HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Best scare for EXIT scene?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default Thank God and Stihl!!!! 
    "not impressed with chainsaws" (what!?!?!) I can see not using a saw at the end if you are trying to be different, but if you don't have a saw on the property simply because you are "not impressed" or don't want to be a "cliche" then you're cheating your public. (my opinion) You can't beat the look on the faces of the next group to walk in when they all hear the Chainsaw roar inside the house. (I think I just pee'd a little with excitement). As far as a last room, for a couple of years we had a chalkboard drop. It was a good sized drop window with chalkboard spray coating on it. We also had a sign above it that said " Did The Shadow's Edge......" and on the chalkboard we spilt it down the middle and had "Rocked" on one side and "Sucked" on the other. We even had already marked up the board and had chalk sticks glued down in a tray in front of it. When the "tough guy" of the group reached for the chalk to mark his own opinion we would drop the chalkboard for one last blast. It worked great, but i think we went back to a chainsaw. I guess we are just predictable scum.
    Scott Murphy- Owner/Operator www.theshadowsedge.com KICKING & SCREAMING!!!

2. Default  
    what im NOT impressed about ARE the cliche uses of chainsaws... party city masks on teenage boys weilding a chainsaw at the exit door is just BORING to me... and thats what i've encountered at 98% of the haunts ive been to that use a chainsaw ending scene. Last season, actually, i went to a haunt that has a GREAT reputation in the area, and i was severely let down... no themeing, no scenes, just tent after tent of party-city-mask-wearing-chainsaw-maniacs (6 of them to be exact... spaced throughout the haunt) and they didnt even move really... just started up the chainsaw and moved their arms around a little, then shut it off...

its just sad. Chainsaws can be an excellent prop, but thats what they are... a prop... give the scene that utilizes that prop a little more substance, and you've got a winner.... Don't avoid using them for fear of becoming a cliche, use them in ways that others havent... (AKA DONT BE THE CLICHE IF YOU USE THEM!)

thats all im getting at.

3. Default Ravens Grin Inn ! 
    Hey Warfield,
    I would have to say that the year you and Leonard put the TW tour together, the exit from the Ravens Grin Inn out of the trunk of the Hudson suddenly onto the street was great. Just when we were expecting, heck I don't know, we were climbing out of the trunk from the cool tunnel onto the cold street, and wham, it was over.

Of course, your idea of no exit at all has occurred to me a few times, especially the one time we came through and one of our friends made a comment when we were in the sub-basement. She told you you were WIERD!!!. And you came back with a true Warfield comment, while we wondered if she had sealed our fate, our car to disappear, and no one know where we really were. And we become part of the future of the Inn.

Three time visitor... pondering a fourth.. nah.. not just yet.

Brett Molitor
    JamBam/Huntington Jaycees Haunted Hotel-13th Floor
    www.HauntedHuntington.com
    www.MySpace.com/the_haunted_hotel

4. Default  
    We went into last year not wanting to use chainsaws or clowns. We didn't use chainsaws. A clown somehow snuck onto the property and stayed for the entire month. Oh well.

For our final scene the customers walk down a dark hallway and make a 90 degree turn at the end into a brightly lit room with the stairs to the exit. We didn't do anything to the room, in fact we stored extra equipment in the corner. Everyone assumed it was over, then an actor in a SPFX zombie mask came out of a doorway behind them and chased them upstairs.

We had a hidey hole with a view on this room so management could watch the fun. The best was listening to people when they walked into the lighted nonscary room. You could actually hear some people sigh, like it was finally over and they could relax. You knew you had them when everyone in the group would start gabbering about everything they had just scene and what they liked and what scared them.

5. Default  
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    Who are your customers?
    I think if they are 13 to 17 year olds many of which have never been to haunted attractions or have been to only one or two of them them the chainsaw attack is fine. .
    I'm not kidding when I tell you that even slightly older customers really do not appreciate a chainsaw at all, not the noise, nor smell nor potential for someone to trip and hit you with a possibly hot , heavy metal device.
    I decided long ago that I would pander to the older groups and it has worked out for me and what I do here. Bottom line:Whatever works for you...works.
    I just love the little subtle things I do here that creates sometimes massive reactions, as last night, the first slight , small thing that I did to the people as they were walking up to my house had very loud screams coming out of them, echoing across the parking lot all the way over to the city graveyard on the opposite hill.
    I wonder if my dead relatives heard them?
    Could Have! (insert evil laugh ~here)

6. Default exit scare 
    Our haunt is outdoors, in a 10 ft tall cornfield maze that we fog heavily, but we have our actors (with chainsaws - we're in Texas, and for some reason that scare is almost mandatory for some folks), about three or four guys dressed all in black, criss-cross through the dimly lit path and alongside our patrons. Our customers can hear them rustling through the crop, smell the chainsaw fluid smoking, and feel as though they are being stalked...then, we give them a break. Things get eerily quite and still. The guys turn the saws off. The only thing you can hear is the wind in the cornstalks, footsteps, and a low hissing/whispering soundtrack we created (my 10 year old and some friends!) They wander on a bit into a predictable scare, they think they are home free -- by then, there's usually a nervous giggle or two (Gotta love the 13 yr olds!) and our huge, bubba of a guy, 6ft actor all bloodied and nasty, crazy looking in his hillbilly garb fires up the chainsaw on the path in front of them, back lit by a red light. We shoot compressed air at them at the same time and they RUN SCREAMING to the only exit they can see, just behind the chainsaw guy. It's a classic, yes even cliche -- but something about it gets a great response each time. People tell our ticket girls that they're back and bringing their friends for the chainsaw guy....
    "Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

7. Default  
    Our first year, I was set on not having any chainsaws in our haunted house. After the first weekend, the most common complaint from our customers was that we did not have a chainsaw. Its great to be original and creative, but you have to give customers what they want. There is a reason that hollywood keeps putting out the same plots over and over (and even just directly re-making movies). We used the chalk board drop down for a couple of years and it definitely worked great. I think the best way to do an ending is to use a chainsaw in a good last scene (giving them what they want), then the customers go into a room that leads them to believe that the haunt is over, then you hit them again when their guard is down (air cannon, drop down, whatever).
    Bill C. Schnell
    Dark Son Productions
    NecroPlanet Haunted Attractions
    www.NecroPlanet.com

8. Default  
    I heard that complaint my first year too, but rarely have I heard it since. It is pointless for us to add a chain saw to our haunt when every haunted house and cornfield around us is using them in droves. I don't think customers necessarily demand chainsaws, I think they have just come to expect it. What they demand is to be entertained. And as long as you do that then you don't have to hold on to the "got to have a chain saw" theory like it is the gospel according to Leatherface.
    That is just my humble opinion. In the end ya just got to do what works for you the best.
    Haunting has a lot of room for experimentation.
    And don't get me started on Hollywood plots and remakes. Those guys rather sell the same old rehashed stuff over and over for fear of loosing a buck. I think they are currently on the verge of driving the recent resurgence of horror movies into the ground with the same old crap. They are remaking Prom Night! How much more can we bear? lol

Louis Brown
    Owner, operator, and dish washer
    at
    DarkWood Manor

9. Default  
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    Everybody does what they feel will work for their customers. I have had the following conversation 1.000's of times over the last 20 years with potential customers either on the phone or in person:"Do you use chainsaws in your haunted house?"
    "No I don't."
    "Do you have gory, bloody displays."
    "No, I don't do Crime Scenes or Murder Houses"

"Are you going to scare me so much I wet myself?"
    "I sure don't try to do anything like that."
    "Is something going to grab me in there?"
    "I can't promise this won't happen because one of the
    people coming in with you might touch you."

Then after the tour they might tell me their personally upsetting,embarrassing history within another haunted attraction. Then they add, "And I NEVER went back there again!" (And never took any friends there either.) If it is an adult telling me this they usually never allowed their kids to go to a haunt either.
    So anybody want to try to mathematically calculate how much business and how many dollars were lost over just, say a ten year period of time?
    This afternoon I had a tour for a Dad and his two young girls. I showed then a lights on tour mostly and gave away every potential scare, they are only maybe 7 and 5 yr. old girls, they loved it and I asked them if they had a good time, weren't scared? Then I said " maybe someday you would like to come back here then? What a concept! Doing what I enjoy, treating the customers as patrons and being able to pay your bills and not have to stand in the free cheese line! (sucking in cheesefarts.)

10. Default Exit Scare 
    Our strategy is to let them think the tour is over one scene early. we stop them, talk to them a bit, then say happy halloween and send them out thru a small scene/hallway.
    they are so off guard at that point that simple popups and air cannons do the job fine to have them running and screaming out into the courtyard
    Gravely MacCabre
    aka Ricky Dick
    Castle Blood Haunted Adventure Tour
    and
    Midnight Monster Hop
    Horror Host Show

Beallsville, PA 15313
    www.castleblood.com
    www.midnightmonsterhop.com
    www.myspace.com/midnightmonsterhop.com

Media Director for National Halloween Convention

http://www.halloweenshow.com