HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Gonaa take the plunge

1. Default Gonaa take the plunge 
    Well I've been doing the home haunt thing since 96, and I always wanted to make it into a business, well I moved to NC and a guy at my job who just finished his 4 year in business wants to open one with me. Were currently running numbers etc to see what we will need to start up. Anyway the good thing is that Im in a city where there are LOTS of old buildings that are empty to include an old sears building, a school, and lots of warehouses so I dont think finding a inside location would be a problem.
    I just want some opinions on experiences for the first year. Are there any real bad horror stories about losses? Do you guys do small business loans? Also is it recommended to a outside haunt (like a trail and a maze under a tent) or is it better to go right for the inside one? I'm just curious on what you guys who have already made it think. If there is anything that you would of done differently your first year I would love to know! Thaks.
    Its not who you are or what you do that makes you important, its what you do for others that does.

2. Default  
    Regarding inside our outside, I guess it depends on the weather in your area. Does it snow or rain a lot in Oct? Personally I like the haunts that have a combo of the two, some inside some outside. Tent haunts can be a good middle of the road, as long as snow is not an factor.
    I think getting the right people to help build and act in the haunt is the hardest part, they can make or break a show. Also you have the question about paying them or having them volunteer, both have +'s & -'s...

3. Default  
    Hey Fright Yard, pick up a copy of Kelly Allens(Raycliff Manor) book,....... So you want to be a haunt enterpinuer. One of the best books in the industry I think!

4. Default  
    DITTO ON ANUBUS
    http://www.myspace.com/joedog158
    Personal MySpace

My Mottos:
    When in doubt, get the hell out - Jason Hawes

Of all the things I have taught you, remember this:
    If you see me running, KEEP UP! - Joe Dog

5. Default  
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    I am not the smartest person in this world, But, I strongly recommend against having your tent haunt set up in the middle of the road.
    Your just asking for it!
    I have mostly an indoor haunt with an outdoor portion that can be curcumvented with the opening and closing of two doors, eliminating the outdoor part if the weather turns nasty, then they are only outside for about 8 feet, just enough to get them slightly damp, not wet, not too excited.

6. Default  
    What's wrong with being wet and excited? :roll:

7. Default  
    Well as far as making and breaking you for your first year could be the indoor/outdoor question. Price wise, outdoor could be a fair amount cheaper. But, if it raines the night before halloween(which it has in my area), you can kiss your Oct. 31st. sales goodbye.

8. Default  
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    Oct. 31st, itself has never been that busy of a night for us, whereas the Saturday night before Halloween is THE busiest night of the season.
    If you had to lose a night , I'd pick Oct. 31st over those other night$.

What's wrong with having the customers "Wet & Excited"? Here's what's wrong with this happening, the tour is only half over at that point, I still have to be with them, smell them (if "wet" has that wet-dog effect upon some of them)

Thread Information