the latest.

You see the mix of vendors and seminars geared towards enthusiasts and that's who they marketed to, haunt enthusiasts in the LA area. Again a huge market and some of its inhabitants will plunk down big bucks for their home displays. Many of we consider the pros of the industry again WORK in the industry so they are busy! If you own or run a haunt, you are working. If you don't, then you could afford to go. If you are based in LA you could also sneak away for a bit. But to travel, too much time.

Could this show survive in a time frame when pro haunters could attend? Unknown. With all the other shows, we still only have so much time and money. Focusing on enthusiasts right before they intend to get excited and do things...good choice.

Good show, for what it was intended, absolutely yes. If its goal is the pro haunt market, it won't happen. If I was in LA with time to spare I'd go. However it was a bit of a "tame" show... the girl from Shot In The Dark (always running around with her breasts decorated) had a DRESS on!!!

Good luck and future success.
    R&J Productions
    Las Vegas, NV
    www.LasVegasHaunts.com

10. Default  
    The show seemed packed to me and it was a great time. You could tell you're in LA, because the make up and costumes made the ones you see at Transworld look pretty mild by comparison. Very motivating show!

Jake

Thread Information