HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: First Home Haunt! HELP!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default First Home Haunt! HELP! 
    Hello everyone!

My husband and I just bought our first home and he's been dying to go all out for years. Now that we can, how can I say no? We moved from out of state and we're not really sure how busy it gets around here, so we'd like to keep it small for the first year. We have a really small porch and entryway, but it leads right up a flight of stairs (it's a town home). We'd like to have the kids come all the way up to get the candy. He'd like to create a stone look for the walls, but we're not sure what the best method is. I've seen the scene setters online, and the graystone cardboard one, but I've been told that styro is the way to go. Considering that it's a whole flight of stairs, styro sounds like ALOT of labor. Which is the best way to go?

Also, whose skeletons look the best without spending a $100 each? I was thinking $50ish each. We're looking for something smaller, about a kid's height.

Thanks in advance!

2. Default  
    never had any luck with stone walls sorry, but happy haunting

3. Default Re: First Home Haunt! HELP! 
    Hello Im a 4th Year home haunter and the best thing I tryed for walls is styro foam (Its ok to leave out if it rains and can take a better beating then cardboard) Yes it will take a little labor but it will be worth it. Skeletons about kid size can be found at Hauntingsupply.com for about $57.00.
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateQueen
    Hello everyone!

My husband and I just bought our first home and he's been dying to go all out for years. Now that we can, how can I say no? We moved from out of state and we're not really sure how busy it gets around here, so we'd like to keep it small for the first year. We have a really small porch and entryway, but it leads right up a flight of stairs (it's a town home). We'd like to have the kids come all the way up to get the candy. He'd like to create a stone look for the walls, but we're not sure what the best method is. I've seen the scene setters online, and the graystone cardboard one, but I've been told that styro is the way to go. Considering that it's a whole flight of stairs, styro sounds like ALOT of labor. Which is the best way to go?

Also, whose skeletons look the best without spending a $100 each? I was thinking $50ish each. We're looking for something smaller, about a kid's height.

Thanks in advance!

4. Default  
    You can buy skeletons on ebay 33 1/2 in tall for less than 30 bucks delivered. As for styro i like it also and have used it for years.

5. Default  
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    The main "Trickiness" of doing the stairs will be measuring and cutting the pieces as you proceed up the stairs, cutting the bottom at the correct angle for the stairs, and either cardboard or styro foam will have to get cut.
    A level and a square will help, but if you've never done such a thing before it might be better to begin trying it with posterboard first.

6. Default  
    Thanks for all your input!

After talking it over it looks like he really wants to go for the styro. I'm sure I'll be whining about how much work it is over the next few weeks, but I'm sure that it will look better than the shiny, plastic scene setters.

We are going to start this weekend. I've looked around a bit and I think I get the basic idea (carve foam, paint foam... pray it looks right), but I still can't figure out how to get it onto the walls. I'd appreciate any tips (and warnings) you've got.

Thanks again.

7. Default  
    Hi! Welcome to HW! Visit Hauntedhousesupplies.com

For helpful videos!

8. Default  
    I found the best deal!
    http://www.cainindustries.com/default.asp
    Go here and get the best deals on the internet, in fact for the same amount of money you were planningto use you could make two more rooms from Cain Industries.
    Mike Cirrincione
    Executive Producer of:

M&K Workshop
    MAC Productions presents:
    Buffalo Badlands: Tinianna Home of The Tormentor *RIP*
    AND SOON, Pandora's Box!

Skyrotechnic Illuminations
    Pro Fireworks coming 2015

Cyber Saturday - a revolution in light and music
    Coming soon

Black Hole Shows: Buffalo

9. Default  
    i started small,then a few yrs later i ended up with a haunt that took up my whole yard,and stood yr round.its more addictive than crack

10. Default  
    Anatomical chart usually runs their 4th quality full-size skeletons on sale around Transworld time. Usually about $60. By far the best deal out there. Marilyn Lack is the person to talk to. Just give her the name of your haunt (make one up if you have to) and you will get dealer pricing. mlack@anatomical.com (800) 541-3344 x 7454

Thread Information