HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Zombies=done?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default This is really funny! 
    You guys are cracking me up.
    I think I need some clarification here.
    So when I go and visit a haunted house (Big or small) (Whatever the theme is) and there are dead people inside moving...
    Are they not zombies?
    Am I missing something here?
    Every Haunt has a zombie in it weather its a Clown theme, Toxic , Haunted Mansion, Corn field, Hayride, Forest, Asylum etc.

2. Default Supernatural is scary in 2014? 
    I dunno...
    I fail to view "the supernatural" as scary...lol, whether its ghosts, vampires, or etc. vampires and ghosts just leave me a bit limp...

Maybe the zombie fad has run its course for now... ( The cup has been filled ) but the horror genre LOVES zombies every big screen zombie flick has = BIG MONEY
    ( Just Sayin )

B.
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Malicious Studios
    www.maliciousstudios.com
    "HORROR FX THAT STICKS TO THE ROOF OF YOUR BRAIN !"
    http://www.myspace.com/maliciousstudios

3. Default Never count out something that isnt dead.. 
    Hi All

One thing i learned after 6 years as an adverting rep you will get sick of your message before the public does.. Insert zombies..

The walking dead is not going anywhere anytime soon..People of all walks of life like the show...Zombies i love zombies but not running from them..if
    not real..lol..not interested in zombie runs or zombie walks..zombie crawls etc..

supernatural is a great show but for the last 3 season its all about demons vs angels...Heaven and Hell..what haunt is gonna touch on that..

Last season at transworld i was like this is the last year for zombies but guess what..we sold more zombies last year then another prop...
    so if there dead my sales sure don't show it..

Do i think zombies are done...My Answer is no...However...i would not base my entire show/haunt on just on thing either...

my zombie theme section would be Zombies..Victims...and Crazed survivors a mix...

We plan this upcoming year to have many distinctions in our zombies and how you view them..its not just all walking dead style anymore
    Its changed alot.. new looks new ideas some old ideas brought back,..you will see..

and Virus zombies are way cool =)~..Double the fear..lol

In short
    a well laid out buffet of best food at the best price will always appeal...to the masses..

4. Default Heaven V.S. Hell 
    HELL YEAH... I'm game... I'd have fun with THIS idea !
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Malicious Studios
    www.maliciousstudios.com
    "HORROR FX THAT STICKS TO THE ROOF OF YOUR BRAIN !"
    http://www.myspace.com/maliciousstudios

5. Default  
    If we're talking fast or "infected" style zombies, then I do hope they're done. So sick of those movies, time to bring back the slow, grave-rising and skeletal variety again.

6. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by CreepyCollectionProps View Post

Last season at transworld i was like this is the last year for zombies but guess what..we sold more zombies last year then another prop...
    so if there dead my sales sure don't show it..

I think that's kinda the point. You sold a bunch LAST YEAR, as in for this past season, and now they are dying out. At this point they are not creative anymore, almost generic. Sort of like clowns or aliens. I think its time to bring out the old classic Halloween concepts again.

Jake

7. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathwing View Post
    I think that's kinda the point. You sold a bunch LAST YEAR, as in for this past season, and now they are dying out. At this point they are not creative anymore, almost generic. Sort of like clowns or aliens. I think its time to bring out the old classic Halloween concepts again.

Jake

I'm with you there. I don't know if zombies are "done", but they are getting pretty old. I had the first all zombie themed black light haunt called Zombie Kingdom in 3D, but this past season was my final one with this theme to replace it with something new and hopefully much better. It may come back someday but I'd rather be proactive than reactive and be ahead of the game. I think zombies and clowns etc are easy to do, but that doesn't mean it still can't work or even be cool.

Allan

8. Default  
    I don't think it necessarily ran its course yet, but I do believe it is in decline. Like, everyone jumped into that band wagon and now everyone is getting tired of zombies. Then again, if you pitch it the right way, you can get people to get interested in it again.

If you are looking at it from a fan's point of view, jump in and have fun, but if you are looking at it from an investor's point of view, I'd stay look but don't touch. Unless of course, you know EXACTLY what you are doing, then you can seriously capitalize on it. Just my two cents.

9. Default Zombie debate 
    I was planning a zombie run next Summer and decided to cancel the event due to seeing this trend playing out, then I noticed the main company doing national zombie runs announced going out of business. I think any actor that knows what their doing is going to get a scare, no matter the character or playing undead. I would not base my marketing on the zombies or shooting zombies in 2014. We have a large laser tag operation that we used in the haunt as a zombie hunt in 2001. It was a hit then, but we decided not to market that again and that was 3 years ago.

We had one set with zombies in 2013, it rocked and was a fan favorite. But it was intense due to the actors. They were amazing, so they could have been dressed as anything and got scares.

We held customer focus groups the week after we closed that were a series of direct questions and the results were zombies are played out. The customers want real fears, the video games and movies have forced us to become more creative. Create environments and situations that make our guest feel as if it's real. One example is we had a police officer character stop groups in the haunt asking them to wait until the scene is clear ahead as there has been a terrible accident. This was an actor, he was also a real cop in his day job so he was the real deal. It scared the guests since they bought into the idea that there was accident. They never seen the accident, no blood or anything. This is theater of the mind, they scared themselves more than we ever could by just płanting that seed.

I think there will always be room for undead in the haunt, it's been that way since the beginning.
    Tony Wohlgemuth,
    Comes up with the fun stuff!
    Kersey Valley, Inc.
    www.KerseyValley.com

Thread Information