HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Just starting out - in need of some direction please

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Default Just starting out - in need of some direction please 
    I hope im posting in the right area,

I live in an area of Maine that doesn't have any haunted houses. Does anyone have any ideas or information on how to propose it to the town or any good volunteer places to call up to see if they would be able to contribute on possibly starting one. Has anyone been in this situation before?

Thanks

2. Default  
    I have seen quite a few run by the the local fire departments. Maybe call a few and see if any are interested.

3. Default  
    I was thinking about that but there have been a lot of fires recently and im planing on letting them rest (next year ill try them ) the only plan tho that im going in so far with is for the town hall and "Please can you make a haunted house" and im afraid that's not enough

plus for future reference whats the difference between a professional haunt and amateur haunt?

4. Default  
    IMO- "Pro" refers to how you, the owner, hold yourself.

There are plenty of businesses out there with huge overhead that are most certainly NOT PRO.

So forget the titles think about what you want to do. Do you want to express you inner haunt freak to the world or do you want to start and build a business?

Getting your head around the challenges that face you on either path you choose is EXTREMELY important to coming out the other side in as good or better shape than when you entered...
    How can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temple of his gods.

What you put into your mind- you put into your life.

www.zombietoxin.com

5. Default  
    A really good eye opener would be to go to the Fire Marshal and City Inspections Dept with your ideas and see what the requirements will be. You will know a LOT more after those conversations.
    How can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temple of his gods.

What you put into your mind- you put into your life.

www.zombietoxin.com

6. Default Exactly! 
    Well put. No matter how you participate in the industry the key is to act professionally while doing it.
    Be it an actor, parking, ticket booth, owner, or anything else. A well organized and effectively operated attraction that works hard to make sure it's guests are entertained should be the goal whatever your role may be.
    Maybe you could start a home haunt to find out how the Maine residents respond.
    Search the forum - there are many threads on 'pro' haunts and things to be considered when opening an attraction to the public. Good luck!

7. Default  
    Personally? I'd consider a charity haunt to get up and rolling. Just my opinion. Charity haunts don't mean you can't have a stipend that you use to survive, and if you want to partner with public figures and make an impact on a town, that's the way to really drive it home.

Not saying a profit haunt won't work, but you'd have less support from public figures, etc. in my opinion.

Glad you're being smart about this and starting now. I might do as Allen suggested: start a small one or two day trail, maybe even tie it in with the area's trick-or-treat times and days. Start a Facebook page, a website, advertise with local businesses, maybe if your area has a Halloween parade work with someone who is building a float and hang banners and a location up in exchange for a little cash? Who knows. As many have said already, professionalism lies on the person who is pursuing the dream. I may not always be liked, but I try my hardest to be professional with all of the haunts that I have worked with/for. And you should do the same.

You need to inspire the locals, or at least entertain them. Have them bring two canned goods and 5 bucks for a 10-15 minute trail. Give it all to the local foodbank, etc? Just an idea. Many people are easier to part with a donation when they know its going to a good cause and they get something out of it. In this case the "something" may be them peeing themselves. Who knows?

Some may disagree with me, but I really do know that if I can ever find the TIME after my degrees to start a haunt, I have been heavily considering not for profit. Would love to better the industry and the community....

Just my two cents.

Good luck!

8. Default  
    As many times as the "How do I get started?" question has been asked, maybe one of the moderators could add a sticky thread to the top of the forum?? Then we could refer new people to that thread, and keep it going with everyone's great ideas?

9. Default  
    So here we go, I am a home haunter and have been for over 10 years now. I haunt on Halloween and only Halloween, but like most I have dreams of haunting at a little bit bigger level.

I once tried approaching the local city officials to see if they would allow me to use some of their wooded trail to start haunting. I sat down with the parks director and told him what I wanted to do and I was basically laughed at. So they have left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I have also managed to haunt as a commercial haunt with a local farm business who knew nothing about haunting and then got stomped on, so they too have left a bitter taste in my mouth.

And I have been looking for a charity or non profit to work with, but so far I have not been able to locate one that was willing to help or get their fingers dirty.

BUT I DO KNOW IT'S POSSIBLE so like me don't give up!!!

Mr. Haunt

10. Default  
    i find urban areas much friendlier to haunters then rural or suburban areas

Thread Information