HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: America Haunts 2013 question

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default wicked farmer is getting some gore 
    Wicked,
    I am glad our marketing works.
    "Getcha Some Gore" LOL

and happy to be on the list with Unit 70 and other big names.

2. Default Look Dont Knock Be Happy! 
    Here it is in a nut shell. I could care less about who is on a list or who's not. I mean don't get me wrong when your on one of these and you get to vote yeah it's fun but sadly and the truth of the matter is most of the ones voting are the owners ( yes me too), actors, and staff we all do this and everyone knows I am shooting the shit straight so what they are doing is no different than a list where you vote for yourself. If it gives some attention to the Industry then hey that's GREAT! and if the same ones get all the attention that's GREAT too but as for me I need not to keep up with the Joneses and maybe it's just me but for me it's not about a list it's about the fun you have with your customers and staff, friends and family at the end of the day that's all that matters for me not what X,Y or Z haunt is ranked or how they are ranked.

Hell I have had people say my haunt sucked and I have had them say I was better than NetherWorld! do I think I am? Hell NO! but if someone thinks I am then cool but I rather hear that from them than see my haunt in a group or list I paid to be on! My point is everyone looks at shows and scares all different and I think that holds true to all these list. I been asked to be on different list and pay to be on them but I don't care to spend the money for it I rather have a cool toy. But hey don't knock them because they want to do it it's just part of their advertising .There is NO one stopping ANYONE from starting their own paid list there can be more than one you know! So lets not all get all down and out because the same ones are on there remember they are spending their own money to do it and hey it's their club and their rules if you don't like it start your own! AND LASTLY BEING ON A NATIONAL LEVEL DOES NOTHING FOR ME! I RATHER BE RANKED TOP IN MY AREA BECAUSE AT THE END OF THE DAY THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE HOPPING ON A PLANE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE ON A LIST THAT'S SEEN FUTHER THAN 100 MILES OUT! Now lets chill! Again I have nothing but respect for the ones on that list and many are my friends and I think the world of them but IT'S THEIR LIST! Oh I might add I have been asked more times than I can count to join my local country club and I don't care to do that either lol! Shane and it's guess I am just the odd ball of the bunch as to how I see things!
    Last edited by graystone; 07-27-2013 at 05:44 PM.

3. Default  
    Very Much agreed, Shane. I never looked at it from an advertising angle only that someone was paying for their kid to play quarterback
    Like a midget at a urinal, you gotta be on your toes

http://www.wellstownshiphauntedhouse.com

4. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Very Much agreed, Shane. I never looked at it from an advertising angle only that someone was paying for their kid to play quarterback
    Paying or not you can still look at the list and its the who's who of the top haunts and haunters from coast to coast. Of course not every top haunt can be on the list because if there is already one in Boston for example on the list they probably can't take another even if its great since its marketing. But the point is if you look at the haunts included and look at their individual markets they seem to be the top dogs in their region. It's not like they are just adding anyone out there willing to pay to be included, you HAVE to earn your way on and pay to be included so its deserved.

DA

5. Default "My Kid" 
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    Lives in a rural area. He's somewhat different but nothing has really impeaded his attracting all kinds of free attention, maybe this has happened so many times , because my kid is different?
    A huge number of those who have played with him or even against him have found his style to be quite interesting and even .. fun.
    As a Quarterback, his arm is not overly large or impressively strong, no 100 yard passes coming from this arm, but he will nickle and dime a defence to it's death, picking apart the defense with an unheard of variety of "looks" and tricky formations that often catch the defense reacting to things that are just not even there.
    Will I be paying to get my kid a quarterback spot?
    No. He's doing more than "fine" right where he is. Who knows? Maybe someday his players card will be the most valuable one ever made?
    Rare things can excite many of us, you know.

6. Default  
    Keep in mind it doesn't take a Unit 70 or Scarefactory or any other kind of showroom to have a WORLD CLASS haunted house not at all... whomever says that remember that is why you don't have a WORLD class haunt. The scariest haunts out there are the ones you feel are real and they don't have one fake prop or animation.

Anyone can build a WORLD class haunt if you are creative enough to realize you don't need any animations or any latex props at all... you need great detail work, with natural lighting, and natural style props, but most importantly a great naturally haunted location. I want to build a haunted house with no props from any company you guys will walk through and your jaw will drop...

However I'm a sucker for cool props just like the rest of you I like cool animations and props but that doesn't mean you need them because you DO NOT!

Larry

7. Default Thank you, Larry. 
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    Several of the elderly people I had approached trying to get financing later all told me this house was "Haunted". They also told me to Not buy it.
    People would sometimes see a ghostly woman appear from the Northeast corner of the wine cellar and think she was a special effect!
    I have scared quite a few Haunters who came here, some of them told me that they had never been scared in a "Haunted House"!
    They can't truthfully claim that anymore!
    One young man who was posting here,maybe 13 years ago drove hundreds of miles and went through my house alone. I may have actually scared him right out of this business? He kind of just vanished from everywhere as far as I could tell (without hiring a Private Detective.)
    We have kept the answering machine tape from a man from Florida who is swearing at my front room furniture and then saying it was the Scariest thing that had ever happened to him! (Then he had the rest of the whole house to see!)
    Yesterday my fun came from showing the house to a former classmate of mine. I hadn't seen her in 45? years?
    We used to be Lab Partners and cringe back and forth at one another as we each had personal habits that the other one could not stand!
    I wrote in my school text books. ("Books are Holy!") She doodled all over her hands and arms with a Bic pen! ("Messy!")
    A now local guy a few years behind me in school was bemoaning the loss of one of my text books he had owned, his Mother sold it at a Yard Sale! It was full of goofy, funny stuff that I had added to the pictures and text.

8. Cool  
    I'm not implying that you have to have an animation showroom to prove you're a good haunt. BUT, the good haunts all have the showroom and the sets and actors etc. the best haunts have it all I think. They have the great animations and sets but tons and tons of good actors in good costumes.

Larry you talked about building realistic haunts thats great but is that really what customers want? They know its a haunted house and they know its fake so no matter joe real you make it its not very effective they want that stuff with movies, and scares and cool props in haunted houses. Maybe we should stop trying to be like the movies and more about what people want in a haunted house??

Jake

9. Default  
    I think people want a realistic experience... I think there are some haunts out there that have way to much stuff that pops up, jumps out, and to me anyway the more of that you have the more fake your haunt is. I have bought tons upon tons of animations that DO NOT SCARE YOU that say something, or do something that enhances the room or theme. The actors do the scaring... video fx don't scare anyone, they are merely eye candy, props don't scare anyone they are again eye candy nothing more.

The best haunts will always be the ones that seem the most realistic...

Larry

10. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by drfrightner View Post
    Keep in mind it doesn't take a Unit 70 or Scarefactory or any other kind of showroom to have a WORLD CLASS haunted house not at all... whomever says that remember that is why you don't have a WORLD class haunt. The scariest haunts out there are the ones you feel are real and they don't have one fake prop or animation.

Anyone can build a WORLD class haunt if you are creative enough to realize you don't need any animations or any latex props at all... you need great detail work, with natural lighting, and natural style props, but most importantly a great naturally haunted location. I want to build a haunted house with no props from any company you guys will walk through and your jaw will drop...

However I'm a sucker for cool props just like the rest of you I like cool animations and props but that doesn't mean you need them because you DO NOT!

Larry
    I like this. Yes I use eye candy and biggest baddest elements to give a little wow on all levels. But when it gets the most intense is when you are walking along the 1/4 mile 5 foot wide winding trail throught that rustling corn. That 10 foot tall wall of swaying..... rustling.... living stuff. And Every.....EVERY spot along there can be hiding something or someone. And what did they say about the old burial site for livestock and the guy who shot himself out there in the swamp in 1912. They found him several days later only after the buzzards were circling.

Wicked Farmer
    Last edited by wickedfarmer; 07-30-2013 at 07:13 AM.

Thread Information