HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

View Poll Results: Do you want digital versions of haunt magazines?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I only want digital versions of haunt magazines.

8 9.41%
  • I want digital AND printed versions of haunt magazines

19 22.35%
  • I only want printed versions of haunt magazines

57 67.06%
  • I do not read haunt magazines

1 1.18%

Thread: Do you want digital versions of haunt magazines?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Default I am sent several online newsletters etc now 
    The only one I skim through is when i am looking to buy a $15,000 to $150,000 piece of farm equipment and quickly scan the ad listings of used equipment for sale from farmers...not dealers. And that is only because it lets me get the jump on other farmers who avg. age is over retirement age and do not do that damn computer thing.

Wicked Farmer

2. Default  
    I think both is the best way to go and offer it as a combo sub. People don't mind paying for it, but would like the convenience of having their whole library of content on their tablet. Its much easier to be at a meeting and pull something up on a tablet than to lug around a dozen magazines.

As for the "anyone can do it" argument, I think it's weak at best. Allen does online videos, and I subscribe to him. People are going to go where the content is the best. So if your content is the best, as you say it is, people will still prefer you over other publications. I don't subscribe to just anyone who posts tutorials online as I know that Allen has the some of the most relevant and knowledgable videos on YouTube.

Comic books normally add a code in their printed books to get a digital copy of the book as well. I think that is the BEST way to offer your content.

3. Default  
    For the record, I'd like to see the magazine available in both physical and digital formats. Even if every subscriber has to continue to receive a paper copy, at least I could recycle the paper version when I was done reading it, and still have the digital copy for long-term archival purposes. This is just my opinion. It's Larry's magazine, and he will do with it what he pleases. The point of the poll was to find out if other people are interested in digital copies, like I am. Judging by the fact that the "digital only" and "digital and print" options on the poll currently have twice as many votes as "print only", I can see clearly that I am not the only one.
    Last edited by Dark Tiki Studios; 08-14-2013 at 10:07 AM.

4. Default  
    Won't somebody think of the trees?!?!?!?!?!?

5. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen H View Post
    It seems like half (or more) of Hauntworld magazine now is provided pics and generic write ups of haunts. I can get most of that from their website (even the pics).
    Since the topic of content has been raised, I totally believe that the magazine has GREAT business-related information in it! But because that information is so great, I also agree that I'd like to see MORE of that kind of information, and less haunt reviews. Unless a haunt is doing something interesting in terms of business (like Spookywoods' day-time attractions, or Headless Horseman's multiple themed gift shops), I can read about their haunt at their website. Not only can we read about the haunts online, but we've seen multiple reviews of the same haunts in different issues of the magazine over the years, even though there are literally thousands of haunts out there to review. If you must keep 2/3 of the magazine's content as haunt reviews, there isn't really a reason to review the same haunts in multiple issues, until you've gone through all of the thousands of haunts available to review at least once each, right?

6. Default  
    Tiki I like that we see other haunts but most are big haunts, these are great to read about but I would love to hear about a small haunt that is doing a top notch job or a up and comming vendor. I think Larry puts out a high quality publication and I know that some of the content is being done by outside people like Allen in the Blood article, but I would like to see a little more diversity. And maybe that mean I should go out an pursue that and write a article for the magazine. That brings me to my next question is do you ask people to write for you or do they come to you with a article idea.
    Phatman

7. Default  
    Couple quick thoughts... WE just found out today one of the haunts who was featured 'Dead End Hayride' was contacted by Travel Channel today. They saw the magazine because we send them a subscription, which led to this haunt getting a phone call about a possible national TV show appearance. I'm just telling you a fact here that many of the featured haunts magazine/web have been called, featured, or everything else on shows from weather channel to the travel channel and between.

I get calls also and refer them to these haunts... but in this case they got the printed magazine saw it and called the haunt. So there is some real value to be featured not to mention building up your industry awareness.

I'm happy for Dead End Hayride and all the other featured haunts in the printed magazine. Larry

8. Default  
    I don't know about anyone else but I still get that feeling of excitement when I open the mailbox and see that there is a Haunt World magazine in there. I doubt I would feel the same pulling something up digitally. I work in the print industry so I like the smell of ink I like holding the thing in my hand and thumbing through it. Most of my Haunt World magazines are trashed from looking at them so much and showing other people different things. I have the last one with the 13th gate article on making mausoleums at the haunt location right now because we are using the info to make ours for this year. Putting out a printed magazine is extremely difficult and expensive. But I believe like Larry said that is what makes it special. I wouldn't mind a digital copy also but I doubt I would ever even look at it.
    Eric

9. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by elowther View Post
    I don't know about anyone else but I still get that feeling of excitement when I open the mailbox and see that there is a Haunt World magazine in there. I doubt I would feel the same pulling something up digitally. I work in the print industry so I like the smell of ink I like holding the thing in my hand and thumbing through it. Most of my Haunt World magazines are trashed from looking at them so much and showing other people different things. I have the last one with the 13th gate article on making mausoleums at the haunt location right now because we are using the info to make ours for this year. Putting out a printed magazine is extremely difficult and expensive. But I believe like Larry said that is what makes it special. I wouldn't mind a digital copy also but I doubt I would ever even look at it.
    Eric
    ...a lot of mine are trashed from overuse as well...that DOESN'T sound good to me. It would come down to purchasing two copies in print...OR I can have my collectors hardcopy and a digital reference that doesn't suffer from the same constant thumbing...accidental...liquid damage...tearing...LIFE...
    O'Shawn McClendon
    Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

10. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by elowther View Post
    Most of my Haunt World magazines are trashed from looking at them so much and showing other people different things.
    Good point! A digital version wouldn't get "trashed".

Thread Information