HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Best Marketing For 2013... what is the best way to market your haunt.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by drfrightner View Post
    Shane, NO ONE USES facebook anymore not kids they use INSTAGRAM
    Larry
    I was just lurking around and read this thread and thought that since i'm a teen, my impute might be valuable. Everyone i know uses facebook. Yes other social media apps like Instagram are becoming more popular, but that doesn't mean facebook is becoming less popular. It's still as active as ever. That being said, it all depends on the trends in your area. I doubt that Dfrightner was lying when he said that his kids don't use facebook, the trends that the kids near him follow might be different from where i am.

Just my two cents.

2. Default  
    I thought I might as well chime in here also since I am also a high school student. I am not going to agree or disagree with any of you because I obviously don't have nearly as much experience as most of you guys in marketing. Though, something I have noticed is as kids go through middle school Facebook is the cool thing and then later into high school Instagram and Twitter become the new cool because they start to realize their parents are checking up on them and monitoring their every post or "like" on Facebook.

I personally have seen a lot less posting by my friends on Facebook and more by different businesses and pages and half of my friends who do post are re-posting photos and what not from other social networks such as Instagram. Lots of people don’t like seeing ad’s all over their news feed so they go somewhere where they will only see what they want to. I am sure it will be differ from where you are and what kind of people you are trying to attract, but I live in Portland, OR and as soon as Vine was launched everyone started making Vines, then once Instagram launched their video feature lots of people went back to Instagram. Making videos on Instagram or even Vine promoting your haunt would seem to be more beneficial than running ad’s on Facebook or even Twitter, it’s easy and free, you would probably get more feedback about how awesome the video was, people aren't going to necessarily share or talk about an advertisement they see, then you would eventually see people re-posting the video you made to their linked accounts.

Also, we can’t forget about Ad Block add-ons, Chrome and Firefox both support them so people who use these add-ons never see any advertisements whether their on Pandora, Facebook, Twitter or whatever else. Social Media is always changing so really you just have to be able to keep up with it.

Okay that was all, I am very thankful for these forums. You really learn a lot with discussions like these.
    Last edited by HalloweenHaunter; 07-18-2013 at 07:11 PM.
    Brandon Treadway
    Producer | The Haunted Ghost Town
    www.TheHauntedGhostTown.com
    Portland, Oregon

3. Default  
    FB use to be mostly teenagers/ college kids now it's the whole family.

http://business.time.com/2013/03/08/...eens-think-so/

4. Default  
    I think there's a lot of great advice in this thread.

I agree that social Media WILL NOT directly be responsible for selling tickets, or even be the best
    method of promotion for your haunt, and to be successful, you need a great haunted attraction.

Social Media should be a reflection of your haunt because it thrives off of great content. Great Haunts
    can produce Great Content. There is a right way and a wrong way to use Social Media. Understanding
    how to make it work within your existing campaign is the trick.

Currently, the top Social Media platforms are: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Youtube, and
    Google+. Each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

The most common mistake when it comes to using Social Media is to assume that each site is the same.
    Each one has different uses, reaches different people, needs unique/different content from each
    other, and affects SEO (search engine optimization) differently.

Have you heard of Facebook’s “Edge Ranking” and what is means? How about Twitter and
    what “Trending Hashtags” are? Do you think Google+ and Facebook are the same thing? Did you know
    that the time of day or the day of the week can help or hurt your posts? Understanding these question
    can allow you to have a great Social Media experience.

TV, Radio, Newspapers, and their respective websites are all different depending on your area and are
    too inconsistent across the board with results to say whether they will be a sure fire method of marketing.
    Reps will tell you what you wanna hear to get your business and can offer very little proof as to how well
    they worked for you. How many POST SEASON follow ups do you get? They just don't understand this industry
    and the time frame within. Always challenge their proposals until you're happy with it. You may need to educate them.

Social Media is by far cheaper but should NEVER be your only investment of time and/or money in your marketing
    strategy. You need to research your area and find what works for you. Some of them will work for some of
    you, just like social media. (Guerilla Marketing, Sponsorships and having a huge presence in the community
    are a no brainer and a whole other discussion.)

At the end of the day... A Well Rounded marketing campaign and having
    a Great Haunt equal Happy and Returning Customers.

Remember, It’s not about how many FOLLOWERS you have, its about
    the ENGAGEMENT you CREATE with your followers.

If social media is your thing or you’d like to try using it more efficiently, i created a
    group dedicated to Social Media Tips and Tricks.
    http://www.hauntworld.com/haunted_ho...php?groupid=12
    Last edited by Fear Master Hartley; 07-19-2013 at 09:53 AM.

5. Default Marketing Campaigns have to be tailored 
    I am a marketing professional by day, so I know a lot about how to market companies and products. We use a number of tools and methods for marketing our company. But the haunt is a different story. You have to look at your demographics (true with any marketing campaign). Our haunt is in the country. Not a lot of people online out here. In fact our banner had the website address and nothing more, because I wanted them to go to the website for details. Didn't work. Most of the people in our area do not have computers. So I ahve changed our campaign this year.

1. Banners in front of the park with dates and times
    2. An ad in the local newspaper. Lots of people read it last year and came because of the ad
    3. Radio ads with the local radio station. Its the only one in town and everyone listens to it
    4. The local Chamber events, parades, fairs, etc. Worked great last year handing out flyers and having our characters walk around the event in costume with flyers.
    5. Lots of sponsors. Our flyers go up all around town. Tattoo shops, restaurants, our local golf cart shop (they also provide golf carts for the haunt). I might even check the local telephone company this year.

We are also marketing well outside of the area, in several metro areas. To reach these areas we are using a separate campaign.

1. Twitter. There are tools where you can automate Twitter, but you can also search for people in a specific vicinity who tweet on specific topics (like Halloween, horror movies, or zombies). We are tweeting our story line, and it is working
    2. Facebook, tied to our Twitter account. On FB you can also schedule posts and automate it. So we have a couple of characters who post their log every week (staggered so something goes out every couple of days). Our storyline is getting out there, and because it is tied to Twitter, it is easy to track.
    3. Fav cards. Awesome little 2x2 squares with your logo and website address. We pass these out everywhere we go. Concerts, shopping malls, makeup stores, restaurants, EVERYWHERE!

We have definitely increased our online following using the above techniques, so hopefully we will see this turn into ticket sales. I'll let you know post-season if it worked. Marketing is tough, and in our area it is really tough to figure out how to reach everyone, because they are not a progressive audience.
    Travis "Big T" Russell
    President
    Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

6. Default  
    Ed,

Couple things... no I wasn't referring to you or your company. I was referring to a company in a whole other state... I have no idea where you got that I was talking about you guys. You lost me totally.

Two I never ever never said don't use social media... in fact I said to use social media because its free. What I said was don't put any money into it because the return is so low you'll want to shoot yourself in the face for it later. I know there are people out there who believe just because YOU listen to XYZ radio station everyone must do it, or just because you blog all day long on your facebook you might actually be stupid enough to think someone besides yourself and two others are reading it ... but honestly very few people read your blog, read your facebook comments that you leave on any page especially your own.

Everyone who has a facebook page who is really active posting on it thinks they are really letting all their friends know what they are up to... and your not.

Ed I went to Nightmare Factory facebook and I couldn't find ONE POST you put up there with even ONE comment! Then I visited your person page and looks like you put a lot of funny videos up there people like those and the handful of people who might have seen them left one comment here, two there, none there, 3 here... you have 1200 friends or so but only a handful has ever made a comment.

Its nothing personal its just facebook. It doesn't work the way you think it does...

The point of the facebook tirade is there are a lot of haunters out there that truly do NOT UNDERSTAND marketing not even a little... many times you get haunters who do what they think is popular. WRONG!

I'm always trying to share what I know and what I've learned and I learned some painful lessons with Facebook last year... I'm sharing those. You can choose to believe me, listen to me, do your own thing, investigate more, or simple say that Larry thinks he's a know it all and I'll do the exact opposite. Hey I've been wrong so many times I can't even count... so I would say investigate more.

But for those who pour tons of money into facebook thinking its some awesome marketing tool will lose business not gain any... it doesn't work the way people think it does.

As for me saying kids don't use it anymore... its an exaggerated statement that I totally stand behind. Every kid I know is only using instagram... I've had tons of kids telling me they have a page but haven't posted on it in months. Instagram is the new big thing... and before you know we might be saying remember myspace, remember facebook?

Larry

7. Default  
    I would like to note that the number of fans and likes does not directly translate to how the page is used. You have to use FB metrics to see how many clicks you have on the page.

Look at the AMC Theater Facebook page, they have nearly 4 million fans and their posts, even with free coupons and contests, get less than 0.05% of their "likes".

If a haunt has 1,500 fans and 10 people like a comment that is already a better response rate than AMC. The point is that free social media works for people who are interested in the product. It's highly likely that your page is visited by many, many more people than you have fans, but without measuring the activity you cannot really make a solid claim, it's just anecdotal.

To move back towards general marketing, I'm wondering what should be the focus of the main ad campaign? Should it be target marketing or blanket campaigning? Should the purpose be to simply put the haunt out there as an activity option in the general public's mind or should resources be spent marketing more towards the target audience?

Obviously both should be done to some extent, but many haunts have limited resources. Is it better to invest heavily in one strategy?
    Last edited by Toothpaste; 07-23-2013 at 08:58 AM.

8. Default Tooth 
    You are exactly correct and that's what I was saying the number of fans do not reflect who see's it or how it's shared. This reminded me of a post I made in May it had over 13,000 shares and was seen by 230,000 plus people for some reason when it rolled over 230,000 it reset back to 111,000. I could not share it but I took a picture to show. Trust me people see and people talk!!! Not everyone likes or fan pages a page but they are seeing it if they wanna here is the proof! And again as you can see some gets a few hits and some gets thousands and that means people are noticing! Shane and it's here!

You can go to Disturbias Fan page and scroll back and see it it's still there......
    Attached Images

9. Default  
    Its interesting that you say you 40% of your coupons came off of facebook... when you try to analyze those statements may factors would have to be in play.

For example I have 10 sponsors, and this year I have every single gas station in the market through Dr. Pepper promotion. I have coupons all over the place we are talking millions... if I did a coupon on facebook I'm betting it wouldn't even end up at 1%. I print 2 million alone, plus my website you can download a coupon if you give me a valid email address all the way to coupons be passed out at each of our haunts for the other haunts...

If you are doing everything all out balls to the wall going for broke... and you do everything on the same level your 40% number will drop to a percent or two at best. I tracked facebook last year I tracked the click though to my website, and ticket sales with facebook codes. Bottom line it took $8.00 to sell one ticket.

This is a fact!

It can't be argued or disputed... I have 52,000 likes and counting. I will continue to invest my time and energy into my page I like it actually but money or rely upon it to sell tickets... NO WAY! Whether anyone sees it or not the teens are already moving away from Facebook and now there are so many options available to teens I can't even keep up with it anymore.

Check out www.Scarefest.com

See the social media tool bar ... its a cool feature to add to your site btw. But I don't even have a page for half this stuff nor would I ever have time to keep up with everything. Social media is not the best way to market your haunt and I'm telling you right now if you rely on it to much you will regret it. I will however continue to grow my page it shows sponsors and people how popular your haunts are... that is a good thing. We want to be popular that is how you sell tickets... right? LOL

Larry

10. Default  
    Let me say this folks... these discussions are great. You don't have to agree with me or agree with this guy or that guy... this is why you have these forums to trade insight, experience, information and more. I enjoy this conversations because they help people think and learn or at the very least make someone scratch their heads.

I think we've beaten Facebook up pretty good pro and con.

What are some of the other new marketing things you will try this year?

Larry

Thread Information