HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Don't you just hate

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
  1. Default  
    Don't you just hate it when a 7 or 8 year old threatens to murder you.

It was pretty funny, i jumped out at him, you could tell he was scared. He then proceeded to say that he'd murder me.

2. Default  
    My room is where the master of the haunt skinned his victims. therefore, being a 4D haunt, we use the scent of rotting flesh...I get some fun ones that I cant stand anymore

1. Did you s*** yourself?
    2. You smell like feet! (scary that most people compare rotting flesh to feet)

And dont you love the drunks and crackheads. I had to fill in for the lead once and (our haunt uses 3 d glasses that react with our makeup) we had a guy so high that he tried to run away from me...through a completely full closet....I ADMIT IT...I broke the no touch rule there....drunk bikers are so fun there....got in a fight with them lol...good times...I especially love it since my character is completely harmless...oh well it comes with the territory lol

3. Default  
    Ah, here's a few more chaps I forgot to mention:

Mr. Hey-If-Someone-Can-Sue-Over-Hot-Coffee-I-Can-Make-An-Buck-In-Here. When I hear about this kind of person in haunts, I don't think of him being a bratty 14 year old. Well, surprised was I when I saw him walk in.

I was peering out of the make-up room door to see if anyone was around. Didn't want patrons to see "behind the scenes" when I open the door to walk out. There was a small group of three Jr. High kids being lead by one of our guides just outside the door. The only guy of the group said, "Your eyes, they're so fake. See how fake they are?" (referring to the guide's prosthetic). The guide then told him that if he continues to disrupt the tour, he would be lead out of the haunt. "I swear if anyone touches me, I'll sue. I'll sue and then they'll be sorry."

Once they left, so did I. After I walked through the haunt's "actor shortcuts" I got into a new spot to scare; next to the strobe/collapsing hallway. I would stand behind a corner, wait until I saw them coming, turn the corner, and try to go through them. "Out of my way, out of the way!" Cheap now that I think about it, but has worked in the past.

Soon after I got into position, I heard the chatter of a group walking down the hallway. So I did just what I planned, but in my haste under the strobe lighting I brushed up against someone by accident (our haunt has a no-touching rule). As I ran out of the hallway I hear, "That's it! I'm suing!". It was the same kid as earlier. Huh, imagine that.

So, did he go through with his lawsuit? Of course not. All bark and no bite. HA!

While we're on the subject of so called "tough guys":

In the last section of the haunt, I was chasing a group out the exit. When a kid, possibly 8 or 9, turns back and spouts, "You're retarrrrrrded. R-E-tarded." Isn't that rude....Well, I'm going to have teach this kid a lesson in manners. So I charge straight for him with my voice growling up something fierce. He jumps back and nearly trips over his parents feet. He collects himself and says, "Y-yeah!? Well...come on. Scratch me, right here." pointing at his cheek. So I ape-walk over to this tiny guy and lunge my "claws" an inch from his face. "Ahh!" *pant* *pant*

Seems like he didn't like that.....good.
    Last edited by Smiley; 09-08-2008 at 09:43 PM.

4. Default  
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    One fine summer afternoon I was talking with the parents beside my house as their strange son was petting or trying to pet Mr. Tuxedo (spookhouse cat)
    To get his need for his parent's attention filled, the boy runs over to us and tells us the cat scratched him!!!
    I looked at his skin, no blood, not even a mark of any kind. I said, "did he scratch you like this?" I took my hand and moved it like a cat's claw might move.
    "Yes, that's it, that is how he clawed me!"
    Then I told them that Mr. Tuxedo had no front claws (which he doesn't)
    The kid got this shocked and perplexed expression across his face, he knew that he had been caught!
    I should have sung him a song from my childhood, "liar,liar, pants on fire!"
    Mr. Tuxedo would get blamed for that too, even though there was no smoke or fire.
    Maybe a wolf could follow him home? "Wolf" as in"the little boy who cried"?

5. Default  
    I REALLY hate when I get proposals and asked how much I get paid (which is nothing =[ ) !!!! I mean its quite funny but from my area, i can't see any of the audience cuz of the bright lights shinning on me...so i cant even see the people who propose haha. But it deffinatly ruins it for the rest of the paying customers and the actors as well. It makes me feel so out of character..i'm trying to BE the character and they just broke that barrier you know. lol o well, what can you do? =/

6. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by film_actor View Post
    I REALLY hate when I get proposals and asked how much I get paid (which is nothing =[ ) !!!! I mean its quite funny but from my area, i can't see any of the audience cuz of the bright lights shinning on me...so i cant even see the people who propose haha. But it deffinatly ruins it for the rest of the paying customers and the actors as well. It makes me feel so out of character..i'm trying to BE the character and they just broke that barrier you know. lol o well, what can you do? =/
    Well, we can't deny him an honest answer. "What do you get paid?" "The brains of anyone who asks me stupid questions, and my, look who decided to volunteer...Goodie."
    Last edited by Smiley; 09-08-2008 at 10:24 PM.

7. Default  
    Dude i have to listen to that crap all the time. Everyone does. But it's apart of the job haha.

8. Default confused and concerned 
    "Customers like hitting our actors, its something they live with. Its terrible for sure...not much you can do about it. Its the life and times of a haunted house actor."

I just stumbled on this thread and thus the above quote. The quote was from Sept of '07, so hopefully it is not something that would be repeated again, especially from a haunt owner.

The apathy of that statement scares me more than whatever dumb things our customers do and say. This thread began as a well-earned vent from actors and turned into an amusing back and forth with stories and advice for how to react to the stupidity of customers. The fact that none of the actors on here replied to the above quote amazed me. How can you, the actor who is at risk, not reply to a haunt owner saying there is nothing we can do about it and we should just live with it? I have been acting since 1993 and was hit ONCE because frankly, once was enough to teach me quite a few lessons. It is absolutely the responsibility of the haunt owners and managers to teach their actors how to deal with the many things the customers throw at us and it is the responsibility of the actors to put their safety before the scare. Some things we just can't prepare for, but to say there isn't much to do about it is irresponsible and very much a symptom of the problem of being a haunt actor and why our job has become more difficult and less enjoyable despite the growth of the haunt industry as a whole.

Please continue to exchange stories and advice with other actors, but unless the owners, managers and operators are reading and heeding what is being said then not much is going to change.
    Beth Miller

SoMetHinG WiCKed ThIS WAy CoMEs

What can we teach you about fear?

9. Default  
    Haunt owners may be more guilty of getting their helpers abused when they don't look the guests over at all before allowing them entery to see if they are drunk, aggressive.
    Things I don't want to have go on in my house have always happened from either drunk customers or from too many people in a group (Greedy?)
    It's sort of like over driving your car. Emergency stopping at 60mph is one thing, emergency stopping at 100mph is a totally different thing isn't it?
    Having a crowd of solid, wall to wall paying bodies shuffling through the house means money (usually at the sacrifice of the scare or the show) more people, more potential for something to happen, along with that October vandal mentality of being an azzhole because they feel ripped off or owed something more than they feel they are getting, so steal,or break something to get "even".

A haunt actor accepting getting punched would be like a carpenter accepting cutting off a finger...every week? Just one per year? Would not that be acceptable? "Oh come on, I'm paying you! What is your problem, Stubbs?"

10. Default Another Thing.. 
    Getting punched is not always a thing that can be easily shrugged off.
    Teeth leave your mouth if you don't protect them correctly.
    Jaw hinges can be mis-alined causing years of discomfort.
    There is really no place on the human face designed to take a punch in my opinion.
    Concussions are huge time wasters in one's life when you have other things to do besides lay in a bed sleeping for several days, feeling like Chitt!
    People with numerous head injurys are also shown to be more prone to epilleptic fits later in life.
    When I was a kid, the TV cop shows showed some characters on a show get knocked unconscious every week! (Not a reality based premiss)
    I heard one of the three stooges died from head injurys from one of their little movies.
    It's only "funny" when abuse is not happening to us or someone we care about.
    You really don't have to stick your head down someone else's pants to scare them.

Thread Information