HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Hauntcon 2014

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Default Just what i know personally. 
    From talking to you on several occasions Leonard. You probably don't remember me too but. I suggested you bring Hauntcon to Missouri way before Transworld came to St. Louis. You told me point blank that you didn't think any haunts would open for you. I told you I thought Larry and a lot of other haunters would open for you. You missed the boat on that one! And actually I don't agree with Darkangel often but I have to say I agree on the attitude or vibe you have giving me the same feeling of your arrogance and smugness to me and other haunters. From being in your seminars ect. It really turned me off as a haunter. And the fact that your the self proclaimed expert but don't have a running successful haunt is just really sad. Im sorry your magazine and now hauntcon is now nonexistent or changing names or whatever you want to say. Own or ran by other people other than you or partnered or whatever. Good luck w it! But everyone saw it coming eventually! Damon
    www.frightmasters.weebly.com
    Damon Carson

2. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by austind View Post
    Lenard I would have to agree with Larry on quite a few points. He has put post about Hauntcon on here, I do believe that you do over look input from other people, even people that you should be trusting and listening to. ( you own group that put on Hauntcon with you ). As I told you and your wife at MHC that I did not want to go back to TX for the next show and most that attended Dallas that I talked to said the same. ( let me correct that, the ones that did not live in TX.) I think you put on a good show and you really do care about this industry so that is why I came to your defense on here when some people post things just be jerks, but if you were on here more you would have a bit more insight into what people are looking for.

As for you Dark all you need to look back at your post over the last year and see who is negative and has even had his post remove before. I try to be constructive on the forum not destructive. I am not even a Lenard fan and won't go to classes he teaches, but you make statements like you are on the middle school play ground. Please try to conduct your self civility on the forums and not make it personal. And if you do make statement you should let the man know your true identity, that's only fair so he can know when he met yoo And as far as I am I guess I am just a nobody.

Phatman he doesn't need to know my identity what's the fascination with knowing identities around here its a freeking message board not court. I don't post my name and personal info because I simply don't want you to know it its that simple there's no rule forcing us to so why volunteer it it has no effect in my honest opinion so don't ask for my personal info if we are friends you'd know it.

Bottom like I introduced myself to Leonard every time and we spoke a few minutes each. To me he seemed like he wants to do a haunt in VA or knows some haunters here and he seemed like he resented seeing another haunt. But the point is not about my relationship with Leonard or anyone I just think its not going to do well he doesn't have a good track record for success.

DA

3. Default  
    First Larry was saying to Lenard that he should be on the forums more and what happens next, people here just wanted to stir stuff up with him. That does not tell a person that they are welcome to come on here and post. Like I said I do not like Lenard's class myself, but I have talked to many that do, when I want to learn I go to people I trust. I just did a free haunt actors class here and I brought in some of the best in the industry from all around the country to teach it and I paid for everything. That's just the way I am, but I did not go and say that other guys that teach classes are crappy to boost my ego. Everyone has their flaws just like I do, Im sure Larry does and Lenard does, this does not give me the right to point out their flaws without giving the good too. It does this industry no good for anyone to fail on any level and I am hopeful that this will be something that will work for Hauntcon. I feel there are some second tier shows that are surching for a identity and if they don't differentiate themselves from the others they will not be successful. If you notice when I make a critical comment about something I try to back it up with a positive. ( not usually in your case ). I learned this many years ago on here from a friend of mine Allen Hopps, and took it to heart. Sorry If you think that I don't like you but that is not the case, I don't know you, just know the things you say are some times ment to be hurtful to the people you are being critical of and that is not needed here. You have basically bash a young man with special needs on here because you were not sensitive to the others in this forum. I have written this not to hurt you but maybe make you aware of the way you come across sometimes.
    Phatman

4. Default  
    Lets try to stay on topic as opposed to typing in circles. try not to bash or be an ass on purpose.

5. Default  
    Sorry Allen you know me my name really should be ASStin. Are planning on being at Hauntcon next year? I assumed you would because it is in Texas. I know Tater is and Brandon from ScareProps. I have not talked to Shane at Brutal Rust in a few weeks but he is a Texas vendor too so I would think so.
    Phatman

6. Default  
    Stiltbeast studios will have a booth at Hauntcon, I will be on a cruise. I will miss it....a little.

7. Default  
    Is that the Bloody Mary cruise? I think that is the sam weekend. I would have like to have gone on that if I knew what end of the makeup brush to use. The last makeup job I did we were still doing raccoon eyes.
    Phatman

8. Default  
    (the appropriately named) Killen, Alabama
    Easy EASY guys! I mean come on! Btw, I'm not coming on here (surprisingly) to drop my show, but to actually have something to do with the conversation. I know I'm a dropper lol Anyways, why must we all have bad feelings towards each other? I mean seriously? This industry is nothing but politics, it's all about who you know, not about what you do. I've honestly never felt talked-down to by Leonard, however, I've felt very ignored and belittled by two people on this thread that everyone kisses their ass! (Or at least thinks everyone does.) Seriously, this thread began as being where HAuNTCon was going to be at, then turned into a Leonard Bash! Will we please STOP? No wonder I hardly come on this site anymore...
    Owner & Host - Flatline Radio
    "Keeping our fingers on the absent pulse of the Haunt Industry."

flatlineradio.podomatic.com

9. Default  
    Darkangel, It seems as though you let someone, in this case Leonard, discourage you. If that was so long ago, it shouldn't have effected you up until recently. I remember back in 2000 and then in 2001 when I first opened Bennett's Curse I had a conversation with Leonard and because we started out in a mall and had a tiny marketing budget, among other factors he told me I was destined for failure. I used that and other doubters as a motivating factor and now Bennett's Curse is a hugely popular haunt with some of the best characters, theming and sets you'll find anywhere. Use what people say good or bad to motivate you. Leonard has his formula which he stands by, but that doesn't mean it will work for you or anyone else. As for opening in Virginia, why not? Maryland has ever dwelled in the shadow of the powerful Philly market, but that too never intimidated us we continue to grow and attract people from that market every year! If you have a good show, you create your own market where none existed before. Create your own following and grow by improving every year and listening to what your customers want.

10. Default  
    Couple things...

For one this subject is strictly about Hauntcon and the retail show nothing more or less. In sticking to the topic let me be clear that Leonard is more than welcome to come on here and promote that show and inform us as to what is going on with it... Yes I realize it got poked by DA but c'mon that guy does this to everyone. Leonard himself took shots at Transworld last year when he was promoting Hauntcon in mass emails... hence they booted him from attending their show. So Leonard can't cry foul because someone does agree with him, because he doesn't agree with everyone either. I totally disagreed with Transworld not allowing him entry or the ability to buy a booth at their show last year... I for one told them who cares what they mass emailed anyone do you think anyone cares? I told them flat out that was a mistake and right then I saw this Houston show connection coming a MILE AWAY!

Which leads me to this... is this what you think is actually going to be good for your show, or getting back at Transworld, or flat out trying to divide up the haunt industry or what. Because honestly I don't see how you thought even for one second that going back to Houston in January NO LESS was a good thing for Hauntcon. I think maybe this is a move by both parties this Halloween retail show and Hauntcon to try and sabotage Transworld.

Yes Transworld was upset about it, they got upset about the retail show placing ads in our magazine, and yes they are worried about everything for good reason... certain retail industry people helped torpedo the great show that was in Chicago. But as I've told them, as Gore Galore, Ghost Ride, Ben Armstrong, and multiple more have told them here recently... they have nothing what so ever to worry about.

As much as I think a Halloween Retail show would be fun fun fun to visit... I'm not and neither is 99% of the rest of people who own and operate haunted houses. Its so funny when this Transworld Haunt show was starting people screamed they wanted both shows together and now that its haunts only, and they see how great that really is, people feel important, they feel like they belong, and every person there wants to sell to them every single one... that is a feeling you just can't replace.

Haunt owners don't go to IAAPA and they are not going to a Halloween retail show either... Hauntcon if its going to stay a show long term needs to look at a better option, different cities where there are massive amounts of haunt owner within 2 or 3 hour distance, NOT DENVER and do haunt tours by plane to Salt Lake City (STUPID), NOT Houston and do haunt tours by 4 hour bus ride to another city ... GO TO A CITY THAT ACTUALLY HAS TONS OF HAUNTED HOUSES LIKE BOSTON, NEW YORK AREA, PHILLY, GO TO ATLANTA for GOD SAKES! And yes SORRY BABY but Netherworld will totally upstage the event itself get over it... its about haunt tours not the show that is what your show is based on!

This is what will make Hauntcon work not ... Houston.

Again you claim you are listening but I doubt it seriously!

Larry

Thread Information