HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: I need help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default I need help 
    I need to know how to scare the jocks and the big guys,and the people that are hard to scare. PLEASE HELP!

2. Default  
    Well you can't expect to scare everyone, but you can certainly try.

One thing I've found effective for myself is doing the unorthodox. Something they're not expecting. When you enter a haunted house for the first time, what do you expect the actors inside to do? People usually think the actors are going to simply snarl, yell, and keep their distance. But I don't want people to see what they expect. I want someone to think, "Uh, is suppose to be doing that? Should we get a doctor or something? Wait, wait, that's a little close. A little too close. Back off, weirdo!" What I do exactly are noises such as short rapid breathing (while trying to act like I'm chocking on my own tounge) and gargling. To make my body match the sound, I fake violent convulsions. To top it off, I get really close to the customers. How close? Close enough to literally count the hairs on their upper lip. One of the golden rules of the Haunted House is no touching. Which means we can get as up-close as we wish as long as we don't make contact. But you don't have to replicate all that to achieve your goal. Just remember "do the unexpected" (and hope for the best). If all goes well, it'll put a damper on the customers' sense of saftey and control.

3. Default  
    Thanks. I usually hear that you cant touch them,but that doesnt mean you cant get EXTREMELY close.

4. Default  
    Just watch out for the "punchers."

5. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Infoamtek View Post
    Just watch out for the "punchers."
    And the drunks. Steer clear of em'.

6. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    And the drunks. Steer clear of em'.
    and watch out for the people that are trippin on drugs. Now I am a very big guy. 6 foot 10 and 275 pounds. I don't get scared walking in haunted houses because I have 10 years experience working for them plus now I own my own. I would have to say. Surprise attacks is what I call them will spook me once in a while. An actor that pops out from the wall or box. Hidden from you until it's to late. When I see a actor just standing there in the middle of the room who starts yelling at me to get out! That is just so stupid and will not scare me. Think surprise attack!!!
    ~Bill Mlinac
    The Deadland Haunted House
    www.facebook.com/Deadlandhauntedhouse
    www.Thedeadland.com

7. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Motograter View Post
    and watch out for the people that are trippin on drugs. Now I am a very big guy. 6 foot 10 and 275 pounds. I don't get scared walking in haunted houses because I have 10 years experience working for them plus now I own my own. I would have to say. Surprise attacks is what I call them will spook me once in a while. An actor that pops out from the wall or box. Hidden from you until it's to late. When I see a actor just standing there in the middle of the room who starts yelling at me to get out! That is just so stupid and will not scare me. Think surprise attack!!!
    You don't get scared because you can see over top of the walls and miss all of the actors jumping out, LOL!
    Jared Layman

8. Default  
    HAHAHA this is true mindtumor. I can see over everyones heads and its great!!!
    ~Bill Mlinac
    The Deadland Haunted House
    www.facebook.com/Deadlandhauntedhouse
    www.Thedeadland.com

9. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Motograter View Post
    Think surprise attack!!!
    Ah, that works too. Last year we had a carnival theme at the asylum. In the last room we had a stage where an actor would perform magic tricks and jokes. The patrons would sit on a bench infront of the stage. I would sit on a giant jack-in-box next to the stage and infront of the partons (who are three feet away). Oddly enough they all thought I was a stuffed prop. I sat there, waiting, trying hard not to move a muscle. Then the show would come to a close. "Okay, who wants to play Escape From the Twisted Carnival? What you're going to do is run that way when I count to three. Because they are all around you now. One....three!" Then the spot lights go out. "DINNER TIME!" As they get up from the bench to make it out of the carnival, I jump down (did I mention I was three feet away?). It's hard to put into words the expression on their faces. Shocked? Fearful? Amazed? Disgusted? Either way, it sure was effective.

10. Default  
    A few things I done over the last 5 years.
    No touchy feely, but doesn't mean your props can't.

And separating them from the rest of the group seems to work pretty good too.

Thread Information