HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Haunted House Maze Construction?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default walls 
    I've been in the building/construction industry for the past ten years and have seen so many different construction methods of building or framing walls. I think it all depends on how you frame your walls or how you've created your modular system. Without a doubt if your wall is a solid state wall that is framed like traditional building 16 or 24 inch on center studding I'd go into the ground with a wedge anchor through the sill plate instead of Tapcons because they break and spin out to easy if you don't drill the pilot hole correctly. Wedge anchors are drilled in with a hammer drill and if you need to remove them you have two options. Option A bang them through the concrete slab and fill with cement fix or concrete adhesive or grind them off so they're level with the floor. I will also say though that I agree with Larry as well on a modular system. If your modular system is secured in three to four spots including top and bottom and into another modular panel then it would be incredibly hard to move and/or pull apart after it was standing. This is on the assumption your walls are constructed using 2x4s and adequate cross bracing. I think if you look back at Shane's progress pics for Disturbia you can see the traditional framing route. And I'm sure there are some great progress threads on modular wall set up in here too. I see both ways being successful if DONE CORRECTLY. Larry maybe if you ever get the chance you could take a snap shot or two of how you connect your modular system together at the top. It might help.

2. Default  
    Your facility and haunt design has a lot to do with the way your inspector looks at your project. The "Flammability rating" for your facility and specific words you use when talking to an inspector can play a huge factor in how an inspector views your project. If you tell him you're gonna be in this facility for a few years, he'll be thinking "permanent structure". Inspectors that are in cities that have a lot of seasonal business are more apt to have more experience in this area.

Its been my experience that most inspectors are ignorant to codes that pertain to "amusements" and instead of them taking a chance on what they don't know or haven't see before, they fall back on what they do know "traditional building codes for residential and commercial buildings".

The fastest way to pass an inspection is to do what the inspector says you have to do to pass inspection.

The best way to teach an inspector something new is to ask them about something their not sure of, (be inquisitive, not pushy) a good inspector will go back and do some research on the issue, I've even had a few admit to having to call a bigger city for an answer. If they're honest they'll get back with you with a few options. There ARE codes for temporary structures and amusement or entertainment type structures.

I hope I've explained this well enough and not just added confusion to the conversation.

Thread Information