HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: BREAKING NEWS: MHC sold to Transworld

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default  
    Louis, the Midwest Fantasy Show only occurred a couple of years. The Body Art Fashion show was the only thing that survived. As one of the most popular events at MHC I cannot imagine it going away.

2. Default Saint Louis ... Meh.... 
    With all the other conventions in Ohio, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Kentucky, etc. I have no use for The Halloween Show in Saint Louis... The cost of showing ALONE turns my stomach... Seems wasteful / ATLEAST for me.

If MHC comes to an end I believe allot of us will consider these other conventions first...
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Malicious Studios
    www.maliciousstudios.com
    "HORROR FX THAT STICKS TO THE ROOF OF YOUR BRAIN !"
    http://www.myspace.com/maliciousstudios

3. Default All other shows besides St. Louis......meh 
    I am in Michigan. Never attended MHC but every show in St. Louis ....and also in Chicago before that. St. louis is only one at right time of year for Wicked Farmers. During MHC I have always been farming.

Wicked Farmer

4. Default  
    Honestly I have NO IDEA WHY Transworld bought this show it makes NO SENSE ... the only think I can come up with is that Transworld is concerned with what the Halloween retail show is doing with Hauntcon. Personally I think whatever Hauntcon is doing with the Retailers won't make any impact in the TW show ... but to me a lot of things don't make sense. I don't know why TW does this Legendary Haunt Tour that doesn't make any sense... then they did that horror convention in Florida that didn't make any sense, now buying MHC another one that doesn't make any sense. I will say that you can't say these guys aren't ALL IN with Haunted houses. LOL

From talking to Kelly from MHC he sounded happy to finally be able to get out from producing the show so he can focus on his haunted house and build up that business.

I think Kelly and his crew made the right decision to sell their show... if I had been in their shoes I would have done the exact same thing!

Now Kelly and their group can try to build up a premier haunted house in Columbus!

Larry

5. Default  
    I think its a good move and I bet MHC will remain largely the same or will be improved.

6. Default  
    I don't know if I agree with that statement... I think the charm of what MHC does is produce the biggest haunt tours all those cheap seminars, all those parties, and events. Transworld doesn't know anything about putting haunt tours together, they don't know who what where on those haunts... Barry, Kelly and those guys know those haunts and have the relationship and they know what people will or won't do. I'm actually surprised they never moved the show once yet continue to find new haunts to tour that part is amazing btw. I think the haunt tours and all the fun stuff going on CHEAP is the main reason people go... can TW pull that off? I dont' think that is what they do its not their background.

Look at this Legendary Haunt Tour that hasn't taken off at all...they put all their marketing muscle into that and its more or less a flop. I hear 150 or so people attend that... is that a success I don't think so. I think TW should stay focused on growing the main show to include more pumpkin Halloween attractions, more amusement park vendors, renfairs, things of this nature not try to run even more events.

Just my two cents. My prediction is they will not do as good with it as the original owners without their help!

Larry

7. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by drfrightner View Post
    I don't know if I agree with that statement... I think the charm of what MHC does is produce the biggest haunt tours all those cheap seminars, all those parties, and events. Transworld doesn't know anything about putting haunt tours together, they don't know who what where on those haunts... Barry, Kelly and those guys know those haunts and have the relationship and they know what people will or won't do. I'm actually surprised they never moved the show once yet continue to find new haunts to tour that part is amazing btw. I think the haunt tours and all the fun stuff going on CHEAP is the main reason people go... can TW pull that off? I dont' think that is what they do its not their background.

Look at this Legendary Haunt Tour that hasn't taken off at all...they put all their marketing muscle into that and its more or less a flop. I hear 150 or so people attend that... is that a success I don't think so. I think TW should stay focused on growing the main show to include more pumpkin Halloween attractions, more amusement park vendors, renfairs, things of this nature not try to run even more events.

Just my two cents. My prediction is they will not do as good with it as the original owners without their help!

Larry
    ^^
    Agreed...
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Malicious Studios
    www.maliciousstudios.com
    "HORROR FX THAT STICKS TO THE ROOF OF YOUR BRAIN !"
    http://www.myspace.com/maliciousstudios

8. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by drfrightner View Post
    Honestly I have NO IDEA WHY Transworld bought this show it makes NO SENSE ... the only think I can come up with is that Transworld is concerned with what the Halloween retail show is doing with Hauntcon. Personally I think whatever Hauntcon is doing with the Retailers won't make any impact in the TW show ... but to me a lot of things don't make sense. I don't know why TW does this Legendary Haunt Tour that doesn't make any sense... then they did that horror convention in Florida that didn't make any sense, now buying MHC another one that doesn't make any sense. I will say that you can't say these guys aren't ALL IN with Haunted houses. LOL

From talking to Kelly from MHC he sounded happy to finally be able to get out from producing the show so he can focus on his haunted house and build up that business.

I think Kelly and his crew made the right decision to sell their show... if I had been in their shoes I would have done the exact same thing!

Now Kelly and their group can try to build up a premier haunted house in Columbus!

Larry
    I agree with Larry, that it would be great if there was ONE show, and EVERYONE attended. However for that to happen, it would need to be one show for EVERYONE. The Transworld show isn't currently that show, because it shuns actors, home haunters, etc. MWH isn't that show, because (according to Larry) it doesn't have the high-end buying/selling happening. So if you want to have EVERYONE come to one show, it needs to be a show for EVERYONE.

9. Default  
    I'd like to add that booth costs also play into the whole "show for everyone" aspect of this discussion. Transworld obviously is not the show FOR everyone because booth costs are just too damned high. Myself for example, run a FREE website. Everything on our site is FREE. The money we make is minimal and literally only pays for the upkeep of the FREE website. So, even though we'd LOVE to have a booth at Transworld and we have Transworld attendees emailing us about being there...we just can't do it. We can attend the show as attendees but having a booth is way to costly for a FREE website.

...even MHC is pushing it when it comes to the finances of our site. So, what are we to do? There's a HUGE void in the industry for websites like ours to "get seen". I don't feel as if ANY show even looks at this need or considers our type of websites (online resources, podcasts, how-to sites, etc.etc.). Sad.

I wonder if anybody that runs the shows even looks at this?

-Tyler
    http://www.hauntdesignkit.com
    >Download free Google SketchUp collections made just for haunt owners and designers.

Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/HauntDesignKit

10. Default  
    We attend both TW and MHC, and I attend each one for different reasons.

TW is for buying and seeing the latest and greatest in person. You have alot more selection with bigger names selling their wares.
    The seminars are ok, but priced to high IMO for what you can get.

MHC is where I go to the seminars. To rub elbows with your peers, meet new people and you are able to talk to vendors, haunt owners, and others more freely without the stress TW puts on them. The parties are good also.
    The haunt tours are better at MHC also.

If MHC stays relatively the same and the cost of seminars and other activities do not jump in price, we will continue to go.

Thread Information