HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Zombies=done?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Zombies=done? 
    O.K.

So, I'm hearing that the zombie theme has run its course.

Yet, I'm sitting here watching the latest episode of "The Walking Dead" and loving it, along with a bigger audience than has ever been seen before, zombie paintball is raking in the bucks, and my AtmoshpherFX Zombie Invasion DVD garnered the most comments of any attraction at my amateur haunt this year.

Is the zombie phenomenon over? If not, why not? If so, what's next?

2. Default  
    Very dead. Walking Dead will live on for now but the public craze has certainly waned. Best to be ahead if the curve instead of doing something that's fading.

DA

3. Default  
    I think even Walking Dead craze is ending... when you look around at movies its the supernatural movies that make all the money not zombies.

In fact they don't even seem to make zombie movies just supernatural.

Larry

4. Default Zombies 
    Zombies as a theme... It may be done but zombies aren't popular?
    Meh... I disagree.
    Basing your haunt off of zombies may be selling yourself short though... There are SO MANY ideas out there why not create a haunt based from a mixture of items?
    As I sit and think of years gone by I can't remember haunted houses ever basing their haunts upon popular tv show or movie fads... Back when I was a kid 70's 80's it was about scaring... I honestly can't remember a haunted house based from tv or movies...
    But a T.J. Hooker Haunt Or a Fantasy Island Haunt ?

THAT'S SCARY...

Lol
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Malicious Studios
    www.maliciousstudios.com
    "HORROR FX THAT STICKS TO THE ROOF OF YOUR BRAIN !"
    http://www.myspace.com/maliciousstudios

5. Default  
    I've been done with zombies for quite awhile now, just wish that everyone else would be too!!!

6. Default  
    When I was a kid, it was ...Frankenstein, Dracula, Uncle Fester and so on.....

Funny how some people to this day, still think those characters are still scary.....

Stew

7. Default Newest fad 
    I think it's to early to say what the latest hit will be but ( in my opinion ) I think the latest fad will be focused on black light responsive props, masks, and animatronics... I think animatronics have been covered for quite some time so I think allot if focus on masks, props, and complete costumes will be an interest to allot of clients.

I'd like to see the industry focus on more old school effects, I think technology ( although VERY cool ) has run its course.
    I mean most haunts have their need filled with all if the animatronics offered today...

Just my opinion ( for what it's worth )

I also think about the animatronics out today and think there needs to be actor / animatronic combo interaction props... Both quelline ( air / battery / or spring powered ) and animatronics inside the haunts that allow a interaction between the actor AND the animatronic...
    What's better than the Butcher hacking away at a dead corpse? Well... I'd say the Butcher animatronic hacking away at a LIVE HUMAN VICTIM... Or an actor hacking away at a animated prop...

Wow I say... Add water mist / sprayer and you've got yourself one cool scene !
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Malicious Studios
    www.maliciousstudios.com
    "HORROR FX THAT STICKS TO THE ROOF OF YOUR BRAIN !"
    http://www.myspace.com/maliciousstudios

8. Default  
    What I think is "done" is themes. Pirates, zombies, aliens, clowns, toxic avengers, whatever. It's all the same to me. The way to crack into the imagination of your audience is with stories. Not "there was a secret experiment and then something went wrong" faux story. A real one. One that would capture the attention should it be told over a campfire.

If the story has life then the antagonist's form won't matter.

9. Default  
    Well I think with the news that these zombie runs are starting to lose money, going out of business, its like this when everyone and I mean everyone out of the industry, in the industry, tv commercials to tv shows to zombie runs, to haunted houses, you name jumps on at the same time its ruins it quick...

thanks to HBO shows we've had a vampire craze because of true blood, then a zombie craze because of walking dead... and i mean to tell you I'm getting SICK of Walking Dead. Its got same old same old fast... they have the talking dead, the walking dead, you name it they have it... yeah yeah but its still people trying to survive among zombies, scavenging food and supplies, at this point that is getting long in the tooth.

I think what people will fall back to is supernatural because of all the ghost hunting shows, and the movies that did very well.

Larry

10. Default  
    This is not very scientific but Google Trends does show "supernatural" gaining on "zombies":

zombies vs supernatural.jpg

Thread Information