HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Advice

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Advice 
    Here is a situation I am dealing with. This is my 20th year running haunts and I am very familiar with all the codes, permits and licenses that are required to operate. I not only adhere to all the rules but go way beyond the requirements in regards to the safety of my haunt.

Last week I had my Fire, building and electrical inspections. We passed with just a couple small changes that the building inspector requested. They are coming back this Wed. to re inspect to make sure I made the changes that they requested. No problem! I even changed a few things that they didn't love but were not going to make me change.

While they were at my haunt they mentioned that a haunt down the street had not yet called them to come and inspect their show. In our city you must have the police and fire dept. signature on the business licence application before it can be approved. So I wondered how they would be allowed to open without being inspected and without pulling the proper permits.

Needless to say the other haunt opened on Friday night. I sent some friends through the house on Saturday to see if they were following all the required safety laws. They video taped the entire event from their wait outside all the way through the haunt. I was shocked when I watched the video later that night.

There is visquine (Black Plastic) covering most of the attraction which as I'm sure you all know is a big no no, there are no clearly marked emergency doors if any emergency doors at all, there are pathways less than 44" wide, which is the local requirement and no self illuminating directional arrows 8" from the floor. Also on video we have one of our group asking if there are restrooms available, which is also a requirement. One of their employees said "No, if you have to go, then you'll have to pee between those two trucks" which he pointed to in the parking lot.

Now this morning when I went to pick up my business licence which to my surprise went up over $600.00 from the last 3 years. I asked the licensing dept. if the haunt had their business licence prior to opening on Friday. I was told they picked it up Friday afternoon. However, the Building Dept. told me they still were not approved to open at 5:00pm on Friday. The Fire Dept. has still not done an inspection on the haunt. Which is required in order to get the business licence.

This haunt is not safe for the public and is breaking several codes that I can see on tape. Apparently, the city is allowing them to operate this way.

I have to pay for inspections, building permits, a surety bond, insurance and a business licence. They don't have to do anything. Is this right?

Haunts like this one, are the reason why we pay more every year for insurance. Why it is harder to find cities that will allow a haunt to operate. These are the haunts that have the potential to injure or kill patrons.

I have already contacted my attorney. I am thinking about going to the newspapers and letting them know how unsafe this attraction is. Should I just drop it and mind my own business?

The bottom line is that I do everything the right way. I follow all the rules. I pay for all my permits, licenses and inspections. It is not fair that for whatever reason this haunt is getting away without having to follow the rules and endangering the safety of the public.

What do you think?

Howie "Slobber" Erlich
    Deadly Intentions Haunted House
    www.deadlyintentionshaunt.com

2. Default  
    I'm pretty familar with the Michigan Haunted house scene, is this a new haunt or an established haunt?

3. Default  
    Hey undertaker,

It is an established haunted house. They have been open in Warren the last three years.

Howie

4. Default  
    Care to be more specific? Is it the Fear Factory?

5. Default  
    I don't care to be more specific at this time. I am not posting this to bash other haunts. I was just curious what other haunters felt about this matter.

Howie

6. Default  
    Well to answer your question to put it frankly it's a load of BS. How can your haunt one haunt get around the whole fire inspection and all that. Not only is it unfair to you and the other haunts out their but it's awfully unsafe. Sorry to go off topic but have you heard anything regarding the release of the Fear Finders? Are they already out?

7. Default  
    Yes, the Fearfinder Newspapers have been out for around 2 weeks. Ed and his crew have once again done a great job producing and distributing the paper this year. I am proud to say that our ad is the first one you see when you open it up. It is a full page color ad on the inside cover.

Howie

8. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie Slobber Erlich
    Yes, the Fearfinder Newspapers have been out for around 2 weeks. Ed and his crew have once again done a great job producing and distributing the paper this year. I am proud to say that our ad is the first one you see when you open it up. It is a full page color ad on the inside cover.

Howie
    Ok thanks. I'll have to try to track one down.

9. Default  
    When I hear stuff like this I immediately think one of two thingz....
    Either payola. Someone somewhere iz takin bribez (or iz a relative of someone)...
    Or discrimination.

Equality means we all have to abide by the law and when one person doesn't have to do that it creates an unfair situation for otherz in the biz.
    Not to mention the danger it placez the public in.

I say raise holy hell bro! You have every right and you're doing a public service too!

luck.

10. Default  
    Thanks for the support Bonesaw!

Howie

Thread Information