HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: It Hurts to alwasy be right but...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default All zombies... 
    Who knows what they will be on next year. But guaranteed they will be walking around like zombies with head down and fingers hitting keys on their gadgets.

Wicked Farmer

2. Default  
    I don't use Instagram to promote a product, but I do use it to sell products (non haunt related) and have been fairly successful for the small amount of energy I put into it. There are actually tons of people out there using it as a marketplace to meet up with buyers. I follow a few haunt related companies, but they seem to post very sporadically & are typically just a shot of an actor or something like that, with no real promotion behind it.
    As far as I know, ads on IG are still rolling out & aren't publicly in people's feeds yet.

Things that I've seen others do that seem help: post relevant & interesting content, use relevant tags in your posts (a lot of people don't for some reason), find user posts that use the same tags as you & like their photos, find & follow people in your area that are in the demo you are after (there's not really a way to narrow results by location though). I've seen many brands also have contests where they create an image & ask them to repost it with a specific tag like #nameofyourhauntedhousecontent for free tickets/another prize. Users then repost the image to their entire feed which gets you exposure to their entire follower list.

3. Default  
    Now this is a great discussion and I hope it continues... and for the record I know some say I think I know it all or I think I'm always right so the topic header is a joke against myself just FYI! I hope it grabbed your attention and we can have a healthy discussion about what in the social media world actually works.

Here is a post I put out to some friends today...

Twitter is a waste of time because unless you can get people to follow your tweets and that is next to impossible to do then it’s a waste... you take Scarehouse for example someone who has maximized the potential of Twitter more so than anyone else in the industry and he can't get followers either. . He’s made 14,896 tweets now lets compare that to Netherworld only making 214 Tweets big difference... Scarehouse only has 487 following and 4676 Followers. Netheworld has 1900 something followers and only 200 or so following. Isn’t it a waste of time to to post to twitter 14,000 plus times and all you get for it is that low number of following? It shows no matter how much time and energy you put into something it really doesn’t pay you back for the effort you put into it. FYI... the point here is that even when you do EVERYTHING RIGHT as Scarehouse has done you can't get followers like a High School Basketball Player to a Pro Football Player.

With Twitter I can show you 200 examples of a high school basketball player who has 50 times more following him because sports fans want to know or get clues where he might decide to play basketball same with football. His tweets are followed by colleges sites who recruit him they join his twtter to encourage him to come to whatever school.

Twitter is the way sports stars or celebs communicate with the media... nothing more. Twitter is 110% more useless than Facebook because unless you are a sports star or movie/tv star no one follows you. Twitter might also be seen as a new fad because that is all the sports stars and celebs that I mention use now... its all that the news talks about or ESPN talks about.

If a celeb or sports star wants to apologize they use twitter if they stir the pot its through twitter... twitter is the only thing people talk about. But I think kids now only care about instagram.

Larry

4. Default  
    When it comes to social media now most of it is connected so you can post across all at once. Twitter, facebook, tumblr, wordpress, and pintrest. Utilize it all.
    Proud to be able to work at
    http://www.haunted-hollow.com/

5. Default  
    Its hard to do what you suggested because it gobbles up a lot of time... rather than working on your haunt, working at your haunt, or doing interviews, or even making new youtube videos you are posting away 50 times a day to these things and you really don't know if anyone cares or is actually reading what you say.

To spend that kind of time on social media you need to know it works... twitter does NOT work at all not even a little for a haunted house. Facebook works on a limited level but if falling... there are so many out there and new ones everyday. Its becoming like your life is consumed by it...

I'll throw out an interesting idea I had...

The St Cardinals in the World Series, The Rams playing on Monday football there are 30,000 cars and 100,000 people 2 miles from my haunt... instead of screwing around with all this stupid social media stuff, I could have had flyers and an army of people to do it the old fashion way. I could have put my time and money into some kind of cool promotional vehicle that grabs attention and hand out flyers. For the money you spend with facebook or time you spend you could actually attend parades, fairs, and sporting events in force!

Larry

6. Default  
    Not disagreeing with the statistics you posted.
    But you are looking at social media in a vacuum.

End of the day Google will drive most of your haunts traffic, with the highest percentage of that traffic coming from organic rankings on google. SEO is extremely important for haunts.
    So with that being said in 2013 and moving into 2014, google and SEO studies have shown that Social Media is becoming one of the biggest factors that affect SEO moving forward. Tweets of a certain url, faceook fans of a business linked to a url, google plus followers and G+'s on a url, twitter followers of a twitter account linked to a url, number of shares on facebook that a url receives, ect ect. Google and search engines are putting a huge focus on the websites that are doing a COMPLETE online marketing program, or doing everything right, not just writing good articles or changing some keywords. Now this means that your social media stategy should be much different than most people are doing, so if you are sitting there updating your facebook status over and over and wondering why your rankings are raising in google its because it isn't that easy.
    Larry is correct, don't drop all your marketing and think sitting on facebook all day is an alternative. However their is much more too this whole online marketing formula than simply dropping one aspect because it doesn't show that it drives ticket sales directly. Everything works together and is a piece of a bigger puzzles, and SEO is just one of those other areas that active and powerful social media accounts help.
    Owner of The Fear Experience Haunted House in Cleveland, Ohio, voted the #1 haunted house in Ohio, and #14 in America by Funtober. The Fear Experience Haunted House was called the premier haunted attraction in northeast ohio by cleveland.com and #1 in cleveland by metromix.

7. Default  
    I have just been learning about SEO and how to get our website higher on the google search results. Right now if you google The Twisted Forest, the first two results are our Facebook page and then our Hauntworld profile. Those 2 didn't take any work on our part to get to the top and they've been at the top for a while. Now, in our 4th year, finally, our website is starting to show up. I think the SEO checklist on Godaddy had a lot to do with this! That checklist added more aspects to our online marketing just like Undertaker313 is talking about.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

8. Default  
    Just hit em all with something like hootsuite . Set up your campaign for the week or whatever and one click your done.???

9. Default  
    I have to say with a BIG smile on my face that FINALLY someone can actually put up a good point about something without being nasty about it... I take that comment about Twitter as a disagreement with me while at the same time you get a good point back. I love this... hit me with some more I'd love to feel like an idiot about anything that means when I'm pretty sure about something I learn I'm not... that is the point of the forums. If someone puts out a good point back it up but when you disagree make a counter point that is productive. This is great....

Love the post!

SEO is something most haunters don't know much about this I know because I see their websites. I would totally agree that haunters should learn more about SEO its 110 times more important to their business than all social media combined. However my biggest issue with social media is that there is too much of it and everything is watered down people only have so much time in a day!

Larry

10. Default  
    Larry social media when thought of as an SEO tool and a syndication tool for content is very easy. I have tools inside my website that we install so that when an article gets posted it automatically gets posted on over 50 social media profiles. This type of stuff is easy to do, and helps a lot. I actually had a system using google plus and social media accounts that could get an article to ranking on google in a matter of minutes , it is pretty slick.

As for it being too time consuming there are lots of tools and tracking software out there now that streamline it down to a quick glance a day is all it takes. I kept an eye on people tweeting about our competitors this season and sent them links to our website with a discount coupons and won over hundreds maybe even thousands of customers. There is much more to this whole social media thing than spending all day updating your accounts and responding to every single notification.
    Owner of The Fear Experience Haunted House in Cleveland, Ohio, voted the #1 haunted house in Ohio, and #14 in America by Funtober. The Fear Experience Haunted House was called the premier haunted attraction in northeast ohio by cleveland.com and #1 in cleveland by metromix.

Thread Information