HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Darkness Haunted House Transworld Haunt Tour 2014 - Renovation Thread

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
  1. Default  
    I know for a fact your haunt will look phenomenal, it does every year. But will it be SCARIER this year? I think you need to take people out of the scenery and create the sense of dread, that feeling in the pit of your stomach when you know something scary is coming around the next corner. I've seen jaw dropping sets and the only scare is a guy popping out a crack in the wall, just want a bigger scare impact.

Are you adding more scares to your beautiful sets?

Can't wait to see it, I'll be there.

Jake

2. Default  
    Good questions... let me try to give you good answers. For one our main focus as it is EVERY SINGLE year is to focus on the detail, new room concepts, new props, new ways to do things not actors... every single time we do one of these renovations it comes right down to the wire like a reality show. We hardly have time to get to know the news sets, animations or anything we are more or less seeing them for the first time just like you if you want to know the truth.

So with that being said this year is a bit different... all the animations and all the FX we've built we are trying to make the haunt MORE INTERACTIVE. Gore Galore has helped us bring some idea's we had to reality such as the venus fly trap that swallows you yes its going to touch you. We wanted to build some giant puppet monsters that grab you and bite you... yes they will do that as well. The sawzilla room is going to be really over the top the giant saw blade whipping across your face I hope will be scary... we have also built some really clever actor scares places for actors to hide that we didn't do before. We also have a couple animations that are going to be so CLOSE I think its going to scare you... they will JUMP right at you and over your head... you'll see.

We also ordered over 100 new costumes and they are awesome plus we've bought roughly 50 or so new Silicone masks just for this event... so yeah we are trying HARD to make it scarier. But lets be honest for a second... haunted house owners are always going to be a tough scare always so that is why we focus so hard on the amazing detail, and over the top FX ... each year we've done something over the top from the swamp house, ice scream truck, falling wall of barrels and this year we are doing an actor wheelchair gag that is going to be awesome.

SO yes this time around we are trying but at the same time there will be little time to work with actors to fine tune the screams but we've enhanced it to a whole new level.

I think you will agree this time around its SO FAR OVER THE TOP you won't believe what has been done... you will scratch your head and wonder how it could have even been done its that detailed.

Larry

3. Default  
    Here are some more pics... I have to take pictures around trash cans, stuff that should be removed and there isn't much light in the attraction right now. We spent most of the day filming green screen stuff... we also worked heavy on Medusa scene. Get your tickets now at www.thedarkness.com

Larry
    DSC00375.JPGDSC00383.JPGDSC00390.JPGDSC00392.JPG

4. Default  
    Now we are going to at least it will seem like we are starting from scratch ... in other words when we first started you saw bare walls, seemed like almost nothing. Well we are out of the upstairs for now and back downstairs to build the final two rooms. First check out Medusa which is finally started... it should be done in about a day or two. It will get hard coated next weekend then painted. We have done a lot of foam carving in this room and its the only room we are doing any foam carving.

This room will not look like much until its hard coated and painted. Also one picture of a bare room in Terror Visions plus one shot of the wheelchair animation coming together. We have 30 days and counting... get your tickets now at www.thedarkness.com

DSC00370.JPGDSC00371.JPGDSC00372.JPGDSC00374.JPGDSC00287.JPG

5. Default  
    This is going to be a HUGE WEEK FOLKS... we are going to get the construction of Medusa done THIS WEEK! It will be hard coated over the weekend and from there it will be painted. Won't look like much until its painted then it should look pretty awesome.

We will also start the LAST scene and we'll put EVERYONE on it and try to knock it out by probably Monday or Tuesday of next week. Terror Visions will be worked on and finished in about two weeks so nothing to report there really. Work on TV is somewhat suspended for this coming week. Also including several more shots from CGI shoots we recently did. We did one CGI that is going to be really really cool... more on that later. We also finished working on the Green House theming in these new Venus Fly traps. Get your tickets at www.thedarkness.com the behind the scenes tours are about 80% sold out.

DSC00286.JPGDSC00289.JPGDSC00334.JPGDSC00361.JPG

6. Default Skulliath is coming 
    SKULLIATH is coming!!!!!!!

Thought you might like to see how this is coming.
    Here is a size comparison for you to see this monster is about 6' 1/2 feet tall.
    Just wait till you see this guy flying out at you, grabbing you and trying to eat you.
    I think it is going to be something special.
    Attached Images

7. Default  
    As stated we are working on SEVERAL new CGI FX and this one is for Terror Visions the Clown attraction. We will have this CGI at the Transworld Show. Its really hard to explain what happens but... see if you can guess. Get your tickets now at www.thedarkness.com I can tell you its REALLY COOL and MY HEAD MY PERSONAL HEAD gets blown up! LOL

Larry
    !cid_ii_14466bcaf52eb51f.jpg

8. Default  
    These couple of pictures do NOT give you a good idea of how we are building this room out but its getting closer... by the end of the day TODAY this room will be DONE and READY for hard coat. Once its hard coated we will paint this next week then FINALLY you'll see what it will look like. I have to be honest here I'm getting this room and the last room done by winging it something I don't normally do ... ahh what am I saying i'm always winging it. But on these two rooms we are totally 110% winging. Everyday we do a little something then I come in and figure out what we should do next to make it look better. Today was a near disaster as many of the things that got done while I wasn't there wasn't done the way I wanted so we basically started over. However I think this room should be done by the end of the day I AM HOPING! Next week when its painted then you'll really see how cool it should be when its all said and done.

Larry

DSC00394.JPGDSC00395.JPG

9. Default  
    Another day another dollar spent... LOL

We are ALMOST finished with the Medusa room it will be done by the end of the day on Thursday. This room really won't look awesome until its hardcoated painted and detailed. But you are seeing we are back to doing a lot of foam work here.

Also I wanted to mention Patti is lining up ST LOUIS BBQ for the behind the scenes tour on Friday... that is the event with the seminars and all the how to stuff. So get your tickets NOW at www.thedarkness.com

Also I wanted to mention I'll be doing a seminar at Transworld called 'How to Renovate Your Haunt' so sign up quick for that.

Larry
    DSC00396.JPGDSC00398.JPGDSC00400.JPGDSC00402.JPGDSC00404.JPG

10. Default  
    Medusa room is DONE and it was a total just make it up on a fly kind of room. But I think it turned out great. Now we wait to have it hard coated and finally paint it next week.

Today we tried to set up the new puppet monster from Gore Galore and ran into a nightmare... we actually started building the room and by the time we finally set up this giant beast we realized it wouldn't work. The monster puppet is TOO BIG ... its huge! So we had to figure out a different way to configure the room which we did. It was a reality show moment to be honest... we sat in silence for about 10 minutes we moved the prop already hanging in four different corners of the room, then sat in silence for another 10 minutes to finally I figured out a plan.

The room is being done totally different but I think its going to be pretty cool!!! We start building it out today!!! So keep checking right here for updates. This puppet monster from Gore Galore is beyond incredible. Wait to u see it... its unpainted now but it will get there.

I did want to mention the tour on FRIDAY with food, seminar, and behind the scenes tour is about 85% sold out. We are going to serve St Louis BBQ, you get to walk through the attraction then finally come into our shop where we will talk about how we built the attraction, give you tips to create scenic work and more. Get your tickets at www.thedarkness.com

DSC00405.JPGDSC00409.JPG

Thread Information