HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: haunted house injuries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default HA 
    Well injuries.......if they asked for it we stand there and laugh at them!!!

No actually we had a few this weekend.

1 drunk dumbass threw his girlfriend at the chainsaw guy...then proceeded to hit the actor. Gee he should have spent the night in jail.
    Someone misshandled that one......

BUT the girl who passed out from her friend headbutting her....that was pure stupidity....we called the bambalance and made sure they got her out of there.....

If it something small...give em a shirt
    If it is something big...hope they don't take your shirt and everyone elses

Just a side note....if someone is doing a hayride and they don't check the whells everynight to make sure they have more than 1 LUGNUT....maybe just maybe they should hire a person to keep track of that stuff.

They are liable for the people on the wagon....they not only could have hurt the customers...but could have killed them.

2. Default  
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    And if you killed a customer it would probably not be the one that you wanted to kill. Death just works that way sometimes.

3. Default  
    While the risk of injury in a haunt and the potential to be sued can't be done away with completely, a few (relatively) simple steps can help to protect both you and your customers.

-- It starts, of course, with the design of the haunt. Design the haunt with safety of the guest in mind. Document the safety measures that you take.

-- Make sure that at least one person in each area is trained in CPR and First Aid. Document who on your staff is trained.

-- Have a written plan on how to deal with injuries.

-- Make sure that all injuries and subsequent actions taken are documented. Have a form for this purpose and people trained to get it filled out (usually managers or security).

-- For God's Sake, do NOT laugh or humiliate someone who is injured, even if it is through their own stupidity. This is begging for a lawsuit, and even if they have no hope of winning, you still have to pay to defend it.

-- Give managers the discretion to do what is necessary to placate angry customers, but don't give away tickets and merchandise to everyone who comes to you with a sob story. We have had many people come up with stories trying to get free tickets (I lost my tickets... the monster was mean to me.. etc.) and while it may seem easiest to just give in, word gets out and the requests multiply.

I know that all the documentation that I recommend seems like a lot of work, but I can tell you that such documentation can save your ass in preventing or defending lawsuits. Such is life, I'm afraid.

Dave

4. Default  
    I totally agree...but can't we laugh at em if they pee in their pants...as long as they laugh a little?

5. Default Re: HA 
    [quote="Ken Spriggs"]Well injuries.......if they asked for it we stand there and laugh at them!!!

No actually we had a few this weekend.

1 drunk dumbass threw his girlfriend at the chainsaw guy...then proceeded to hit the actor. Gee he should have spent the night in jail.
    Someone misshandled that one......

BUT the girl who passed out from her friend headbutting her....that was pure stupidity....we called the bambalance and made sure they got her out of there.....

If it something small...give em a shirt
    If it is something big...hope they don't take your shirt and everyone elses

Just a side note....if someone is doing a hayride and they don't check the whells everynight to make sure they have more than 1 LUGNUT....maybe just maybe they should hire a person to keep track of that stuff.

They are liable for the people on the wagon....they not only could have hurt the customers...but could have killed them.
    The Haunter's Depot
    www.HauntersDepot.com

The Haunter's Depot -- You Can Scare Them! We Can Help! (A division of Haunted Ventures FX.) We are your premier source for Halloween merchandise. Thousands of products available including costumes, masks, static and animated props, changing portraits, makeup supplies, special visual and audio effect equipment, glow necklaces, lightsticks, and MUCH more!

6. Default  

Actually, in the case of the haunted hayride I referred to, the owner of the event DID hire a person to keep track of that stuff. Each and every tractor driver was paid to do a job and one of those jobs was to inspect the equipment that was assigned to them.

Not only did both the owner of the event and the tractor driver in question have loose or missing lug nuts, they also had a screw loose (if you get my meaning) for being so irresonsible!
    The Haunter's Depot
    www.HauntersDepot.com

The Haunter's Depot -- You Can Scare Them! We Can Help! (A division of Haunted Ventures FX.) We are your premier source for Halloween merchandise. Thousands of products available including costumes, masks, static and animated props, changing portraits, makeup supplies, special visual and audio effect equipment, glow necklaces, lightsticks, and MUCH more!

7. Default  
    The haunt I used to work at had a maze where one of the dead ends was a plexiglass wall with an actual path behind it. One night someone was scared so bad they ran fullspeed down the hall and...lets just say we had to redo the frame we attatched the plexiglass to...and the person was a little winded. I had to run to another part of the haunt for a second so he couldn't hear me laughing, but he was ok.

A brilliant idea the farmer had was on the hayride, the pin that locks the trailer to the tractor was on a string, so at a certain point in a field where the ground was level, he would pull the pin and start driving away. People would scream "HEY! HEEYYY YOU LEFT US WAIT IT CAME OFF WAAIITT" and at this point horses would circle the wagon giving you that feeling of being helpless. Brilliant.

but one night this went wrong...the field is in a valley, and the start of the path is on a downward slope. On night on the way down, the pin slipped out. I could screw with everyone and make up a horrible ending but luckily the wagon just rolled into the back of the tractor with a heavy thud, and they quickly replaced the pin and tossed the entire removablepin idea. A very close call considdering there was a river at the bottom of the hill. I don't know how there wasn't a huge disaster with this haunt...

8. Default  
    Ravens Grin Inn, 411 carroll st.mount carroll ill.
    You needed a wagon with automatic brakes on it. When the tongue disconnects the brake turns on.
    A local farmer bought such a wagon from a dealer 35 miles away(where the land is very flat) a wagon load of hay went busting through the woods on it's non-braked speedy way because the "Flat-Lander" has disconnected the wagons auto-tongue brakes.
    This is called "Mount" Carroll for a reason.

9. Default  
    an eight year old kid got his ankle all twisted up when his father stomped all over him running from our saw this year , a rookie fell on the stilts last year and broke his arm , but my fav would have to be a saw room completely filled with smoke and a customer gets smacked in the face by one of the actors chainsaws , nobody saw that one coming
    when god created light the first shadow was born

10. Default  
    Considering someone that got hit in the face at your haunt your "fav" makes me consider you a disgrace to our industry. Our duty is to provide a safe atmosphere for all who attend. Being excited that someone got hurt does nothing more than make you and potentially the whole haunt industry look unprofessional.

Thread Information