HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Live Animals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Live Animals 
    Has anyone used live animals in their haunt or been to a haunt that did? How were the animals used? Was it worth it?

2. Default  
    I've been thinking about using live animals too. I've never seen it in a haunt. Whenever I ask people their opinion its about 50/50 on whether they think its a good idea or not.
    my yellow in this case is not so mellow, infact I'm tryin to say, its frightened like me

3. Default  
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    At least when you build them their tiny little rest rooms, they don't take up much room.
    Besides certain aromas and the possibility of someone getting bit, also consider people's allergys to pet dander, it can be a real concern, says this voice of experience.

4. Default  
    Two years ago we had a dozen live rats in a large cage that the customers had to walk under to get out of the room. It did freak people out but there was 2 problems, first is the fact that they stink bad and the cage needs to be cleaned every day! Second is that they tend to sleep a lot. Not much that is scary about a sleeping rat. The positive thing was that they became part of the family. We would play with them every day. They are very friendly and in a weird way kinda cute!

As far as weather or not it was worth it I would have to say it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

Howie Erlich
    Deadly Intentions Haunted House
    www.deadlyintentionshaunt.com

5. Default  
    I haven't seen this done at a haunt other than the exotic animals that were residents at Verdun Manor back in Lance Pope's day. There are some potential problems with using live animals as part of a show, including stress on the animals, required care and maintenance, unreliability of animal "performers," not to mention claims of animal cruelty. That said, handled well, it could go over in a big way.

Something that I have been toying with is a bizarre animal petting zoo.
    I am planning on using a blue tongued skink, a monitor lizard, several snakes, Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches, "Stickbugs", and perhaps a descented skunk. Anybody have any ideas for other creatures that might work?

Dave

6. Default  
    Personally I wouldn't try it. Too much potential for an animal lover to claim yur abusing the animalz & call the SPCA on you & have you shut down.

7. Default  
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    Taxidermied "Pets" being babied and catered to by a nutty human would be more interesting.
    I removed "Mr. Tuxedo from his place in the kitchen because people were telling me they were allergic to cats and some people where being physically cruel to him when I would turn my back. Some people hate certain types of animals.

8. Default  
    We have had both live snakes (up to 500) in a scene and live rats for many years in our haunt. Overall they are great for marketing ("we have live Snakes!), but are very hard to maintain (especially if you have to keep them all year around, feed them, etc,...). Unfortunately you can't make wild animals act the way you want them to, and usually they are piled up in the darkest corner where no one can see them. Snakes tend to be very inactive and most people don't believe they are even real because they aren't moving much.

Rats will eat through just about anything (including the walls) and are hard to maintain also. They are better as line entertainment than in a scene. They stink and only live a year or two.

I have great sources for snakes if anyone needs them. Email me at Dwayne@midnightproduction.com

9. Default  
    [quote="Howie Slobber Erlich"]Two years ago we had a dozen live rats in a large cage that the customers had to walk under to get out of the room. It did freak people out but there was 2 problems, first is the fact that they stink bad and the cage needs to be cleaned every day! Second is that they tend to sleep a lot. Not much that is scary about a sleeping rat. The positive thing was that they became part of the family. We would play with them every day. They are very friendly and in a weird way kinda cute!

As far as weather or not it was worth it I would have to say it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

at the USS Nightmare one of our icon characters is the rat lady (cpt. mitchell's mistress). she has been with us for many yeras..actually since the uss nightmare I was around. there would be people in line that look forward to seeing her with her other 30 or so little children.

yes, the rat's do smell..whcih is great!
    yes, there cages do need to be cleaned...which we have a staff for
    yes, the rats do sleep ONLY if you do not give them something to eat on during your show AS WELL as keeping the lights sort'a low.

besides rats, the boat carries love snakes..and last year we did have a hissing cockroach crawling all over an actor's face (he brought his pet).

sidenote..there will be a 2 lb rat in the show this year (as well as 2 actors working in our clow area who are..professional clowns. WOW did we strick some gold!)

the staff at the USS Nightmare wish you ALL a very happy and very safe season!!! let the haunting begin!

jason

www.ussnightmare.com
    www.myspace.com/ussnightmare

10. Default  
    If you had people walk under a rat cage....didnt the rats poop through the cage and possibly onto the customers. And, if you did have a poop catch or whatever didnt it block the view of the rats as they walked under?

Can you guys please be more specific on how you used the rats? I like the idea of walking underneathe them.
    my yellow in this case is not so mellow, infact I'm tryin to say, its frightened like me

Thread Information