HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Lawyers @#$%$#?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Lawyers @#$%$#? 
    Well after last years ordeals with the cities. I am wondering if I should use a lawyer to get the city to allow my haunt. Cities are paid to say "NO" and I have not been able to get them to say yes but I know there are loopholes because other haunts have gotten in.

So if I should go to a lawyer for help, what type of lawyer would work in this situation?

How often do you you guys use a lawyer for a third party?

Jim- I have just opened a can of worms with your name on it for jokes. Insert as many lawyer jokes as you would like.

Ryan

2. Default  
    Are you sure that you want to really get a lawyer involved? Can't you find a close city that is a little more haunt friendly?

If you go the legal route you may have battles all the way through the whole project. If you piss off the city they will make it very hard for you to open. They will not let you slide on anything. You will be made to follow all city, county, state and probably national rules and regulations.

Also, do you have enough money to go all the way with a lawyer? They will want a retainer, probably $2000-$5000 just to get started. Don't forget that the city has lawyers on staff with lot's of experience with these types of matters. If they really don't want you there than most likely they will find ways and reasons not to let you open no matter what.

It's up to you. If you have a location that is perfect and your problems with the city are not to huge than it may be worth it. You may be better off just trying to find a different location.

Just my opinion,

Howie "Slobber" Erlich
    Deadly Intentions Haunted House
    www.deadlyintentionshaunt.com

3. Default  
    Try working like with a local charity. See if they can help you get a building through the city. Donate part of your profits to there organization. That would be better than resorting to a lawyer. Thats just gonna come off negative. See what you can do beyond codes to work with your firemarshal ect. There are ways other than resorting to lawyers. Hopefully!
    Damon
    Damon Carson

4. Default Thanks everyone 
    I agree that a lawyer would just look defensive to a city official.

I have 4 locations currently under a tentative agreement by the owners to allow us to move in. I just want to make sure that I cover my butt when it comes to making sure that the city does not walk all over me like they did last year. Every city I talked to said "NO" way to operate in their city. Even though there has been previous haunts in their city in the past. They have to find a a way to say no and they are paid to do so.

So my whole reason of bringing in a lawyer was to hire someone to say the right things to the city to get us in the front door. The firemarshall is a different beast to wranggle but just getting the zoning fools to agree is the first step. Who would you all suggest I go to for help.

Ryan

5. Default  
    Is there any way for you to operate outside of the city limits? There are fewer restrictions if you go rural and I believe it is cheaper.

6. Default  
    Get just outside the city limits.

County governments are almost always easier to deal with.

A slightly remote location is cheaper and adds atmosphere too.
    Guerilla Haunter

7. Default  
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    A "Remote Location"? Is that where dead remotes go for burial?
    I worry that mine died and slipped away then a week later it reappears (after those pesky Ufo guys bring it back?)

8. Default No such thing 
    I have polled hundreds of people during my research for the haunt and the minute I am out of the cities' limit. no one will come. Here in Salt Lake, the cities are all together. The minute you say rural that means 45 minutes into the desert. The city is the only place that I can open. Its kind of like being in SanDiego and telling everyone that the haunt is in Tijuana, Mexico. Trust me very few would attend. I just want to make sure that I cover my grounds before I talk to them.... Even pointers on what to say is all that I need.

Ryan

9. Default Wouldn't recommend it 
    My wife's an attorney and I usually say that people don't use them enough. They can help with a lot of things but not this. What would they do, sue the city to force them to allow you to open? Not likely.

Build a relationship with your community government instead.

10. Default  
    I understand how the Fire Marshall or building inspector can give you a hassle, but how does the City keep you from opening....what excuse do they use....

Thread Information