HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Fear Asylum build photos

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default Entrance photo 
    image.jpg
    Just got done with the entrance columns. Pretty happy with the final product.
    Capt.Chaos
    Fear Asylum Haunted House
    Brookings,SD

fear-asylum.com

2. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Chaos View Post
    Attachment 16743Attachment 16744Attachment 16745

Larry's video said you can make Anything out of foam. The foam came from old hot tub covers. Most hot tub dealers have tons of old covers that have foam in them. They are usually waterlogged and you can get them for free. Dry the foam out and go to town. The doors came from a grocery store that was remodeling. They were also free.

Buck
    Do you have any advice for drying that foam out?

3. Default Drying foam 
    I do. First cut it in the size you want. I other words make it smaller. Then set out in the sun or set a dehumidifier by it. If it is really saturated it may take awhile. That does not bother me, I just choose what foam I have for what I may need. If I have a bunch of bricks, I will cut them into brick size and then dry them. Some stuff I don't care if the foam is wet. The only real bad deal about wet foam is you can't use a foam cutter. However, I rarely use those anyway. Hope that helps.
    Capt.Chaos
    Brookings,SD

fear-asylum.com

4. Default  

5. Default  
    The folks at the hot tub store said they've never been able to get the center of the foam dry, so I was wondering about what sort of difference it makes. This helps! Thanks.

One more question: Do you need any special tricks to get paint to adhere to the foam..?

Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Chaos View Post
    I do. First cut it in the size you want. I other words make it smaller. Then set out in the sun or set a dehumidifier by it. If it is really saturated it may take awhile. That does not bother me, I just choose what foam I have for what I may need. If I have a bunch of bricks, I will cut them into brick size and then dry them. Some stuff I don't care if the foam is wet. The only real bad deal about wet foam is you can't use a foam cutter. However, I rarely use those anyway. Hope that helps.
    And those columns are gorgeous!

6. Default Drying foam 
    Well once again it depends on what I'm using it for. For example, I took (1) 8'x8' cover that was saturated. I cut it into 2 ft strips and then took the (4) strips that were 3" thick and glued them together with GREAT STUFF. That is the only thing that I have found that will work on bonding the foam at this size. Then I carved it to look like a stalagmite. Still wet in the middle but I don't care. The column I showed was made with covers cut into 1" thick pieces. I set the 1" piece out in the sun for about a week and away we went. Hope that helps. Also most hot tub dealers have big cover sales in the Spring and Winter. That would be the time to role in and pick up a bunch of foam.
    Capt.Chaos
    Brookings,SD

fear-asylum.com

Thread Information