HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: What an fool... Naked Haunted House Offered

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
  1. Default  
    All the bad PR---that's right, Scary Spice saying she'll walk naked through your haunt, that's bad PR, exactly. Right? Right..........

are those crickets.........................................?

When was the last time any of our haunts was mentioned on the Today Show? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

2. Default The guy who owns the place is a genius 
    Larry, you're missing the whole idea here. He wanted to get cancelled !!!!! Still...........look at all the free press he got out of it, by doing nothing !!!!!! Great move !!!!!! He knew it would never fly, and milked it to the max !!!! What a move !!!!!! Literally thousands and thousands of dollars in free press on major tv news at 4,430, 5, 530,and 6 pm and in the mornings as well for at least 2 days heavy rotation !!!!!! Good move, man !!!!! Have a great season and thanks for the groupon discounts, shocktoberfest !!!!!!

3. Default Tater................... 
    And his women !!!!! Were going to attend the naked haunt party, but now he/she will be dissapointed !!!!!

4. Default  
    I think you are missing my point... and again this has nothing to do with this haunt or any other. He didn't want it to get cancelled. All the PR is about the naked haunt nothing else... now its cancelled. So now you think whomever you mentioned is flying out there? No! All the PR they got was negated by the negative... now the city officials are all over him and on the radar. My main point was you don't want to bring unwanted attention upon yourself if it brings your city officials into your business. They can flat out put you out of business in seconds.

The PR he got was for a gimmick which is now cancelled.

It won't help his business. What would help any of our business is if we tried some gimmick that actually involved something along the lines that its so scary no one can go through until after blank blank or its so intense you have to agree to xyz waiver or you go alone or must be accompanied by a parent, all things that have been done before... but when you come up with a gimmick that gets you national PR for that then your business will skyrocket! A naked haunt NO WAY!

Larry

5. Default  
    Seriously, anyone who defends this as great since he got on the news is a fool. You sound like it doesn't matter if its good or bad pr as long as you get pr and make the news it doesn't matter. No accountability or care for portraying a positive example and a professional for the industry is reckless and a black eye to you other haunt owners. Defending him makes you like just as low brow and classless as him. Again if you have a choice for positive pr or negative pr and you choose negative, then you are a classless fool as well as anyone who doesn't see it for whatnot is is as well. You should want more for this industry than this bottom feeder mentality stuff don't ask to be taken seriously on one hand and them think this was good on the other you don't deserve respect then.

DA

6. Default  
    WOW... DA I totally agree with 110%. And I'll go on record to say the people who tried to turn this around as I'm bashing are the people who are the true fools because they should look at each issue with fresh eyes and discuss the merits on an issue by issue case not what someone might have said 10 years ago. We were dead on right... and I didn't see one guy who slammed me for example run out and do their own naked haunted house.

I will admit one thing... I've been running haunted houses for 25 years now. My attendance has been on the decline for three years now. I can admit it... I'm a big boy. Yes I can pin you in a corner but I can also shine the light on myself as well. I've been doing a lot of thnking the last couple of about what I can do different... I've come up a lot of options. We can and will discuss them after Halloween... but one thing I can tell is a naked haunt isn't one of them.

I need to do things different me myself, I need a new spin on something we've been doing more or less the same for 20 years... yes we change the haunt probably more than anyone in the country. Yes our haunts are eye popping awesomeness... but that I don't think will cut it anymore we need something else. I think Pats haunt has been losing business as well over the ... he needed something drastic maybe but a naked haunt isn't it.

We need to figure out things we can do as an industry that shakes up what we because our ticket prices are just too high now... I have some solutions but again doing something crude em.

Larry

7. Default  
    How's Pat's attendance? Up or down over this? If it's up, well then. If it's the same, then nothing lost. The only way this works out bad is if it's down.

And they're talking about the naked aspect instead of what? The butcher/kitchen scene that nearly everyone has? The scary clowns that wander through nearly every haunt there is? The ubiquitous chainsaw? Ooh, I know, the three-d fluorescent maze!!! I only see that everywhere. And you can go on and on--inbred rednecks, temples, tombs and crypts, puking animatronics, hanging body bag mazes--and squirting water. The list is endless.

If they really started talking about what was in the attractions they'd come very quickly to the astounding homogeneity of the haunt experience--and we sure as hell don't want that.

Even the TV shows try to avoid making it too apparent that all three great haunts they're showing you are frighteningly similar.

And they're similar because these are the things that frighten people--there's no laziness in us, there's just a limited amount of phobias that are broad enough that they can be played out in a haunt setting. So we work on getting better with what we do more than we work on finding new things--because new things are always chancy.

Worse, when a new thing works, it spreads through the industry like wildfire, so you get maybe a season of it all to yourself.

But what Pat did, no one's gonna copy. We're not gonna see a rash of 'naked and scared houses'. It's either a one-off or, if it does bring his attendance up, something he'll have all to himself for at least a couple of years

Is that good PR?

What IS good PR? I know what REAL bad PR is. REAL bad PR is people coming out of your haunt and calling it lame--for whatever reason, crappy makeup, bad acting, not scary. That's REAL bad PR.

But what's good PR? People coming out terrified? People using chicken exits? People pissing or crapping themselves? A bit back, one of our actors had an incident, he had to be taken out via ambulance. The EMTs thought his makeup was part of the incident--that he had some virulent infection and took all sorts of precautions before even touching him. After finding out they talked about it--and even deliberately used his makeup to pull the same gag on some of their co-workers after he was stable. They STILL talk about it. That's good PR.

Pretty much all of our good PR revolves around horrible things. 'Family friendly' is the kiss of death(unless that was your goal).

That's not bottom-feeding.

Being a conscientious neighbor, upstanding in one's business dealings, these are all good, but they're not PR. They don't bring customers in the door. Pushing our haunts to just shy of where the community is up in arms--THAT brings people in the door. And that is where we thrive.

8. Default  
    I guess this naked thing was good PR cuz he's got all of you talking about it.

9. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by HauntedPaws View Post
    I guess this naked thing was good PR cuz he's got all of you talking about it.
    Nope! We're not customers we are haunters of course it's a topic we will be interested in due cussing even if not one source if media picked it up we'd still debate it because we're in the business. In other words, we're not the media so your point is invalid.

I've watched thus thread from afar. But Larry is right this is not a positive thing at all.

Jake

10. Default  
    No...it IS what EVERYONE is talking about. The mass media in this country has covered this story all over. Shocktoberfest seems to be the ONLY haunted house ANYONE in the media is talking about it. So, it's working.

-Tyler
    http://www.hauntdesignkit.com
    >Download free Google SketchUp collections made just for haunt owners and designers.

Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/HauntDesignKit

Thread Information