HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: 13th Hour Magazine

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default  
    Yep, now I remember.
    I believe you are right Larry.

2. Default  
    At HauntCon, only had about 20 minutes free to see who was on the show floor. I came around the corner and was barraged with this high pressure sales type offer to advertise or at least ive them all my information and they would send a copy to my house for free.

Some how I treated him like a telemarketer and declined telling him who I was, what I do or where I live. For all he knew I was there to inspect the bathrooms on that Sunday or just making sure the brass plated handles were still attatched to the hotel.

I came away from him and one other older dude trying to sell a magical propane cannon that was going to solve any problem I ever had in the world thinking how they were pleading and jumping up and down like some starving 3rd world throng that the militia had just stopped their free food shipment days ago instead of a proffesional sales floor.

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

3. Default  
    I can vouch for that, MonsterGuts!

Dean, You're one of the nicest and easiest men in the industry to talk to, and you DO respect the pitch of a hard-working salesman (like me), even when your time could be busy filling orders. Thank you!!! It's men like you (and many others) who give this HAUNT INDUSTRY a good name. I would love to see more of your posts from time to time.

Happy Haunting!
    ---Patti

4. Default  
    Ain't that the truth Patti.
    I almost slipped Dean the tongue!

5. Default  

6. Default  
    Im typing this on a whim...putting my thoughts down.
    Is it 5K per issue..or 5K a year? Either way, thats a lot.
    Now I got an issue today of this mag(thank you, my friend)...at a quick glance I went wow! This is nice!
    Next glance....I understand what a lot are speaking about(price for advertisng (no comment)....First glance, yes even pretty and nice and clean I went "wow"( tons of Vendors/compaines/add's). Regardless if they paid or not to be in it....way too many adds for a magazine for the content. The pages with vendors/companies look great! But.........yes I have a huge butt i know that....lol...What I dont understand is this:
    If a biz to biz mag. or a trade mag. how and where does the 8K(thousand) subscribers come from...call me a dummy.
    Next glance.......I thumbed through it again.....I read the awesome laid out pages...to notice...Oh, another add...(a haunted house, oh that company or that one).
    This is just my opinion the following remarks........
    1. high priced
    2. too many adds versus content
    3. Very nice to hold and look through
    4. To much controversery(sp) on advertisng price...Spoke with a few myself
    5.my wifes calling me for dinner...

anyways, all im saying....I like the Book, it looks really nice and pretty, I would buy it(maybe depending on price)...wait its a biz to biz type mag kind of like a trade magazine I quess(my quess). If that I canot justify the cost to myself.
    I contacted them weeks ago saying I heard of it and wanted to know price to subscribe to it...two emails later...nada.

My final review....someone is forking out huge bucks(best not be u vendors)...trying to get this "haunt vendor book" of the ground.

Sorry for my ramble.....I was on phone when posting.
    But if at 5K per year, good luck and well.........even at 2k.........

put ur money else where.

yes, I admit, no offisive to 13th hr, nice book, but....theres so many better ways and cheaper to adviter....sorry im still stuck on the amount of subscribers and issues mailed out.

post more of my scarted brains thought later.

7. Default  
    Larry, this whole thing did seem to me like those phony phone books, the kind where they send you an invoice that looks like the real Yellow Pages bill you are expecting - just a little sooner so you will pay it before you get the real bill and realize you have been duped. Similar sales methods, it sounds like.

8. Default Rick Singleton ADI Court Appeal/aka 13 hour Mag 
    If you have time to read this court appeal (link below). You will see he uses the same tatics with the haunt vendors. Here you will read a judgement against him for over 230,000.00 that he is trying to appeal from a 1 hour photo advertisement where the owner told Rick not to run the ad and he ran it anyway and tried to charge him. Plus you will read a private discussion between them when Rick sent his sales person out of the office so they could talk......Read on.......

http://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/...9080501jsk.pdf
    Last edited by xtremecreator; 06-20-2008 at 06:21 PM.

9. Default  
    I have no doubt that they have read everything.

Keep in mind all we are saying or our opinions, they might not agree with them but they might not like to comment on them either. They might read these forums, take our opinions to heart, and improve or change their policy. Who knows what they are thinking or doing.

But I do not agree with their policy. Maybe I'm just different than most, I don't take someones word of 7000 subscribers, or all that other stuff, I am from Missouri, we're the show me state, so SHOW ME! Also I would not sign any contract with anyone for advertisement for any magazine not just 13th Hour without first getting proof of all media claims. When I deal with radio stations they provide this information to me, hence this publication or any other should be able to provide the same. If they can back up their claims more power to them.

Larry

10. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Patti Ludwinski View Post
    I can vouch for that, MonsterGuts!

Dean, You're one of the nicest and easiest men in the industry to talk to, and you DO respect the pitch of a hard-working salesman (like me), even when your time could be busy filling orders. Thank you!!! It's men like you (and many others) who give this HAUNT INDUSTRY a good name. I would love to see more of your posts from time to time.

Happy Haunting!
    ---Patti
    Awe, shucks. Thanks Patti. You're making me blush.

I can respect anybody who is just doing their job. Heck, many of us here are in sales in one capacity or another. I sell Halloween stuff, haunt owners sell tickets to their attractions, advertisers sell ads and haunt actors sell their character each time patrons walk near them.

But we don't come on too strong and we all know when no means no. 13th Hour is just way to pushy IMHO. I have felt less pressure from used car salesmen.

And Gadget, we avoided contact with them at MHC by discarding the nice guy persona and sending them an email just prior to the show telling them "don't approach us, talk to us or look at us at MHC. We want nothing to do with you". A bit on the jerk side, yes, but at least we didn't have to endure another sales pitch while at MHC. If they blacklist us from ever advertising in their mag, well, I'll worry about that when I have 5K extra that I have burning a hole in my pocket.

As for posting more on here, well, I always felt out of my league here. When you have the likes of big hitters like BodyBagging and Gore Galore regularly posting, a 'lil ole store owner like me can feel a bit intimidated. And I usually only post when I feel I have something relevant to add to a topic, which usually I have nothing relevant to add to anything. But I'll try to post more.

Thread Information