HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Just starting out - in need of some direction please

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Just starting out - in need of some direction please 
    I hope im posting in the right area,

I live in an area of Maine that doesn't have any haunted houses. Does anyone have any ideas or information on how to propose it to the town or any good volunteer places to call up to see if they would be able to contribute on possibly starting one. Has anyone been in this situation before?

Thanks

2. Default  
    I have seen quite a few run by the the local fire departments. Maybe call a few and see if any are interested.

3. Default  
    I was thinking about that but there have been a lot of fires recently and im planing on letting them rest (next year ill try them ) the only plan tho that im going in so far with is for the town hall and "Please can you make a haunted house" and im afraid that's not enough

plus for future reference whats the difference between a professional haunt and amateur haunt?

4. Default  
    IMO- "Pro" refers to how you, the owner, hold yourself.

There are plenty of businesses out there with huge overhead that are most certainly NOT PRO.

So forget the titles think about what you want to do. Do you want to express you inner haunt freak to the world or do you want to start and build a business?

Getting your head around the challenges that face you on either path you choose is EXTREMELY important to coming out the other side in as good or better shape than when you entered...
    How can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temple of his gods.

What you put into your mind- you put into your life.

www.zombietoxin.com

5. Default  
    A really good eye opener would be to go to the Fire Marshal and City Inspections Dept with your ideas and see what the requirements will be. You will know a LOT more after those conversations.
    How can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temple of his gods.

What you put into your mind- you put into your life.

www.zombietoxin.com

6. Default Exactly! 
    Well put. No matter how you participate in the industry the key is to act professionally while doing it.
    Be it an actor, parking, ticket booth, owner, or anything else. A well organized and effectively operated attraction that works hard to make sure it's guests are entertained should be the goal whatever your role may be.
    Maybe you could start a home haunt to find out how the Maine residents respond.
    Search the forum - there are many threads on 'pro' haunts and things to be considered when opening an attraction to the public. Good luck!

7. Default  
    I live in a one bedroom apartment, its nice and cozy with an office that i can put these crazy ideas together (more of a animation / audio studio) , but not much more, I'm stuck at the part of making a choice, to be honest I would love to make my own business, but I'm too far from it and I think that there needs (or should) be something in the area first. Kinda test the waters and then jump in when my feet are at the right temperature. I figure on getting people into it first. Compared to where I live there are a lot more people on a "fixed income" and I personally don't have the money to start anything up at the moment besides getting other people interested and involved. I would love to be a ground breaker , but I doubt that's feasible right now. So I'm going the approach of starting to sit in on town hall meetings , asking the fire department for next year, and the police athletic league. That's about as far as Ive gotten. I'm not that really good around authority people. That's why I'm asking for help because I know I need my act together going in the game. not be "umming and uhhhhing" kinda deal.

Thank you for your ideas and your help

8. Default  
    Maybe check with some area churches and see if they are interested in a fund raising haunted house?

9. Default  
    Most of the people on this forum, myself included, would recommend Kelly Allen's book. Here is the link: http://www.hauntbook.com/entrepreneur.html

Also, you might want to check out Allen Hopps' website for educational offerings. Here is the link: http://stiltbeaststudios.com/
    Last edited by horrorman666; 08-08-2013 at 04:30 PM.

10. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by horrorman666 View Post
    Most of the people on this forum, myself included, would recommend Kelly Allen's book. Here is the link: http://www.hauntbook.com/entrepreneur.html

Also, you might want to check out Allen Hopps' website for educational offerings. Here is the link: http://stiltbeaststudios.com/
    ^ What he said. Both wonderful resources for information! Also check out Allen's YouTube Channel for tons of helping how-to's for props, costumes, and everything in between.

Thread Information