HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Too many old man silicone masks

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default  
    deleted all
    Last edited by ianfxmen; 06-26-2013 at 06:22 AM.

2. Default  
    deleted all the posts

Quote Originally Posted by jack View Post
    I am so over old man masks. What is Halloween, Night of the living Grandpas?

Yes, you're a great sculptor, yes, it's excellent work. But how many old man masks does anybody need? Particularly realflesh--they use the same form for all their masks so every one looks related to every other one so it's old man who aged THIS way, and the same old man aged differently. Their Frankenstein looks like the old man--but with a squarish head and stitches and staples. Great, amazingly detailed, superbly crafted masks--of the same person. Please, buy a new form. Cast some employees. Something.
    Last edited by ianfxmen; 06-26-2013 at 06:23 AM.

3. Default  
    [MENTION=18702]ianfxmen[/MENTION] I'm pretty sure this discussion isn't about you specifically. It's about the overabundance of old men masks in the silicone mask market.

4. Default  
    I LOVE Ian's work, and disagree about the overabundance of old
    Men masks.

To be honest, silicone masks are a nich market, you must push what sells, and clearly, these are flying out of the
    Molds left and right with how popular they are. I know a lot of
    People order elderly masks for music videos, movies, plays, pranks etc, for performing arts, it's much more convenient to throw a young guy in an old mask than try and find a grandpa who can spin on his head on a cardboard box.

I can understand why Ian was upset, the guys a true artist and multiple people brought his masks up, but Ian, it's a compliment buddy! Be proud people know your work and can admit publicly how freakin well it is made! Haunters, myself included, are hard to impress and stuck in our ways sometimes! It's nothing personal.

Keep up the great mask making Ian, I enjoy seeing the different masks and paint schemes everyone puts out for silicone masks, I wish I had that skill!

5. Default  
    Ian, you misjudge me. I LOVE your work. Great texture, fabulous paint jobs. They just all look alike. I know you're dealing with the limitations of the silicone, and I appreciate that. But I don't understand why you can't find several different cores with different facial structures but the same overall dimensions. I have 3 different 'average guy' heads, 3 'big guy' heads, and two 'little guy' heads(not as many female heads, but a variety there as well) all cast from customers or friends. It's not hard to get them

Your stuff is great--but, right now, to anyone with any familiarity with it, it has an 'I've seen this before' vibe--because each looks so much like the mask next to it. If you had some different facial structures to work with your stuff could blow everyone out of the water.

Nome of this is meant as a jibe. Maybe as a nudge, you know?

6. Default  
    deleted all

Quote Originally Posted by jack View Post
    Ian, you misjudge me. I LOVE your work. Great texture, fabulous paint jobs. They just all look alike. I know you're dealing with the limitations of the silicone, and I appreciate that. But I don't understand why you can't find several different cores with different facial structures but the same overall dimensions. I have 3 different 'average guy' heads, 3 'big guy' heads, and two 'little guy' heads(not as many female heads, but a variety there as well) all cast from customers or friends. It's not hard to get them

Your stuff is great--but, right now, to anyone with any familiarity with it, it has an 'I've seen this before' vibe--because each looks so much like the mask next to it. If you had some different facial structures to work with your stuff could blow everyone out of the water.

Nome of this is meant as a jibe. Maybe as a nudge, you know?
    Last edited by ianfxmen; 06-26-2013 at 06:23 AM.

7. Default  
    Ian, I think you should consider what happened with spfx. They were first for silicone masks and were super hot for a year or two but then CFX came out with a much broader selection and styles and many more monster and character masks and they blow spfx away to the point where they are virtually irrelevant in the haunt industry and just sells key component equipment for bank robberies, aka realistic and old man masks.

CFX and immortal are growing because they try new techniques, and add more vibrant paint schemes and that's what people really want.

Hope this helps you out. If your core is realistic masks that's where you should focus of course but when approaching haunted they seem to want monsters and interesting looks.

DA

8. Default  
    Ian, what Jack is trying to say is ALL of your masks have similar wide, flat noses, broad, flat foreheads, wide chins, deep nasolabial folds, and flat against the head ears that curl slightly out at the top. If they are not all brothers, then they are all cousins in a very inbred family. Moving wrinkle lines around does not really change a sculpt if the basic form is the same. Expand your photo morgue and look at different faces. Push out the cheekbones, narrow the nose, point the chin, change the temporal line, make the ears go straight out, just do something really different.

9. Default  
    I for one would never buy an old man mask, or for that matter a mask to make a person into another person like a black guy, or some thug looking guy... silly!

I want monsters, zombies, etc, etc... nothing more and the more creative the better.

On the other hand I would agree that there are people out there especially bank robbers who do want those masks... I've also noticed many movies now are using old man masks for example for bad guys to wear into a bank or whatever. I also remember one of those Knoxville movies where he wore an old man masks, and had balls hanging out of his shorts freaking out people... it was funny.

I do agree that maybe lots of people want them for all kinds of reasons but from a haunted house perspective I would never buy a normal looking person mask or an old guy mask. Again I know they are probably popular but many of these mask guys are making them and yes there is probably too many now.

Bottom line you can't go wrong with MONSTERS!!!

Go MONSTERS!

Larry

10. Default  
    Ian,

I really don't think anyone is taking a jab at you.
    As a matter of fact I think you have just been given a crazy gift that most vendors would kill to know.
    One of the hardest things in this industry is knowing what to do next.
    And now YOU know.

Thread Information