HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Too many old man silicone masks

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Default  
    I agree with Kevin, I don't think anyone is talking about any company just in general. I think when silicone masks first came out old man masks and thug type masks where some of the firsts... so this goes way back. And now with all these new companies seems like everyone has old man masks, thug masks, or whatever. I think the comments are more in general and I tend to agree actually... but only if we are talking about the haunt industry. But any mask company doesn't just sell to the haunt industry so sure I'm betting you are right and you sell lots of them. Any good business man is going to make what sells, and if they sell make them... however I simply think overall haunters want monsters.

Larry

2. Default  
    Ian, what Kevin says is right. We're not trying to cut you down, we are trying to get you to break out of your comfort zone and expand yourself as an artist. Don't think about what is safe to do in making a silicone mask, but how far can you push the boundaries. I'm putting on my Art Director hat (a job I did for about a decade for a magazine publishing group) and giving you an assignment. Do an old witch/hag face. Push the forms, exaggerate the features in the rough sculpt, then pull it back just a bit.

3. Default  
    Hey, Ian, you think you could post a picture of the core you use?

4. Default  
    I have no artistic skill of the level of any of these mask makers. I think its phenomenal! That being said I do think that one particular company can try something a little new. One of the previous post about CFX and SPFX is true. The one started it all (pursay) than CFX came in with the different ideas and they look interesting.

HOWEVER,

The overabundance of human like old man masks is no existent. There are dozens of different mask makers with thousands of different ideas for mask other than the human like old man mask. Whatever the case I still can't wait to get a crap load of masks FROM EVERYBODY!

YIPEE! Lol.
    Its A Verbal Orgy on Steroids!

5. Default  
    deleted all
    Last edited by ianfxmen; 06-26-2013 at 06:24 AM.

6. Default  
    Ian, I think your masks look fantastic! I would definitely love to see some more monsters!

7. Default  
    Ian, perhaps this animated gif can demonstrate what we are talking about.
    realfleshani.gif

8. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Infoamtek View Post
    Ian, perhaps this animated gif can demonstrate what we are talking about.
    realfleshani.gif

Perfect that about sums it up. Really only the zombie looked a little different the other monsters looked just like the old man. Thanks for making that gif.

Variety is the spice of life!

DA

9. Default  
    I know JACK about masks or mask making. I've only done a few half masks and that's it, and a few full head for filling for props.

I also know JACK about any of these companies except for whats on their sites. I don't know anyone in particular, especially this Ian guy.

I DO know that no one was making jabs except for the point with the GIF and after seeing that, yes, I agree.

I have never owned a silicone mask and I still have yet to get to that point. But I'm trying.

What other things I DO know, is business. We have to capitalize on what's 'in'. Just like Brad Pitt and WWZ, which I'm about to go see. (missed my 4:55 showing for a miscalculated, unexpected NAP) So, what's this got to do with business? Well, a few years ago I told people "Zombies are the next thing. You watch, there'll soon be a zombie walk in almost every major city, a huge increase in zombie movies and before you know it, they'll be CUTE and all the kids will love them." Well, my daughter is 3yo, will be 4 this Halloween and guess what? She wants to be a zombie princess.

So, the 'new' is what we run with. The next 'in' thing. Old man masks were a HIT and once word started spreading or people's ideas of how to use them, sales increased. Businesses MUST capitalize on these 'hits' in order to keep up with the growing industry and stay in the green. So I expect that sales had a LOT to do with the making of so many old man masks. Plus, if you have a script for using more than one, it'd be nice to have more than one. Unfortunately, in case of the 'gif' company, you'd have to go to different producers to get different looking masks.

However, with all that said, understanding that it just had to happen, I sort of agree, there's a ton of them. But again, I do understand. If like, upwards of 50% of your sales are for one particular type of mask, bygolly ya better be designing more type of those masks.

I like realism and like Larry, I LOVE MONSTERS! You can't go wrong with monsters, especially ones so far fetched it's goofy to even believe it's real for even a second, and then scare the ever living crap out of someone with it.

I have no dog in this fight :P I just felt like chatting, Cherrio!

10. Default Then again, maybe? 
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    Those who don't like the old man masks .. are just phobic about becoming an old man themselves?
    "Take off your mask!"
    "I am Not wearing a MASK!"
    Screams to follow.....
    Being 64 yrs. old saves me tons of money on make up! "Old Guy , Jim"

Thread Information