HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Biggest Haunt Pet Peeve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Biggest Haunt Pet Peeve 
    Hey there everyone!

Im curious. What is your biggest pet peeve in relation to actors or the haunt industry? Something that really grinds your gears?

Note: This thread isnt meant to be against anyone or a company in particular. Stories are fine, but no names should be used.

One of my many pet peeves? Hearing the same thing, over and over and over again. At my old haunt, we had a circus theme one year in one of our three changing haunts. I cant tell you how many times I just heard maniacal laughter, or characters making a reference to Bozo the clown. Really guys?
    Last edited by Sarge; 09-15-2013 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Clarification
    "If I ever hear , "Boo", "Hiss", or "Roar", I will personally kick you in the pants."

2. Default  
    Cliched characters, animatronics that are hokey, obviously fake or just plain broken, costumes that look like they came in a plastic bag from a costume store and parts of an attraction where you can see the "outside world", those parts break the fourth-wall.

3. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpaste View Post
    Cliched characters, animatronics that are hokey, obviously fake or just plain broken, costumes that look like they came in a plastic bag from a costume store and parts of an attraction where you can see the "outside world", those parts break the fourth-wall.
    Yes. All of this. Particularly the costume thing. I understand that times are hard and everyone has different ideas for characters. But when I see a veteran actor in a costume for Halloween Express, I get the shivers.
    "If I ever hear , "Boo", "Hiss", or "Roar", I will personally kick you in the pants."

4. Default  
    Bad makeup is one of my biggest pet peeves. Bad gore makeup is *alright* if the actor is in a dark part of a haunt, but I have only ever seen bad makeup in the best lit parts of haunts. I don't know why.

Another thing that bothers me is when the soundtrack/background music/sound effects are so loud that the actor has to practically shout in your ear to pull off the scare. Background music and sound effects are fine, but they shouldn't be so loud that you can't hear yourself think when you're a patron. If the patrons are getting headaches from being in there for 10 minutes, then imagine how the actors are feeling from being in there for hours on end.
    "We throw tantrums like parties/We're not happy 'til everyone knows we're sick/And that's just how we like it " ~ Icon For Hire

“Believe only half of what you see and nothing that you hear.” ~ Edgar Allen Poe

5. Angry Cellphones 
    I can't speak as an operator (yet) but as a customer one of mine is cellphones. I HATE!!! with a passion how often I see other customers bouncing around a haunt either talking, texting, taking pictures (which if warranted I can understand), or using it as a flash light. I feel horrible for the actors in some of these places being stuck in a low light or worse dark room and have a bunch of breeders come bounding up and blast them in the face with it. Hell I get a headache from all the light and I only experience it for a short period of time.

It just amazes me how inconsiderate and self righteous they get when taken to task about this too. I remember one haunt (can't remember the name) a few years ago were one of the staff asked a couple of kids to refrain from using the light as it blinded the actors and they (the kids) not only started flashing him with their phones but got no end of laughter out of this. I honestly had to almost walk out of the haunt because I didn't want to end up turning the group into a real life horror show.

6. Default Biggest Haunt Pet Peeve 
    I don't like to complain. But I need to say the worst thing I have experienced recently is the reusing of 3D glasses. I won't put those on my face if they were on someone else's. I would like to see these cleaned and then reused. Can you imagine how many heads those go on in one season? Or worse, they are being reused from previous years. I won't have a 3D haunt until next year (fingers crossed) but when/if I do I will need to find a way to clean those glasses so they can be worn over and over again.
    RIP

~The Imagineer~

Andrew de Ruiter

Download part 1 of Andrew's Black Book of ideas for haunts here:
    http://www.epubbud.com/book.php?g=EGQDK8HZ

7. Default  
    Free roaming actors that trail groups through the entire haunt. If I'm having to stand in a dark closet and time when I come out a clingy actor ruins it for everyone. Many times the patrons are already pissed at not being left alone if the actor is obnoxious enough not only slowing everything down, but raising the chance of an actor to end up getting hit. Roaming actors have their place in dead spots and mazes, but they just kind of clutter up room to room areas.

8. Default  
    When I put on an actor's workshop, I tell the owners that it is my duty to eliminate the phrases "Boo", "Get Out" and unless it's a butcher shop or cannibal theme, "Fresh Meat". I have been in haunts where I have heard "Get out" 5 rooms in a row. It gets very old very fast. Without fail, the owners I work with have agreed to make it a firing offense.

Another thing I don't necessarily like are actors who simply get in your face without making a sound and then don't move away. Silent characters have their place but you need to know when to reset or move along. This goes for all actors, do your scare and then reset.

9. Default  
    I believe Actors should create a character that is influenced by the theme of the Haunt. I really don't feel like visiting the "Evil Clown Circus" and listening to a SteamPunk Scientist or a Renaissance Pirate.

Cosplay is at its all time high in popularity and I feel some Actors are so full of themselves they preform for themselves and not the Haunt.

10. Default  
    Hollister,Gap,Tapout, shirts really? I don't care if you have small tears or fake blood drenched all over this is just lame !

Ok one more, Kids playing roles that are meant for Adults. Nobody is afraid of a 4'9 kid with a werewolf mask and of course a Hollister T-shirt...

Thread Information