HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: America Haunts 2013 question

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default  
    Well said Bobby, and I think each haunt in the country feels the same way. Very true on the haunts that are on these lists. Places like Netherworld, Darkness, Hoochie, Hundred Acres Manor...These places set a standard and deserve every accolade they get as do many others, and, make us ALL look good in the process. I'm ridiculously stoked to be in this industry and, I am truly honored when my place gets complimented and attended. HOWEVER, what stops some wealthy fella with a first year haunt with black plastic and cardboard walls from buying into a well known "list".
    Like a midget at a urinal, you gotta be on your toes

http://www.wellstownshiphauntedhouse.com

2. Default  
    A wealthy fella would not have black plastic and cardboard. At the very least they would have a very lovely Scarefactory/Unit 70 show room. That will usually pass as standard.

Louis Brown
    Owner, operator, and dish washer
    at
    DarkWood Manor

3. Default  
    Lurker LOL@ the showroom comment!

4. Default Or Maybe Mr. Wealthy.. 
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    Had just paid three or ten times for that black plastic and cardboard because a "Good Friend" was advising him?
    You never know?
    Maybe THAT Black Plastic is really Haunted because it was recycled from second-hand body bags?
    Maybe the cardboard was made from a haunted sacred forrest cut down because someone's religion had changed?
    Every Haunt can be truthful saying theirs is "The Best!" just qualify it in the small type at the bottom of the poster or ad.
    I know one that all they need to add is "Best Haunt in the "only open 6 hours a year "catagory.
    I had a local Farmer tell me I had "The Best Haunted House By a Dam Site!" The Dam was very close to my house as is the river.
    The dam only lasted from 1838 to 1911.

5. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by lurker View Post
    A wealthy fella would not have black plastic and cardboard. At the very least they would have a very lovely Scarefactory/Unit 70 show room. That will usually pass as standard.
    I wouldn't consider a haunt that can afford a Unit 70 or Scarefactory showroom as standard, because the ones able to do that are the ones on the top list because they are. I think everyone would love to have the props you see at the Darkness or Netherworld. It's a sign of a truly successful haunt. The ones you hear complaining about haunts with a ton of cool props are the cheesy do it yourself haunts that can't afford to buy the great props. That's why Transworld exist, for people to buy props. They don't have whole conventions based on those guys working out in a garage sculpting their own masks that look like crap because they can't afford CFX ETC.

When I look at haunts like The Darkness, Haunted Hotel, Netherworld and the others on that level I stand back and appreciate that they are the best out there and the ones who complain are just not up to par. If you question why you're not on these lists, whether its free or paid for, you should ask yourself if you are on the level of the Darkness, if not, then you won't be in the lists it's that simple.
    Celebrate those haunters leading the way and the fact that they support industry vendors by being big time buyers every year.

Jake
    Last edited by Deathwing; 07-26-2013 at 08:49 PM.

6. Default well shoot! 
    I'll never amount to anything. I don't have a Scarefactory/Unit 70 showroom. I have a Scarefactory, Distortions, Poision walkway and going to be "Getting me some Gore"! Sorry...couldn't resist.

Wicked Farmer

7. Default Con-gratulations! You just bought into the hype! 
    Stand back in awe of huge amounts of money spent. This has always been a country all about money, hasn't it? We all want more and more of it to prove .. something? to ourselves...?
    My satisfaction from the haunting I do springs from the words , compliments and reactions of the people who are my customers and patrons as they are in absolute awe of how I just scared them with an item that sells nationaly in almost any store for a few mere cents! And I do this over and over again all during the 90 minutes they are under my roof (and under my dirt)
    This style of entertainment not only scares them first but intriegues them secondly which places a marker of the experience within their psyche which will never become obscured as they keep exclaiming to their friends and relatives how amazing this whole experience was.
    When I began I had no money to advertise so I HAD to work extra hard to impress my first few customers, hoping they would indeed be impressed enough to freely promote my house.
    OF my first ten paying customers, one was a Doctor who loves Haunted Houses. This man brought, sent and even paid admission for probably at least a 100 people during my first year open. He did not come here to make a list of the props I had bought at Transworld.(There were none.)
    Late last night a young man brought his new girlfriend here from 1,000 miles away. All she kept saying with every new thing she noticed was "Crazy!" "Crazy!!" "Crazy!!!"
    I finally confessed to her:"I can "sell" "Crazy" very easily (all night long) but "Normal , that would be a much tougher sell (for me).
    I have very little in common with any other haunt as far as I know. I do have a huge number of fans of the show I put on here though, and it didn't come from a book or someone's web site or trade show, maybe that's why it's so "interesting" to so many people?
    But, what do I know? I'm probably all wrong about everything and just highly delusional, awaiting my next dry, haunted wet dream.??

8. Default  
    Why is Dream Reapers on the list since 2012 was their final year? Also, on the site it says 7 Floors of Terror when its name is 7 Floors of Hell. A lot of the videos for America Haunts feature Ryan Dunn of Jackass who's been dead for 2 years. Maybe America Haunts should think about updating the videos on their site.
    Spooky Wishes
    Noah

City Blood: Ohio, Kentucky & Indiana's #1 Haunt Site!

http://www.ohioshaunted.com

9. Default Getting a Dead Guy.. 
    To apear on your videos is quite a coooo!
    Somebody must know some Black Magic to accomplish this?
    Or would such knowledge be found at a Trans World seminar? I betcha!

10. Default  
    Membership and/or mention by any well known association should be difficult to obtain, which, as Ben stated, is what America Haunts is. So part of my question was answered/corrected. Earned, not bought. I had a similar conversation with a few attraction owners at MHC. Whether is America's Haunts or other well known list, my only point has been that reputations should be earned, not bought. That's all
    Like a midget at a urinal, you gotta be on your toes

http://www.wellstownshiphauntedhouse.com

Thread Information